Sign in to follow this  
offshore

History of a legend, and a NOS vintage gen.

offshore

Guys, Indulge me here with a little history lesson.

Founded in 1946, the Squale brand name is a synonym for Swiss Made professional diving watches.

In the beginning, Squale produced watches and watch cases for various Swiss brands who didn't have the knowledge to build professional dive timepieces. The smaller brands used the Squale logo on their dial as a sign of quality. In 1950, Squale began to produce their own range of professional diving watches under the Squale name marking the beginning of the brands institutional history.

At the end of End 1960`s, Squale introduced their first 1000 meter divers watch with a unique glass on flexible mountings that didn't use or need a Helium release valve. Squale started to supply the elite corps of a large number of armed forces, including the parachutists corps "Folgore Brigade" part of the Italian Airforces ( "Aeronautica Militare Italiana") and the Italian Navy’s Diving Corps, the "Marina Militare Italiana". This made Squale legendary for quality and they became the benchmark brand for dive watches internationally, a status it has enjoyed for several decades.

Squale for decades has become synonymous with quality and reference point of diving watches worldwide.

Super, Master, Medium, and 1000M cases, were sold to brands such as Altanus Genève, Arlon, Potens Prima, Prima Flic, Jean Perret Geneva, Ocean Diver / Blandford, Deman Watch, Margi, Berio, Eagle Star Genève, La Spirotechnique, Wertex, Carlson Tavernier Geneva and Sinn.

500m Cases with crown at 4 were sold to brands like Airin, Dodane, Blancpain, Tag Heuer, Doxa, Zeno and Auricoste. Just to to name a few. Zeno lately but more in particular Tag Heuer, Doxa and Auricoste in their Spirotechnique versions and Blancpain in the Bund 3H.

These gave Squale international prestige in the early 70s

Thanks to the commercial success. In 1974, Squale decided to market their own watches as an independent entity, with their own cases, and now alone with Squale name on the dial.

The relaunch of The Squale brand in February 2010 and its new production in Grenchen in the Swiss Jura valley portend an exciting future for the brand.

Now, an interesting side light of the relocation of Squale from Italy to Switzerland, was that some limited quantities of original 1970 cases and dials were located in the warehouse.

Squale have decided to package them with new movements and straps, boxes and 2 years warranty, and offer them for sale at very reasonable pricing. The only issue is that the lume on some dials is not 100%, as would be understood. You can see some of the modela being offered by a UK company here-http://www.watchgecko.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/39/osCsid/7a780c5afb387ffcd876cc80633cb393

Even more important, most if not all of these see here, will be able to be purchased, at even better prices than these, via myself, from a contact I have. I have sought the Admin approval to offer these watches FS, and RWG will benefit from any sales.

Also, the new release Pro series as seen here will also be available at much reduced pricing to anyone interested. These watches are at the ponty end of dive watch design and construction.http://www.longislandwatch.com/Squale_Professional_Dive_Watches_s/1866.htm

There will be approx 40 watches being shipped over the next week or so; if anyone has any interest in a specific Squale model, please contact me by PM, Let me know the model and any specifics in dial/bezel/strap config, and I will get that model quoted and advise you. Pricing will include registered post to your home country so please list that as well.

Here is an opportunity to get, not only into a gen vintage dive watch, a watch from a manufacturer with a huge history, but also to find one in NOS condition. There are VERY limited numbers, and when they are gone, they are gone.

Offshore

seclark007

Nice! Thanks for the info :thumbsup2:

trailboss99

Bump

Member X

Ooh, some of those are nice! :thumbsup:

Awesome opportunity, thank you for offering it to us :)

Do you know what sort of percentage saving we might be looking at? :)

offshore

Do you know what sort of percentage saving we might be looking at? :)

II just quoted one forum member a model he selected. UK price = $375, his price $250. So that one was 33% off.

Probably more on the top end stuff.

O/S

gB.

Great opportunity. Thanks for sharing. Will have to think about this... :Thinking:

:D

Member X

Ooooh, that is a good saving!

I will do some calculations, but I fear the end result is I need more money... :facepalm::lol:

offshore

The first order of 9+ watches will be placed on Monday for buyers from various forums.

Mainly for the vintage NOS items, as they will always be limited in numbers, and therefore rare pieces in the future.

If anyone here is interested, shoot me a PM.

O/S

DFH

Thanks for sharing, my man! Great history - love learning the background on brands....

Cheers!

Member X

If I hadn't spent all my money on bloody watches... :rolleyes::facepalm:

offshore

Did this post slip through basically unnoticed?

