Sign in to follow this  
Del

A simple guide to taking lume photos.

Del

Let me say up front that I'm not an expert photographer! However, I have learned a lot about photographing watches in the past 12-18 months (mainly thanks to many folk on here!) and hopefully I can give beginners some help when trying to photograph the lume on their watches - I don't think this has been covered in great detail before but apologies if it has.

(This procedure is based on using a DSLR, but I'm sure the principles will apply to most compact cameras too. For the record, I use an Olympus E420 DSLR with a 14-42mm Zuicko Digital lens.)

The way I set up my lume shots is very straightforward as follows:-

1. Mount camera on a tripod.

2. Set camera to Aperture Priority Mode.

3. Set F-stop to circa F10.

4. Set ISO to 100.

5. Set camera to manual focus.

6. Set camera to 2 second delayed shutter opening (to avoid camera shake).

7. Select location for the shot - a walk-in cupboard is ideal as you have no windows leaking in light.

8. Set up the shot with the lights on - it's much easier to get the manual focus correct when you can actually see what you're photographing! :lol:

9. Take some shots with the lights on to ensure focus and composition is as desired. Keep an eye out for unwanted relfections on the watch crystal. You might also want to hack the movement to stop the second hand blurring as it moves while the shutter is open (likely to be for anywhere between 30 and 60 seconds).

10. Switch off the lights in readiness for the shot.

11. "Charge" the lume in situ with a bright torch (I use an LED Lenser P7) without moving the watch to preserve focus, etc... If you move the watch to charge the lume then you need to start again! :facepalm:

12. Switch off the torch ;) and press the shutter button!

13. You can then experiment with different light levels, e.g. leave the torch on but shine it into the floor or ceiling to give a slight increase in light, open the door or window blinds slightly, etc, etc...

14. Finally, use a photo editing package to crop the photo, adjust the white balance, adjust the colour temperature, put on borders and signature or whatever you think is required - it's amazing how much better you can make a photo with some simple editing! Experiment!

And here is one of mine as an example....a Noob Fiddy (PAM127E). You will see that I've allowed some light into the shot so that you can actually see the dial details while still keeping it dark enough for the lume to shine brightly, not to mention the lit keyboard of a MacBook Air. ;)

I hope this has been helpful.

Have fun guys! :)

7657887948_3068766064_b.jpg

Fiddy 4 by Bjorn Dajoak, on Flickr

Mazz

Awsome thanks

Mystery Shopper

Excellent Del im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

This method is a bit more technical than mine- yours is probably more consistent.

1. Stand in sunshine with watch facing sun.

2. Run into a dark place.

3. Take pic (no flash) in dark place.

4. Examine pic. If crap, delete and start at point 1.

5. If barely respectable, post here.

grb

Brill Del, something I've tried but I just get blackness, and with my parkinsons even the blackness is blurred

KinCaidk

nice one, Del...

oh and Led Lenser P7 - fuck yeah!! Did you see the M7r?

Chiquita Fanjita

My box brownie doesn't have all those settings Del :lol:

Del

:rofl: at ScottM and grb!

@ Kinky - I haven't tried the M7r, nice it's rechareable! The P7 is truly blinding! :D

Thanks guys.

ron76

Thanks Del, will try this later.

Should be a sticky.

greg_r

Nice tute, mate.

I really must buy myself a new tripod one of these days (which is the reason you don't usually see lume shots from me).

DeLaForce

Whaaa I need a decent camera... Cheers Del

Distinct

Very well written. Regardless of the great detail and clarity in the technical instructions, it's art the way the photos come out and we all need to strive for that Del look.

solkryssare

Excellent Del! I need a focking camera........to start with.

Luthier

Manual focus???

:rofl:

RJDamage

I tried this on my iphone but it still sucks..

Me need a camera... I was so ashamed puttin up my watch pics last night...

Del

Manual focus???

And this is funny because................:dunno:

greg_r

Manual focus???

Depends on how dark it is. AF is a lot less reliable in very low light. Far better to manual focus in that situation - at least then you know who to blame when it comes out blurry ;)

gtwc

Excellent Del im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

This method is a bit more technical than mine- yours is probably more consistent.

1. Stand in sunshine with watch facing sun.

2. Run into a dark place.

3. Take pic (no flash) in dark place.

4. Examine pic. If crap, delete and start at point 1.

5. If barely respectable, post here.

Brilliant.

More or less same method as I use - 'cept I can't always upload pics !!!

My vote for 'Tutorial of the Year'.

:giggle:

Del

Manual focus???

Depends on how dark it is. AF is a lot less reliable in very low light. Far better to manual focus in that situation - at least then you know who to blame when it comes out blurry ;)

This is exactly why I use manual focus. :thumbsup2:

Luthier

My point was - there's only mid/top class cameras with manual focus feature.

All these lumix-shlumix point'n'shoot cameras have no manual focus.

Jools

Great guide. :) thanks for takingnthe time to share :) will try this out as I cant get a good lume picture atm for the life of me :-0

dalboy

For your information, easiest way to get the 100% perfect lume shot gtdd. no camera required...........................Send the watch to Del.......

onionbag

Great tutorial Del and a big thumbs-up for the Lenser P7 torch, great for lume shots and finding house numbers at night when delivering take-aways. :D

boneyjr

great info!

Del

:lol: @ dalboy!

@ Luth - my procedure was based on using a DSLR but I'm fairly sure that it could be applied to many of the modern compact cameras that have manual setting options. If not, then most of the principles will be the same, e.g. use a tripod, aperture priority mode, delayed shutter, etc... ;)

I know this is probably not perfect for everyone but I've been asked a few times about how I get my lume shots so thought it was worth posting for reference. I can honestly say that all of my recent lume photos have been taken as per this procedure so I know it works! :thumbsup2:

dalboy

:lol: @ dalboy!

@ Luth - my procedure was based on using a DSLR but I'm fairly sure that it could be applied to many of the modern compact cameras that have manual setting options. If not, then most of the principles will be the same, e.g. use a tripod, aperture priority mode, delayed shutter, etc... ;)

I know this is probably not perfect for everyone but I've been asked a few times about how I get my lume shots so thought it was worth posting for reference. I can honestly say that all of my recent lume photos have been taken as per this procedure so I know it works! :thumbsup2:

Del Fantastic pics as always, you have a talent which eludes me top one to ya mate :notworthy: