Sign in to follow this  
Black Diamond

Gutted, just gutted...My Skyland Avenger Blacksteel

Black Diamond

I picked up my 2nd rep today!! A Breitling Skyland Avenger Black Steel from WI. WI are great TD's and have been helpful during the entire process. The order was placed on the 12th of March and arrived today (31st)

First impression:

The watch is heavy, super cool and uber aggressive. It definitely does not scream look at me but it's hard to miss! The watch is an off grey shimmery kind of colour which really sets it off, it really does look fabulous!! The dial is nice and compact even though this is not a small watch at 45.5mm. In saying that however it actually wears quite small and looks bang on with my 6.5" wrist.

I ordered the watch with both the bracelet & the rubber strap for a number of reasons. I find it much more comfortable wearing watches on straps rather than bracelets but now and then a nice bracelet feels good and fits well. When I tried on some Gen Avengers they felt great, plus the Skyland has such a cool finish I figured what the hell and opted for both.

Bracelet:

I have pretty small wrists (6.75") so it was great to know that the bracelet uses screws for the links. I later found this made little difference because you can only remove 4 links with the micro screwdriver set I have, the end links require a thinner screwdriver which I will have to buy tomorrow. The bracelet is very light and actually quite "clackety". Tbh I'm not sure on how to describe it, it sounds and feels cheap without being cheap if that makes sense. When I compare it to my OPO SS bracelet I much prefer the OPO's solid chunky feel. Perhaps the Skyland bracelet is supposed to be lightweight for a reason because this watch is HEAVY. Suffice it to say I'm somewhat gutted about the "quality", being such a great looking watch I feel it's let down by the bracelet. In saying that the bracelet looks amazing! It glimmers and shines really accentuating the PVD coating. The clasp is strong and has good bite to it with a nice audible click when closing. Removing the bracelet was easy enough as all I had to do was lightly tug on it and it popped out without any tools. I later found that one side of the spring bar is actually skew while the other is straight. This is the same for both bars and can't imagine this is a genuine feature over defective bars. When trying to re-install the bracelet I found it incredibly difficult!! An hour, 3 broken nails and a river blood later just to re-install one side, I gave up as the pins were simply popping out of their holes. I went back to it after a while and managed to weasel it in but I will not be attempting that again anytime soon.

Rubber strap:

The build quality of the divers strap is great. It's thick, strong, comfortable, and clean which is exactly what you need from a rubber strap. The buckle is good but kind of awkward because it pivots when fitting the watch, with a little practice it should be a breeze. HOWEVER, this rubber strap is looong!! Even on the very last hole I can easily fit 2 fingers underneath it. Totally totally gutted about this because again, Breitlings rubber straps are very cool. I could punch some more holes in but it would totally ruin the look and finish of the watch. I do not recommend buying this strap if you have skinny wrists like me!

The body:

The watch body is very heavy, I've not weighed it yet but I'd say it's easily ~150g. I'm happy to report that the build quality of the body itself is fantastic. The dial is very sharp, all the numbers, markers and lettering is very clear with no noticeable flaws. The chrono dials have lovely chrome trim surrounding them and they have a semi textured finish as per the Gen.The AR coating is absolute quality, it's so easy to read the time even in direct sunlight, quality! The bezel is also very good, the markers are all excellent and the finish is outstanding, those of you who saw my "Does this look right to you" thread will remember there was an issue with the Pearl being miss-aligned. Now this is as some suggested a very strange and intriguing "feature". The pearl actually follows you like a pair of eyes staring at you in a photo, As far as I can tell this is due to the design and sunken nature of the position on the bezel itself. There is also some spring to the bezel when pushing down. I'm not sure if this is meant to be like this or if it's a flaw but when you tap on the bezel it makes a subtle but horrible tapping sound like the clinking of coins in your pocket. The unidirectional twist is good, it does have the tinniest amount of play but nothing significant.

The Lume:

In a word, pathetic.

Movement:

I'm still a n00b so I can't comprehensively review the movement. As far as I can tell it's good. I ran the chrono on multiple tests, seconds, minutes and hours and it all works as it should and seems to keep time well. One issue I did have was trying to set the watch exactly so the seconds and minutes line up correctly, which I found neigh on impossible due to slack a minute hand. After much trial and error I finally got to the stage where I was happy (Or too bored to continue). The movement is also very noisy every time you move your wrist, you can hear the weight spinning (Sorry not too uppety on the technicals)

Conclusion:

The Skyland Blacksteel with it's aesthetic finish and aggressive design is definitely a lethal combination! It really is an amazing looking watch. I'm just gutted that the bracelet feels "cheap" and the rubber strap is so0o long.

