Sign in to follow this  
TAGster

PO LiquidMetal from WI

TAGster

Hi mates,

Two days ago I received my Planet Ocean Liquid Metal from Mary/Rochest. I was very excited about this piece because I´ve been looking a good looking PO, I even looked on the gen side but at the end, I decided better to put that money in an investment. Well, the thing is I really liked the watch I received on the ems package.

The bezel is so shiny, almost as per gen, the deep glossy black of the dial makes the piece to stand out, the numerals looks fine to me as well as the hands and the date window. The He valve I believe is at a good position and I feel the crown has a good size too. No happy feet and the seconds hand has the red tip.

One thing I forgot to ask WI when ordered (maybe because I was so excited when Rochest showed me some preview pics of the model) is what kind of movement this watch is fitted with, but the second hand sweeps very smooth, I would say smoother than an the 21j of my Aqua terra, so maybe it is a high beat movement. I sent an email to WI asking about the movement but since they are focused on the website upgrade I just got the auto-reply from them, so still wondering which movement is fitted on this piece.

But (always there is a but) I noticed 3 flaws that kind of annoy me a little:

1. I don´t know what happened to the pearl, but yesterday I noticed it changed of color from white to yellow. It looks like a vintage pearl now. But it is not a big deal since I already ordered an "oem" pearl from eBay and I´ll try to replace it.

2. The bracelet is not as good as the rest of the watch. I noticed it has gaps between some links, so that makes it look not even, in some links the gap is bigger than the others. Also, I don´t like how the bracelet sits on the lug links when is in the wrist, it does not make look the watch smooth when wearing it. But again, that is not a problem for me because I am expecting a leather strap with deployment buckle, since my plan was to have a PO on leather strap from the beginning.

3. This is the flaw that really annoy me the most: the crystal is not inserted correctly in the case. It is uneven towards the 10 o´clock marker and it feels it´s popped up on that part of the watch. So here is my question to you mates: do you believe is it possible to fix it?? if so, what would be needed in order to fix it?, do you think it just need to be pressed down?

I don´t want to send it back to china and go with all the hassle of shipping back then wait again for WI to send another piece, also there is the fact of the CNY and Mary and Rochest are kind of stand-by on the business, even though I know they are still taking care of customer service.

Despite of those minimal issues, I would say the watch is a great rep, I really like how it looks on the wrist. Even the guy from the watch shop where I toke it for bracelet links removal for sizing, told me it was a beautiful watch.

So, here are the photos for you to take a look to the watch and the flaws I described above:

dsc0228rk.jpg

dsc0229sn.jpg

dsc0231lv.jpg

The "vintage" pearl :P

dsc0232yd.jpg

dsc0233by.jpg

dsc0237yj.jpg

Edited by TAGster

TAGster

Continue...

The not leveled crystal

dsc0235xm.jpg

dsc0236xw.jpg

And last but not least, the wrist shot:

dsc0241dam.jpg

Thanks for viewing!!! :beer2:

Edited by TAGster

BaggyPants

The bracelet is strange. You would have thought that they would use the one from the v.5 PO 42, but obviously not, because the end links are just not pivoted at the right point. I just compared your photos to my 42 bracelet and they are completely different.

PO42Red-1_zpsa84cbb32.jpg

Does the bracelet have the arrows and markings on the inside like the v.5?

fatarms

In one day the pearl looks like that?

pretender

hey mate - nice pics! ive got the exact same watch (bought it from Toro) and in regards to your problems 1 to 3, i have the exact 3 issues: pearl is almost yellow YUK, the glass is unevan @ 10 (probably need to shave the gasket ~ boneyjr had his modified accordingly see his thread) and yeah the bracelet is shocking def not a v5 42mm PO bracelt

tho overall im happy with mine, the movement is a 2836 @ 28.8k bph so its as good as it gets

Edited by pretender

BaggyPants

I just posted my spare v.5 PO 42 bracelet to an ex-pat Brit in the USA to put on his LM, so we will know in a couple of weeks if that is a fix for that.

Pretender, does the LM bracelet have the same markings on the inside as the v.5 PO 42

Zachthebaker

nice watch!

chenner29

Looks beautiful on the wrist. Gonna look into getting one right now!...You sold me.

TAGster

The bracelet is strange. You would have thought that they would use the one from the v.5 PO 42, but obviously not, because the end links are just not pivoted at the right point. I just compared your photos to my 42 bracelet and they are completely different.

PO42Red-1_zpsa84cbb32.jpg

Does the bracelet have the arrows and markings on the inside like the v.5?

