Sign in to follow this  
dmpmassive

TC LV Sub Type II

dmpmassive

TC LV Submariner Type II

I'm not exactly sure why, however just before Christmas I found myself thoroughly absorbed in the multitudes of detailed, informative and thought provoking threads concerning who does the best sub*. While immersed in these vast, knowledge rich, encyclopedic discussions, I had something of an epiphany. I became quite quickly convinced that a Submariner was required in my watch box.

I researched the various options and then applied my always infallible "Why pay $ for it something when I can pay $$$$ ?" logic formula. So it was decided; a TC LV Submariner was my menu selection du jour.

I contacted TC on Dec 22, paid shortly after and had my watch on the Jan 16th. TC was very helpful with helping me find a proper Gen insert for the Type II I ordered (which ships without insert). My insert shipped from Germany and arrived about a week before the timepiece.

Snapping the insert in is harder than it looks. There's a YouTube video out there of some guy doing it rather easily; however, he's probably not using brand new parts and the wear on them must make it a bit looser. Ultimately I was able to pop it in using a similar technique, although I had to resort to pushing the last little bit in against a micro-fiber cloth draped over a table edge. It was a "more fingers needed" type of affair.

The LV Sub is remarkably well made. Everything feels nice a tight and the finish is exemplary. I'm no expert on the 16610 Submariner so I can't really go into any evaluation of the pieces accuracy beyond saying that I'm elated with it. I'm certain that there are many comparative threads out there if such things are important to you.

TC was extremely responsive to all my communications with answers within 24hrs to every email. Additionally he was always very helpful in his responses (especially with respect to the bezel insert).

In closing, my only regret is not paying the extra for the Type I so I could get the Green TC insert which I'm now coveting every time I see it. Oh well, maybe I'll buy a Gen LV insert. They're not too expensive right? :P

*Detailed, informative and thought provoking threads on who does the best sub are products of the author's imagination and do not actually exist. Any reference to actual detailed, informative and thought provoking threads either living or dead are purely coincidental.

Enjoy the photos!

8393710917_f12e65c2d4_b.jpg

8394794744_e7b21758ee_b.jpg

8394794890_3bd8a323b3_b.jpg

8394795054_5c29db8a08_b.jpg

8393711423_5f92227bdf_b.jpg

8394793728_48291155ba_b.jpg

8393710071_3f1f617dbd_b.jpg

8393710187_a294c5ab34_b.jpg

8393710323_b9e0a0ac69_b.jpg

8393710417_d599e2d9e8_b.jpg

8394794314_799e371a33_b.jpg

8393710657_3827b8e634_b.jpg

8394794518_a04d3406ec_b.jpg

8393711537_57867f33e1_b.jpg

8393711651_ac252049ac_b.jpg

8393711753_e1d549edff_b.jpg

I enjoy photographing my watches as much as I do collecting them! For more photography from my watch box check out my collection via the link in my signature.

Cheers,

dmpmassive

michaeltravers

Fab photos what did you take them with ?

BigBuys

Spectacular photography! Have you been channeling Del during dream-time?

Welcome to the TC Sub Club! We now number in the hundreds, or even thousands possibly. I too have decided to add an LV to my TC Sub Club, if I can find one!

peakpower

Wow! GREAT pictures! I love the TC Subs! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy wearing it!

dingle

Awesome watch and awesome pics :)

datalord

Love this watch. It is easily one of the best Submariners I've ever seen. It sounds like it was hard to source the gen parts. Would you still recommend this option for the best Sub available under 1k?

James.

Love this watch. It is easily one of the best Submariners I've ever seen. It sounds like it was hard to source the gen parts. Would you still recommend this option for the best Sub available under 1k?

100%

Wrist-Time

Fantastic photos of a lovely watch.

Could you fit an insert using a Case/Crystal press with appropriate dies, or do you need to fit it by hand?

dmpmassive

Wasn't that hard to get the insert. You just need to know where to look. Expect to pay $200-$275 depending on condition and if it's still factory packaged. That's for a black insert. If you want to get a Gen Green LV insert, they cost almost as much as the watch... Best wait for TC's (Type I) green insert to come available.

Fantastic photos of a lovely watch. Could you fit an insert using a Case/Crystal press with appropriate dies, or do you need to fit it by hand?

You could use a press, but you'd need to be really careful about the diameter. I'd consult TC about the correct diameter to use before attempting that. I'd also want to notch bezel press insert for the pearl as not to damage it. Inserting by hand was a challenge, but at no time was I concerned about damaging anything. It was more a frustration as you have to apply pressure evenly in multiple places or the bit you just got snapped in, pops back out...

dmpmassive
Fab photos what did you take them with ?

Canon 5dMKII and various lenses.

Spectacular photography! Have you been channeling Del during dream-time? Welcome to the TC Sub Club! We now number in the hundreds, or even thousands possibly. I too have decided to add an LV to my TC Sub Club, if I can find one!
Wow! GREAT pictures! I love the TC Subs! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy wearing it!
Awesome watch and awesome pics :)

Cheers guys!

SSTEEL

Stunning photos, you done yourself proud with those, and of course the subject matter. I have been in touch with TC regarding an LV Green insert, but not had a response yet.

peakpower
Stunning photos, you done yourself proud with those, and of course the subject matter. I have been in touch with TC regarding an LV Green insert, but not had a response yet.

