Sign in to follow this  
Overport

Omega Moonie?

Overport

Looking for recommendations on a Speedmaster Moon watch.

I have looked through some of the TD's and seen a few versions - is there a stand out rep?

bklynboy

the handwind venus is most reliable

all td's get them from same factory

pick one and go for it!

bluesme519

as I know there are two versions of moonies reps. study and go for it.

gmchris

Had my 21j moonie for 5 days now and still lovin it !!

From what i've read the cases of the cheapies are the same as the pricier ones so i suppose it depends on how much you value the movement. My 21j subdials show day and date instead of chrono, but i reset them to the top each morning (just push the buttons) to look like a gen. If you want the moonie to look right you need a hesalite crystal or at least a domed glass crystal- the flat ones look wrong imho.

Note that some of the speedy (and seamaster) bracelets have no micro adjustment on the clasp so you can only size it to the nearest full link, but i have read on the gen forums that this is true of the $5k gens too lol.

Also remember the standard moonie is 42mm, there is also a 38mm called 'reduced'

And the gen has pretty even length batons all round, but most reps except quartz have noticably shorter batons at 3 & 9 due to subdials being too far apart- but thats all here on rwg

Good luck . . .

2013-03-20212636.jpg

Edited by gmchris

Overport

Thanks, crystal is important. I hate domed crystals that are curved on the outside and flat on the bottom.

What is the difference in subdial placements on reps between 3, 6, 9 and 12, 9, 6?

If you tour the old Mission Control at Houston there is a display of homage watches for each Apollo mission.

Worth a look - lemme know if you wanna pic.

Edited by Overport

flyr

Go to the Omega review forum in this site. There are a number of threads on rep moonie mods,plexi, subdial spacing, movements etc. I did one on the moonie I bought. Welcome to the forum and good luck!

Here's mine.

DSC00124.jpg

RichardMiami

Not all moonies are black. Here is my "panda" ST-19 movement (aka Venus).. a ROCK SOLID watch

1bc0ca2a935028bb9b8341199ec76e7b_zps1348cea7.jpg

corsa

Richard, now that is a watch!! Very nice!! I have to get one of those!!!

gmchris
Thanks, crystal is important. I hate domed crystals that are curved on the outside and flat on the bottom.

What is the difference in subdial placements on reps between 3, 6, 9 and 12, 9, 6?

If you tour the old Mission Control at Houston there is a display of homage watches for each Apollo mission.

Worth a look - lemme know if you wanna pic.

yes i'd like to see the Huston collection thanks. Been to Kennedy twice- love all that space stuff!

Not sure about 12 6 9 spacing but the best idea is to open pics of gens in one window, then compare to the reps in an adjacent window.over and over with different dealers and models until you see one you are happy with.

loadsa homework Im afraid lol

Overport

P1010130_zpsb3c1c0fc.jpg

P1010140_zps104a7101.jpg

P1010141_zps4aa232fe.jpg

P1010133_zps79273de0.jpg

PeterPotamus

where did you take those pics?

Overport

You go by the Omega display on your way up the stairs (3rd floor) to the old Control Centre at the Johnson Space Centre - Houston.

The room is where history was made. Holy ground....

Wish I had better pics. Bought a new camera after this.

Edited by Overport

Steve4eld

This was just added to my bucket list...

gmchris

Awesome! Reminds me of a similar display I saw at Graceland of Elvis' watches and rings.

Thanks

Mystery Shopper

Great pics, thanks.

I bought mine nearly 3 years ago as a 21J cheapie. I'll upgrade when this dies but it doesn't miss a beat. It is very comfortable on the wrist and isn't chunky either.

SAM_1170.jpg