Sign in to follow this  
machiavegli

Mini-review: Brown Eyed Girl (PAM 386 on Gunny)

machiavegli

Just got in my new PAM 386 from Mary and Rochest at watch-international.com and I thought I'd post a few pics.

Since I like guns too, I thought I would pose it with my engraved Ansley H. Fox double barreled shotgun from 1910. The rep (watch not shotgun) has been pretty extensively photographed and/or discussed by others so I'll keep it short! Here are some topics that made me order it:

http://www.rwgboard....showtopic=27422

http://www.rwgboard....showtopic=25299

http://www.rwgboard....showtopic=23652

http://www.rwgboard....showtopic=23002

I ordered from RWG TD's Mary and Rochest and transaction was smooth as ever. On arrival, I nearly had a heart attack when the balance wheel wasn't moving... reading advice on this mechanism on the forums, I gave it a rap on my palm and it started up right away.

Overall, I think it's a great looking watch. The build quality is very good. The lume is standard rep lume, good but not great. It keeps perfect time. The movement via display back (which I have not opened) looks good; the gen actually has the calibre number printed on it and this does not. I don't see much in the way of AR on the crystal, as you can tell because I had to take a lot of pics from an angle (so you didn't have a big old camera reflection). Any flecks or odd reflections are dust or fingerprints; the watch arrived immaculate. Many people have commented that the "diamond like coating" is easy to chip so you have to baby it.

I asked Peter Guni at Gunny Straps (http://gunnystraps.blogspot.com/) what strap he would recommend for it, he said the 339 model would go best, so I ordered that as soon as QC pics were in. The last photo has a comparison of the rep strap and the Gunny... as you'd expect, the rep strap can't hold a candle to Gunny Strap awesomeness.

1335575060.jpg

1335575063.jpg

1335575061.jpg

1335575058.jpg

1335575057.jpg

1335575064.jpg

1335575053.jpg

1335575056.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this! Anyone calling it "purple" gets their ass kicked by me and the Fox on the skeet range!

-Mach

Rav747

nice watch and shots! wear it well :)

James.

Lovely shotgun.

Oh and the watch isn't half bad either ;)

dingle

Love the strap :)

J.Eric

Awesome!! Enjoy!

LeandroBR

This strap is gorgeous ! Congrats mate ! What a combo !! :clap:

machiavegli

Thanks guys!!

-Mach

Del

Very nice, and great pics too! :thumbsup2:

Caliper

Great pictures!!!

Pihlippe

Wow Stunning :thumbsup2:

Very nice

Amit

Great watch gun an pics

gtwc

Great pics.

Great looking watch.

Sorry to hear that the DLC coating is fragile - I thought it was supposed to be pretty much indesctructible....

Oh, I think I hear Prince singing 'Purple Rain...............'

:giggle:

DeLaForce
Great pics.

Great looking watch.

Sorry to hear that the DLC coating is fragile - I thought it was supposed to be pretty much indesctructible....

:lol:

kolchak

Very cool pics. Will have to get same strap for my 286 if i decide to keep her.

Awesome side by side too - if you're ever in MD and want to shoot some skeet LMK!

powderfreak

That's a real beauty, especially on that strap! Very good taste, Sir ;)

machiavegli
Great pics.

Great looking watch.

Arrrrgggh I knew this was coming!

osteocruncher

What a beauty!! Enjoy

machiavegli

Thanks, Bonecrusher!

-Mach

sam77

looking good!

watchmonger

Very nice, indeed! :thumbsup2:

machiavegli

Update: brown PVD coating coming off little by little at the lugs... For now still on the bottom side of the watch but I'm now leaning against future purchases of PVD coated watches (member #8 Luthier has come out pretty strong against and now I think he's right)

-Mach

James.

Update: brown PVD coating coming off little by little at the lugs... For now still on the bottom side of the watch but I'm now leaning against future purchases of PVD coated watches (member #8 Luthier has come out pretty strong against and now I think he's right)

-Mach

+1

For this very reason the next PAM I get will be a 390 rather then the 386, 438 or the 360 - all absolutly stunning, stunning watches. The PVD removal hasn't happened to my 2 yet, but when it inevitably does It'll ruin the watches IMO. Depending on how obvious it is of course.

Unfortunate, IMO the tuttonero PAM's are the best looking of all.

machiavegli

-Mach

+1

For this very reason the next PAM I get will be a 390 rather then the 386, 438 or the 360 - all absolutly stunning, stunning watches. The PVD removal hasn't happened to my 2 yet, but when it inevitably does It'll ruin the watches IMO. Depending on how obvious it is of course.

Unfortunate, IMO the tuttonero PAM's are the best looking of all.

So true, Semaj! I love the all black PAMs and >50% of my most wished-for watches aren't plain stainless, but every gold plate, brown PVD, black ceramic I've owned has gotten an occasional chip that a gen "diamond like coating" wouldn't have gotten. Grrrrr.

James.

a 'PVD' PAM would be one of the few gen PAM's i'd but purely for that fact. Pity about the controversy with the 360 - listed RRP @ $6k or there abouts and was flipped by paneristi (they were able to gain exclusive access to buy from panerai before the general public) the price skyrocketed because none were left, it began to get flipped by the early buyers at higher and higher prices, you can now pick one up, 2/3 years after it came out, for $25/30k.

Such a shame.

If I had a spare 20k to drop on a PAM purely as an investment, wouldn't go further then the 339. Awesome looking watch that will only go up in price.

Anyone wanna lend me $20k?

machiavegli
a 'PVD' PAM would be one of the few gen PAM's i'd but purely for that fact. Pity about the controversy with the 360 - listed RRP @ $6k or there abouts and was flipped by paneristi (they were able to gain exclusive access to buy from panerai before the general public) the price skyrocketed because none were left, it began to get flipped by the early buyers at higher and higher prices, you can now pick one up, 2/3 years after it came out, for $25/30k.

Such a shame.

If I had a spare 20k to drop on a PAM purely as an investment, wouldn't go further then the 339. Awesome looking watch that will only go up in price.

Anyone wanna lend me $20k?

Payment sent :)