You have just perfectly described the issue with the bracelet: the end links are not pivoted correctly and that makes the watch looks weird when it´s on the wrist.

The bracelet on my watch does have the arrow markings.

I´m not sure what version is this PO.

Thanks for your input here mate!!

TAGster

In one day the pearl looks like that?

Yup. I know it sounds crazy but I noticed yesterday the pearl change. Here is a photo I made with my phone just after opened the box when the watch arrived:

photozii.jpg

You can clearly see the pearl was white.

I´m not sure what happened, could it be possible a kind of oxidation due to the air or something like that?

TAGster

hey mate - nice pics! ive got the exact same watch (bought it from Toro) and in regards to your problems 1 to 3, i have the exact 3 issues: pearl is almost yellow YUK, the glass is unevan @ 10 (probably need to shave the gasket ~ boneyjr had his modified accordingly see his thread) and yeah the bracelet is shocking def not a v5 42mm PO bracelt

tho overall im happy with mine, the movement is a 2836 @ 28.8k bph so its as good as it gets

Thanks for your input here mate!!

Know I now the flaws are not "exclusive" of my watch. I´ll take a look to boneyjr´s thread.

And thanks for the info on the movement.

Cheers Mate!!

TAGster

I just posted my spare v.5 PO 42 bracelet to an ex-pat Brit in the USA to put on his LM, so we will know in a couple of weeks if that is a fix for that.

Pretender, does the LM bracelet have the same markings on the inside as the v.5 PO 42

Let´s see if that can fix the issue. If so, maybe I will look for a v5 bracelet.

Thanks mate!

TAGster

nice watch!

Thanks mate! it is very nice indeed. I really like it, maybe that is why the little flaws I pointed out are not disturbing me too much.

Cheers!

Looks beautiful on the wrist. Gonna look into getting one right now!...You sold me.

Indeed! I think this is one of my reps that best look on the wrist.

Go for it mate! My advice for you would be: just make sure to tell the TD you choose, to check for the flaws I am pointing out in this post: pearl insert, uneven crystal and bracelet links.

Cheers!

replicastuff

Looks good in the pics, may be worth getting the fixes done near yourself as you say due to the extended hols by the td

toehh

I would replace the crystal with one from sunnydale @ RWI. I received one and they are great. Since your crystal AR kinda sucks I would do it for shure. It would take this watch to another level :P

fraaaaank

I really like the metal digits. Wear in good health!

TAGster

I would replace the crystal with one from sunnydale @ RWI. I received one and they are great. Since your crystal AR kinda sucks I would do it for shure. It would take this watch to another level :P

How easy is to replace the crystal?

I´m not an active member at RWI, so I do not know sunnydale, is he a trusted dealer there?

Thanks!!

I really like the metal digits. Wear in good health!

Thanks mate!!

toehh

How easy is to replace the crystal?

I´m not an active member at RWI, so I do not know sunnydale, is he a trusted dealer there?

Thanks!!

I'll send you a PM

alfa147

As a total n00b, thanks for posting this - I've just sprung for one (my first rep) via MR. I'll be sure to have a good look at the QC pics when they come through!

Kwt

Some nice pictures of a watch that I have been considering for some time but decided to go for something else until they improved this.

I hope you get the issues sorted! Enjoy the watch anyway,

TAGster

As a total n00b, thanks for posting this - I've just sprung for one (my first rep) via MR. I'll be sure to have a good look at the QC pics when they come through!

Glad to hear this post has been useful for you mate.

Some nice pictures of a watch that I have been considering for some time but decided to go for something else until they improved this.

I hope you get the issues sorted! Enjoy the watch anyway,

Yes, maybe I should have waited too, but everything happens for a reason and now I will have some fun doing the mods for this watch he he, I´ve never done any mod to my reps before, so maybe it was about time and this is the perfect moment to try.

Cheers mate!

dejavu157

Tell me how your mods go, I am planning on doing the pearl change if i get it too.

TAGster

Tell me how your mods go, I am planning on doing the pearl change if i get it too.

Sure I´ll do mate. So far I have my tools ready for the job, I´m just waiting for the parts to arrive.

Cheers!

robbook

Just ordered this one. Crossing my fingers with the pearl issue b/c it is distracting.

TAGster

Just ordered this one. Crossing my fingers with the pearl issue b/c it is distracting.

I hope yours come with a non-issue pearl. Anyways it´s an easy fix, I just changed the pearl this morning and now looks good, I´ll be posting a how-to thread soon.