Sign in to follow this  
Mirage

U-Boat 42 - 53mm Champagn Dial Pics and Review

Mirage

New member here, have a few reps, Since Kenny inquired about my latest rep here its is :)

It just arrived yesterday from Mary!

First impression is: WHOOO! That is huge!

So before I talk to you about this chunk of heavy metal, here are some shots I took tonight.

RPT_MG_3722.jpg

RPT_MG_3730.jpg

RPT_MG_3737.jpg

RPT_MG_3899.jpg

RPT_MG_3892.jpg

RPT_MG_3895.jpg

Now here is my small review after owning it for 4 hours eye.gif

-Case: Very well finished, although many dealers are advertising it as Titanium, it is not! This watch is made of steel and is very heavy. The back cover is comfortable.

-Dial: Color seems to be spot on if I compare to the OEM website. The markers are well aligned and well defined. No lume on this watch and no date.

-Hands: Nothing to complain other than No Lume.

-Crown: The shaft that deploys to act as a crown is very well made and feels good. It has a spring and a ball that will maintain it in straight position when adjusting the time. The retainer mechanism that holds the Shaft when not adjusting the watch is very cheap. Lots of side play and you can feel the spring rubbing the case when depressing it.

-Bezel: Big disappointment there. The locking lever feels nice and solid, but when released, the bezel is very loose and rattles on the watch and even has side play. Sounds cheap. I believe if I could put a seal between the bezel and the case that would resolve the issue.

-Movement: Another disappointment, this watch is advertised everywhere as being equipped with a manual wind movement and even some dealers will say it is equipped with a A6497. Well guess what, the watch was already running when I unpacked it. And I can easily ear the rotor spinning when shaking it. Must be a 21j @ 21,600bph. Ill open it later to take some shots.

-Bracelet: All Reps I have seen are equipped with leather imitation bracelets. This one is no exception. But even though it is very thick, it is also very flexible.

-Buckle: Very well made, big, heavy, solid... just like the rest of the watch.

Overall, This is the most accurate U-42 rep out there as per my research and I am very satisfied with my purchase. I will wear this watch more often than anticipated (I was a bit scared of its size).

Do you guys think it is too big for my 7.25 inch wrist?

Nisv

Alright, Enjoy :D

Mystery Shopper
Do you guys think it is too big for my 7.25 inch wrist?

Do you lean to the left when you walk?

My U Boat doesn't have any lume either.

James.

Nice! I was looking at these too but was put off from the size, might reconsider now tho! Lovely

Chiquita Fanjita

Very nice mate, I like that a lot :) Shame about the bezel and movement though, but great looking U-Boat nonetheless.

sequoia

Nice review. I like that watch. Let us know what the movement ends up being when you crack open the case.

Mirage

Thank you guys! and for the record, yes I do lean a bit on the left side when walking. Oh! Wait! that might just be my computer bag I am carrying! :D

KeNnY

Thank you very much for these pictures !

Looks super amazing ! :)

Simply I must buy it again :facepalm:

Mirage

Great eye catching watch for 148$ ;)

kan3

Congrats, the watch looks nice.

Member X

A great first start :D

Onlyone

Nice picture, nice review.

Thank you for sharing this!

That's an unusual watch, I like it.

Looking at the wrist shot, your watch fits your wrist.

Mirage

-Movement: Another disappointment, this watch is advertised everywhere as being equipped with a manual wind movement and even some dealers will say it is equipped with a A6497. Well guess what, the watch was already running when I unpacked it. And I can easily ear the rotor spinning when shaking it. Must be a 21j @ 21,600bph. Ill open it later to take some shots.

As Promised, here is a shot of what is inside that monster.... a tiny little mini engine....

I believe this is a simple low beat A21J, is that correct? can anyone confirm please?

RPTU42Inside.jpg

Vector

Thanks for the pics :) definitely my next purchase .

Does anybody know if you can put an ETA movement in this ? :popcorn:

KeNnY

NICE ! I would get an mechanical wind model for me, but amazing WATCH ! VERY NICE !" :)

Vector
NICE ! I would get an mechanical wind model for me, but amazing WATCH ! VERY NICE !" :)

I know , I am torn between the two but I think this one is the closest to the gen . From what i have seen the gen manual wind ones only came in the same dial colour as the one that you got from Mary . If I could put an ETA movement in it would be perfect :)

Dendo

Here is a gen.

U-Boat-U42-thumb-450x337-6971-1.jpg

My rep is an old one and the strap appears to be leather, the case titanium, and the movement hand wind. Only issue is the lack of serial number on the dial like this gen has and your rep has.

Oh and the non-existent lume is not good! The gen does not have lume either AFAIK.

Dendo

My rep:

IMG_6781.jpg

IMG_6785.jpg

IMG_6779.jpg

IMG_6784.jpg

Oh and the flex in the bezel is fine IMHO as the lock at 5 o'clock holds it tight.

Vector

Nice Dendo :)

Dendo

@Kenny - do you want to borrow mine for a while? - I will pay you to lume it and consider modding the model and serial number plate.

Vector

I know , I am torn between the two but I think this one is the closest to the gen . From what i have seen the gen manual wind ones only came in the same dial colour as the one that you got from Mary . If I could put an ETA movement in it would be perfect :)

Wrong , just found a gen manual wind with champagne dial for sale - http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=152539

KeNnY

@Kenny - do you want to borrow mine for a while? - I will pay you to lume it and consider modding the model and serial number plate.

Nah mate, thanks, the blue is not mine type :D and the relume would not look nice mate, as I don't have stylograph. But It mught look vintage if you want, we can vintagize it, add high dome plexi and stuff :D Let me know . BTW Not possible to add model and serial number, that is just TOO MUCH hardcore for me :D