nev848

WD40 on new watch bracelet?

nev848

Hi Guys

I am waiting for the arrival of my first watch a Rolex Ceramic Sub. I have read about the need to soak the bracelet in oil first. Is this necessary and if so why and what is the best method?

Thanks in advance for your help with this question.

Regards

Nev

black263

I've never bothered. The theory is that it flushes out any crap that is in the links and hinge pins, and gives a smoother feel to the bracelet. WD40 is recommended as it is supposed to penetrate better, and is then washed out with soapy water, then plain water and the bracelet dried. As I said, I never bothered. Just make sure you remove the bracelet from the watch. WD40 inside your watch is a nightmare.

Xebryus

Wd-40 works for almost everyone here. I tried PB blaster before too. Either works.

Jetpac

1) WD40, a good soak and a wiggle to work it in

2) Rinse

3) Ultrasonic bath

4) Bicycle drylube

5) Wipe and polish

nev848

Thanks Guys. Do I need any special tools to remove the bracelet. I have a genuine Breitling and often remove the strap with a Stanley blade. I know bad isn't it but it works and I have never damaged the case. Fingers crossed.

CaptainFantastic

WD-40 yes, remove the bracelet and soak overnight. Make sure it's nice and dry before its back together though. I made a school boy error a few years back and let's just say that no matter how water tight a watch is, penetrant spray finds a way in and makes a.......mess.

simonbolivar

I took the lazy way out. Wrapped the watch case with plastic wrap, and sprayed the links with WD40 (straw nozzle). Worked in the links for about ten minutes and the washed the oil off with water/dish washing detergent. I'll admit it was a bit risky, but the outcome was good. Felt like it accelerated the break in period and made the bracelet comfortable.

LightGeek
I've never bothered. The theory is that it flushes out any crap that is in the links and hinge pins, and gives a smoother feel to the bracelet. WD40 is recommended as it is supposed to penetrate better, and is then washed out with soapy water, then plain water and the bracelet dried. As I said, I never bothered. Just make sure you remove the bracelet from the watch. WD40 inside your watch is a nightmare.

It's not a theory...

ga3y7e3y.jpg

nev848

Cheers LightGeek. I can see your point. Oil bath it is and it seemed to work for C3PO as he can out like a new penny.