I don't think TC can obtain just the LV Green insert from his supplier. I know the only way previously to get a TC LV insert was to to buy his TC LV Type 1 Sub. Unless, things have changed, the best bet is to go gen, either new or slightly used.

SSTEEL

I guess I best stay on the look out for Gen insert them me thinks :)

Pob

Very nice ;)

Now i have one noob question to all sub experts! I started to think about TC sub and i'm train to find good gen insert but i'm little confused! There are few on sale around but the problem is they don't look the same!!!! On some 10 is perfectly centered and on some it is not! The 5 and 4 look diferent on some as well! Is that possible? Some have bolder numbers some not! Are there diferent gen inserts?

Thanks for your help guys!

Pob

What is the flat 4? Some inserts are called flat 4 inserts and they look different! Like this one

enenavy7.jpg

And this one for sure not the same insert and both are gen watches on sale

made3a8a.jpg

Sorry for asking this in your topic ;)

SSTEEL

Maybe something to do with the number 4 of 40 on the insert?

peakpower

I'm not an expert, but I know plenty of people that are... the "Flat 4" is the old-style bezel insert. I believe the last of the "Flat 4" inserts were made for the early models of the "F series" Submariners ( approx. 2003-2004). Rolex then switched to the "pointy 4" insert for the remaining production of the "F Series" and all subsequent series.

The "flat" or "pointy" refers to the inside shape of the number "4" of the bezel number "40".

Pob

Yes they are diferent! The problem is i don't want to end up buying gen insert for 200+$ and get the rep in stead! Is there a way to tell 100% when you see the insert it is gen or not?

peakpower

Someone people have "eagle's eyes" and can spot a rep insert from across the room, especially if the pearl is really bad or the numbers are the wrong font. But, personally, I've seen some very good rep bezel inserts on the BK subs. So, if you are going to splurge for a gen insert, choose a reputable seller, or try to find a gen insert that is still sealed in the Rolex packaging.

964boy

Very nice mate.

I thinks I've got one of those !!!!! somewhere.

dingle

I'm not an expert, but I know plenty of people that are... the "Flat 4" is the old-style bezel insert. I believe the last of the "Flat 4" inserts were made for the early models of the "F series" Submariners ( approx. 2003-2004). Rolex then switched to the "pointy 4" insert for the remaining production of the "F Series" and all subsequent series.

The "flat" or "pointy" refers to the inside shape of the number "4" of the bezel number "40".

^^^^this is correct :)

dvcspl

someone lemme hold $1000 to get this watch and a gen insert.

i take all forms of payment and can submit a tax receipt for your donation. :) :) :) :)

dmpmassive

Yes they are different! The problem is i don't want to end up buying gen insert for 200+$ and get the rep in stead! Is there a way to tell 100% when you see the insert it is gen or not?

The pearl is the business end of insert. If you get to know what a gen pearl looks like you should be able to spot a fake one without too much trouble. That is until TC perfects his pearl fabrication process!

When I was purchasing, I just forwarded pics of the insert I was considering to TC politely asking what he thought. You could always do the same here. There are guys on here who could spot a rep insert at a thousand yards...

Register on the Rolex Forum and keep an eye on their Accessories Sales forum. You'll see packaged and tagged 16610's appear for $250-$300. Unpackaged ones show up around $200. The green 16610LV inserts are close to $500 regardless of packaging. You've got to be fast, they go quick. You should probably register with a different handle than this forum, and drop nary a peep about reps over there!

dingle

Yes they are different! The problem is i don't want to end up buying gen insert for 200+$ and get the rep in stead! Is there a way to tell 100% when you see the insert it is gen or not?

The pearl is the business end of insert. If you get to know what a gen pearl looks like you should be able to spot a fake one without too much trouble. That is until TC perfects his pearl fabrication process!

When I was purchasing, I just forwarded pics of the insert I was considering to TC politely asking what he thought. You could always do the same here. There are guys on here who could spot a rep insert at a thousand yards...

Register on the Rolex Forum and keep an eye on their Accessories Sales forum. You'll see packaged and tagged 16610's appear for $250-$300. Unpackaged ones show up around $200. The green 16610LV inserts are close to $500 regardless of packaging. You've got to be fast, they go quick. You should probably register with a different handle than this forum, and drop nary a peep about reps over there!

this is exremely good advice :)

datalord

Wasn't that hard to get the insert. You just need to know where to look. Expect to pay $200-$275 depending on condition and if it's still factory packaged. That's for a black insert. If you want to get a Gen Green LV insert, they cost almost as much as the watch... Best wait for TC's (Type I) green insert to come available.

Fantastic photos of a lovely watch. Could you fit an insert using a Case/Crystal press with appropriate dies, or do you need to fit it by hand?

You could use a press, but you'd need to be really careful about the diameter. I'd consult TC about the correct diameter to use before attempting that. I'd also want to notch bezel press insert for the pearl as not to damage it. Inserting by hand was a challenge, but at no time was I concerned about damaging anything. It was more a frustration as you have to apply pressure evenly in multiple places or the bit you just got snapped in, pops back out...

Thanks mate. Super helpful. Will be getting this and a Big Bang All Black v6. Both watches I have wanted but what pushed me over was your pics!!