Sign in to follow this  
KeNnY

AP Diver V3 waterproofing for mianos

KeNnY

Hey all,

sooooooo, as mianos came to Slovakia for summer holiday as each year, he contacted me if I will be able to waterproof his AP :) and if you have not noticed our GTG picture what we had 4.August 2012

YZLI9.jpeg

He already had it on his wrist, so you know I was successful ! :D

SO lets see pictures of disassembled watch. The only thing I can say about the construction of the AP Diver V3, is that it is AMAZING !!!

So here is watch brand new, with Sapphire sticker from Toro :lol:

DSC_2197.jpg

DSC_2198.jpg

When removing caseback you can see the antimagnetic cover

DSC_2199.jpg

DSC_2200.jpg

And amazing quality Selita SW200 under it (I think these are best movements what you can use in REPS !!!)

DSC_2201.jpg

Here you can see the Blue tint on the date window

DSC_2203.jpg

And also you can already see differences between the V2 and V1 vs V3, the construction is totally new !

DSC_2204.jpg

DSC_2205.jpg

After removing the screws that hold bezel, you have this awesome picture !

DSC_2206.jpg

DSC_2207.jpg

The bezel with bezel insert are together and teh bezel insert alone has got ball bearing !

DSC_2208.jpg

You can see 1 black rubber is outer gasket and internal gasket is to press fit the bezel with bezel insert.

DSC_2209.jpg

Another amazing update, each screw has got its own GASKET !!!

DSC_2210.jpg

And super amazing another update, the crystal is pressed from outside in !!! Not in different way like on the V2/V1

DSC_2211.jpg

DSC_2212.jpg

Sooooo lets waterproof ! :D we can get the UV adhesive glue and lets do it

DSC_2226.jpg

And here is something I need to say. It is not that easy to pres even the crystal ! The inner bezel assembly can get out from the main bezel. Imagine this the main outer bezel what has got the 8 screws, then the gasket for crystal and then the inner bezel assembly. Without the inner bezel assembly the gasket and crystal have no down border to give force not to push more the crystal with gasket from the main outer bezel when installing ! So the steps of assembly are, to main outer bezel, you put from down side the inner bezel assembly, then from top you put the gasket, then you need some good die that will give pressure to the inner bezel assembly so it will not flip out when you push the crystal in. I had to do that numerous times before I got the crystal nice and even (often the crystal was pressed on one side more...). Now I understand why could have VAC problems getting the crystal even, because of the construction, you can't push it to much, and just wait that it will be even, you have to push a little and check which side you need to push more, and where there is no border on back for the crystal and gasket, the gasket can move when crystal tries to fit in, this making again the job... maybe on 10th time I was able to get it in, then I again get out the bezel insert assembly and glued with UV glue the gasket and crystal borders avoiding leaks. But it looks nice now and safe :lol:

DSC_2227.jpg

Now lets assembly the whole watch back together. Grease the orings and put them into the place. And here another flaw. On the V1/V2 versions the innger gasket was to small , and here the inner gasket it too big.. :facepalm: Again on 3rd try was pressed correctly.

DSC_2228.jpg

Bezel screws with greased orings were put back to place and screwed in, caseback put back and Tested without movement first so we know it is waterproof.

DSC_2231.jpg

When the green light was on, means that was waterproof, we can assemble the whole watch back again ! :lol:

DSC_2232.jpg

DSC_2233.jpg

And now check the movement if it holds time correctly, hmmmm was regulated, but not meet my specifications of regulated movement. So before

DSC_2234.jpg

DSC_2235.jpg

And now when I played with it

DSC_2236.jpg

DSC_2237.jpg

Mianos told me, it keeps great time ! :lol: so mission completed ! :lol: Lets put back the rotor, antimagnetic cover and assemble the whole watch

DSC_2238.jpg

DSC_2239.jpg

And when completelly assembled lets try the pressure testing again 4 BARs are good :lol:

DSC_2240.jpg

Sticker back on, and give it back to mianos, Spa treatment successful ! :lol:

DSC_2242.jpg

Thanks for watching all ! :bow:

lapinobel

I'm very much thinking about getting one of these, and want to waterproof it too. Can you do this? If so, how much would that cost me? (I live in EU).

YoungGPS

Another work of art Kenny. :thumbsup:

solkryssare

Great work as usual kenny!

WebWind

Great work!

Do not tell VAC that you can do this, it can ruin his pricing policy :D

jeffw69

very nice Kenny, I am leaning more and more everyday to update to a V3.