I am amazed that I didn't even get a single email request for prices of all the models from anyone here.

When an historical vintage watch with a genuine 2824 ETA auto mech movement, in NOS condition and with 2 years warranty is on offer, and there is no one interested in finding out that it is cheaper than the reps they have been buying?

Maybe I'm becoming > :oldman:

O/S

Mystery Shopper

The Squale Diver's Watch 1521 - 026/A Yellow Dial is stunning!

trailboss99

Bump

Member X

I found this site has some Squale stuff with great pictures :)

http://chronomaster.co.uk/squale_watches.htm

Have you quoted for any of the 2002 series yet, Col?

There's one I want, and also the 1515-005 and the 1526-026A but I literally have zero money :facepalm: :(

trailboss99

Ask offshore, not me mate.

Member X

Sorry, I did mean that Col, not you, Col :lol: unless O/S isn't called Col, in which case I think I am confused and need my medication...

Nurse!! :D

offshore

PM sent.

O/S

graman

Awesome watches......gonna have to get me one of these...

Mystery Shopper

2002 series yet, Col?

X- not all of us are called 'Col'- some are called 'Shane' with the remaining majority called 'Bruce'.

offshore

X, most call me arsehole, and prick, but my mum prefers Alan! :)

To answer the question I have quoted 2 of the 2002 series, also sold 2 of the 2003 series.

Still a few vintage NOS left, Email me for lists [email protected].

O/S

greg_r

These are great value, guys... don't miss out!

Baldrick
X- not all of us are called 'Col'- some are called 'Shane' with the remaining majority called 'Bruce'.

And some of the blokes are called Sheila as well.............................not to mention Priscilla :D

Great deal O/S.....you guys should be jumping all over these....original watches from a great house at rep prices......bluddy steal...if only I didn't have so many dive watches :D

Member X

2002 series yet, Col?

X, most call me arsehole, and prick, but my mum prefers Alan! :)

To answer the question I have quoted 2 of the 2002 series, also sold 2 of the 2003 series.

Still a few vintage NOS left, Email me for lists [email protected].

O/S

:lol:

I have no idea why I thought you were called Col! :wacko:

You aussies, you all look the same... ;):lol:

Will email later today, cheers! :)

gB.
Did this post slip through basically unnoticed? I am amazed that I didn't even get a single email request for prices of all the models from anyone here. When an historical vintage watch with a genuine 2824 ETA auto mech movement, in NOS condition and with 2 years warranty is on offer, and there is no one interested in finding out that it is cheaper than the reps they have been buying? Maybe I'm becoming > :oldman: O/S

I don't know. I get the history behind them, but none jump out at me TBO. Every vintage NOS one I like, the case size is too small and/or a quartz movement. The newer models are nicely sized at 42mm or so, but none seem anything special. Maybe I just currently own too many dive watches as it is and these all look like something I already have.... :facepalm:

I was close to PM'ing you to buy though. But, sorry...

:(

offshore

I don't know. I get the history behind them, but none jump out at me TBO. Every vintage NOS one I like, the case size is too small and/or a quartz movement. The newer models are nicely sized at 42mm or so, but none seem anything special. Maybe I just currently own too many dive watches as it is and these all look like something I already have....

Each to their own. See....I get any watch which has this sort of history, and as long as the original watch came as a quartz, I have no problem with quartz movements.

As for size, a vintage can only be the size it was. In the 70's 40mm was huge, and 36mm the norm.

32mm and 34mm were seen as the standard for work watches, and 36mm the standard for a leisure/sports dive watch. it was only the pro series which ventured over 40mm.

After all Squale were building cases for all the big names, Heuer(Tag) Doxa, Blancpain. And they did have various sizes, and depth ratings, what is FS here is only what has been found. Maybe back then, these were not the popular models? There is 1 model with a green dial which still 40 pieces remain FS. Its sort of a green /black cats eye, and I have one inbound just to see exactly what it looks like.

The thing which I felt was escaping people, was that here was a piece off history, which will never be available again, and many of the pieces, with (new) ETA movements, both quartz and mechanical, were available at prices equal to, and in some cases below, what members have been paying for reps with Chinese movements. AND they had 2 years warranty!

Just didn't seem equitable to me.

Anyway, plenty now sold, new orders for more ...whatever of the last pieces I can acquire are in.

Then it will be just well priced current model stock.

FWIW, I don't think they do themselves any favour with their available images, and I am looking to get a good photographer on the job, to capture their true beauty.

Offshore