Sign in to follow this  
Cyril_Clunge

Octavio Garcia - A Profile

Cyril_Clunge

watchmaking-design956446s.jpg

Octavio Garcia - Chief Artistic Officer, Audemars Piguet

4380 Miles

It's a long way from Chicago, Illinois to Le Brassus in the Valee de Joux, 4380 miles as the crow flies in fact, but in some regards it is a world away. One of five children of a Mexican immigrant family in the US's third largest city, Octavio Garcia would perhaps have seemed to be a poor bet if you were looking for the future designer of some of the world's most desirable timepieces. Those odds would have lengthened even further when you consider that the young Octavio dropped out of high school to earn a wage. "My childhood was very contrasted, but rich with emotions," says Garcia, who as a young man worked odd jobs in the steel industry, automotive plants and the like whilst continuing to study, eventually earning his GED.

By the age of 22 the restless Garcia took the decision to move to Europe, a step that led him to meet a Swiss girl whom he would later marry. Following the course of true love, he moved to Switzerland and decided to once more pick up his education. "I didn't speak French then, so needed an English speaking school" explains Garcia. He found the Art Centre College of Design, "I had always loved architecture and felt my strength lay in art. When I went to an open day at the school, I saw a man in front of a scale model BMW, sawing it in half. I went over to talk to him and it turned out he was an automotive design student. and this was his project. I was hooked." The Art Centre offered a generalist programme in design, "That gives you the basis to create just about anything from a car to a toaster, this was a big advantage," he says. "It gave you the tools to play any kind of music you want."

Graduating in 1996 with a BSc in Industrial Design, he initially started a business with two friends that blended both web and furniture design. Continuing his musical metaphor, it would be fair comment to say that Garcia knew he wanted to make music, he just didn't yet know with which instrument he should do so. Eventually, in 1999, that focus was found when he took up a postion at the Omega Watch Company. "Omega is a huge, well-oiled machine, and it was a great place to learn how to understand watches; it was where I was really exposed to the whole horological thing......in terms of pure design, it was then that I realised that watches were emotional products."

It was a job advertisement in a local Swiss newspaper that took him to Audemars Piguet in 2003, and of the company Garcia says, "It is the only high-end company that experiments with new ideas." Upon taking up his new position, his first task was to contemporise the brand's classic collection, evidenced by the updated Equation of Time watch. His second significant achievement has been refining, and some would say, improving the iconic Royal Oak collection.

ap_sihh_1_48.jpg

Created in 1972 by Gerald Genta (seen above with Garcia), the octagonal steel sports watch is arguably the most important luxury wristwatch of the latter half of the 20th Century. That it is a classic is beyond doubt and daring to alter it was a daunting task but one made necessary by the introduction of a new movement. The redesign had to be one that people wouldn't notice and Garcia applied himself to the task with a trademark meticulousness. "You can't cheat with a Royal Oak," he explains, "it was important to respect each component, from the bracelet to the thickness of the caseback. The idea was to take some of the elements that were incoherent and clean them up. The hands did not feel that they were part of the watch and now they are faceted in the same way as the case. It is the little details that make the difference and they had been overlooked in the past."

He was responsible for the design of the 40th Anniversary collection including the Openworked Extra-Thin Royal Oak Limited Edition (below). Designing a new collection for a legendary line is a daunting task, but one which garcia approached with enthusiasm. "We discussed what we could do to pay homage to the 1972 ground breaking watch, and agreed that offering pure, sophisticated beauty was key. Often I am inspired by fashion or the automotive industry, but for this creation, I turned to our museum, where I got a great deal of inspiration."

tumblr_luiknsqjNY1qzns6no1_500.png

Garcia's Montoya was the first timepiece to take functional elements from F1 cars and transfer them across as aesthetic highlights, and in 2006 he completely recreated the once staid Millenary case into a wonder of horological architecture. Since his arrival he has overseen some of the modern era's most desired watches, including the Reubens Barrichello Offshore, The Maserati influenced MC-12 Tourbillon Chronograph, the Deadbeat Seconds Millenary watch and many more besides.

"I am drawn by the aeasthetics of the brand, and love to take it to the next level in all I design. Our clients are demanding and expect excitement from us. We need to deliver."

Amit

someone has a man crush

RichardMiami

someone has a man crush

Dunno bout that, but I am a HUGE Gerald Genta fan - see my sig pic for an example - If that qualifies as a man crush, then I am guilty!

Garcia is following in the footsteps of a true master.

solkryssare

Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam job!!!! One day I'll kick him off his chair :lol:

Nisv

I was just thinking about you Sol (but not in a gay way).

Yes, you would make him look like a kindergarten artist.

:Whistle:

gtwc

Yep, looks like CC is going through a 'bromance' period.........

:giggle:

Nice fuckin' watches tho' !!!!!!

dingle

Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam job!!!! One day I'll kick him off his chair :lol:

true this is.......:Whistle:

sconehead

...kick?

...you'll split the crotch of those skimpy tight jeans you wear for sure...:P

jeffw69
:rofl:

Cyril_Clunge

I don't know why I bother sometimes :facepalm:

onionbag

I don't know why I bother sometimes :facepalm:

So, to get us back on topic..............................Sol's a fine figure of a man, in his skimpy tight jeans..............I'm sure. ;)

Kleen™

Excellent read, CC!