KeNnY

I'm very much thinking about getting one of these, and want to waterproof it too. Can you do this? If so, how much would that cost me? (I live in EU).

Get this mate, it is awesome piece ! :) As you have seen from these photos I can do it :lol:

Another work of art Kenny. :thumbsup:

Thank you mate :)

Great work as usual kenny!

Thank you very much Solkry ! :)

Great work!

Do not tell VAC that you can do this, it can ruin his pricing policy :D

hahaha :D thanks mate ! :D Well we need GBOGH opinion about this one :lol:

very nice Kenny, I am leaning more and more everyday to update to a V3.

Thank you Jeff ! :) get the V3 , you can swim with it after is waterproofed ! :lol:

MadeOfCheese

Nice one Kenny - excellent news about the construction, especially as my V3 arrived today :thumbsup:

I'm having problems getting the strap on though - it came disassembled, and the rubber strap is really tight - is there a technique to getting it back on?

KeNnY

Thanks MOC ! :)

hmmmm the rubber strap without the metal inserts ? well you must push the metal inserts to the rubber strap and put in the screw with the tube and screw them together one screwdriver on each side and screw them in

gtwc

Great work as per usual KeNnY.

The more I see the V3, the more I want to replace my V2...

Drat !!!!

KeNnY

Great work as per usual KeNnY.

The more I see the V3, the more I want to replace my V2...

Drat !!!!

thanks mate! :D I think you should, get the AP V3 With Selita movement, how I will on Christmas, simply amazing watch and amazing quality movement ! :)

Pihlippe

Nice post Matej :thumbsup2:

Love posts with pictures :D

KeNnY

Nice post Matej :thumbsup2:

Love posts with pictures :D

THANK YOU BUDDY ! :lol:

You too ???? me too !!!! :lol:

MadeOfCheese

Yeah, I get the theory behind it - it's the practice I'm having issues with ;)

It's really tight and I'm having major issues getting it all together.

Oh well, I guess brute force is the key here :thumbsup:

gB.

Nicely done Kenny!

KeNnY

Yeah, I get the theory behind it - it's the practice I'm having issues with ;)

It's really tight and I'm having major issues getting it all together.

Oh well, I guess brute force is the key here :thumbsup:

Good luck mate, watch out for your fingers !!! :)

Nicely done Kenny!

Thank you very much GBOGH ! :)

kolchak

great job Kenny & I agree with you about the Selita SW200 movement - it's so smooth!

With the excellent construction, could you recommend swimming with a stock V3? My seller supposedly swam with it but I'm not taking any chances (yet).

Member X

Great pictorial, thank you :)

I really do want one of these :facepalm: but the bank account says no!! :(

KeNnY

great job Kenny & I agree with you about the Selita SW200 movement - it's so smooth!

With the excellent construction, could you recommend swimming with a stock V3? My seller supposedly swam with it but I'm not taking any chances (yet).

Thank you mate ! :) Yes, after waterproofing, sealing the crystal with UV, greasing all orings, and testing the watch atleast 4 BARs, should be safe for half a year, then get it tested again, like with any GEN watch you need to retest it to be safe :)

Great pictorial, thank you :)

I really do want one of these :facepalm: but the bank account says no!! :(

Thank you mate :) yeah me to !!! That is why I agreed with marvellous replica, on Christmas I going to have this baby from MR ! :lol:

MadeOfCheese

Love this watch!!!

(Finally managed to get the strap on, btw ;))

gB.

(Finally managed to get the strap on, btw ;))

:ttiwwop:

:Whistle:

mianos

I agree. Kenny deserves a thumbs up award for this post. I love the photos. This version looks very like gen even when in pieces. Even though I have no buyer's remorse, the difference between my older modded and the new V3 is minimal on the wrist when you don't look very hard. My main dislike was the cyclops on the date window but it is really not that bad. Interestingly both watches have great lume, the original one relumed by goin, but the actual lume on both is slightly different in terms of initial brightness and fade.

johnnoblin

Interestingly enough, I tried on a gen at a nearby store and got them to let me take it outside to see the lume... It was absolute shit compared to what the stock lume on the V3 is and not even comparable to a relume job. Perhaps it takes a long time to charge, who knows.

P4GTR

Excellent work Kenny. Thanks for sharing the pics and demo!

alldaylong

Nice write up and pics Matej

Looking forward to seeing what you do to my 2 watches when they eventually get to you