A keeper for sure but I have to work some way around actually getting this watch to fit correctly!!! Now, where are my body building steroids... :blowup:

dalboy

I picked up my 2nd rep today!! A Breitling Skyland Avenger Black Steel from WI. WI are great TD's and have been helpful during the entire process. The order was placed on the 12th of March and arrived today (31st)

First impression:

The watch, heavy, super cool and uber aggressive. It definitely does not scream look at me but it's hard to miss! The watch is an off grey shimmery kind of colour which really sets it off it really looks fabulous. The dial is nice and compact even though this is not a small watch at 45.5mm. In saying that however it actually wears quite small and looks bang on with my 6.75" wrist.

I ordered the watch with both the bracelet & the rubber strap for a number of reasons. I find it much more comfortable wearing watches on straps rather than bracelets but now and then a nice bracelet feels good and fits well. When I tried on some Gen Avengers they felt great, plus the Skyland has such a cool finish I figured what the hell and opted for both.

Bracelet:

I have pretty small wrists (6.75") so it was great to know that the bracelet uses screws for the links. I later found this made little difference because you can only remove 4 links with the micro screwdriver set I have, the end links require a thinner screwdriver which I will have to buy tomorrow. The bracelet is very light and actually quite "clackety". Tbh I'm not sure on how to describe it, it sounds and feels cheap without being cheap if that makes sense. When I compare it to my OPO SS bracelet I much prefer the OPO's solid chunky feel. Perhaps the Skyland bracelet is supposed to be lightweight for a reason because this watch is HEAVY. Suffice it to say I'm somewhat gutted about the "quality", being such a great looking watch I feel it's let down by the bracelet. In saying that the bracelet looks amazing! It glimmers and shines really accentuating the PVD coating. The clasp is strong and has good bite to it with a nice audible click when closing. Removing the bracelet was easy enough as all I had to do was lightly tug on it and it popped out without any tools. I later found that one side of the spring bar is actually skew while the other is straight. This is the same for both bars and can't imagine this is a genuine feature over defective bars. When trying to re-install the bracelet I found it incredibly difficult!! An hour, 3 broken nails and a river blood later just to re-install one side, I gave up as the pins were simply popping out of their holes. I went back to it after a while and managed to weasel it in but I will not be attempting that again anytime soon.

Rubber strap:

The build quality of the divers strap is great. It's thick, strong, comfortable, and clean which is exactly what you need from a rubber strap. The buckle is good but kind of awkward because it pivots when fitting the watch, with a little practice it should be a breeze. HOWEVER, this rubber strap is looong!! Even on the very last hole I can easily fit 2 fingers underneath it. Totally totally gutted about this because again, Breitlings rubber straps are very cool. I could punch some more holes in but it would totally ruin the look and finish of the watch. I do not recommend buying this strap if you have skinny wrists like me!

The body:

The watch body is very heavy, I've not weighed it yet but I'd say it's easily ~150g. I'm happy to report that the build quality of the body itself is fantastic. The dial is very sharp, all the numbers, markers and lettering is very clear with no noticeable flaws. The chrono dials have lovely chrome trim surrounding them and they have a semi textured finish as per the Gen.The AR coating is absolute quality, it's so easy to read the time even in direct sunlight, quality! The bezel is also very good, the markers are all excellent and the finish is outstanding, those of you who saw my "Does this look right to you" thread will remember there was an issue with the Pearl being miss-aligned. Now this is as some suggested a very strange and intriguing "feature". The pearl actually follows you like a pair of eyes staring at you in a photo, As far as I can tell this is due to the design and sunken nature of the position on the bezel itself. There is also some spring to the bezel when pushing down. I'm not sure if this is meant to be like this or if it's a flaw but when you tap on the bezel it makes a subtle but horrible tapping sound like the clinking of coins in your pocket. The unidirectional twist is good, it does have the tinniest amount of play but nothing significant.

The Lume:

In a word, pathetic.

Movement:

I'm still a n00b so I can't comprehensively review the movement. As far as I can tell it's good. I ran the chrono on multiple tests, seconds, minutes and hours and it all works as it should and seems to keep time well. One issue I did have was trying to set the watch exactly so the seconds and minutes line up correctly, which I found neigh on impossible due to slack a minute hand. After much trial and error I finally got to the stage where I was happy (Or too bored to continue). The movement is also very noisy every time you move your wrist, you can hear the weight spinning (Sorry not too uppety on the technicals)

Conclusion:

The Skyland Blacksteel with it's aesthetic finish and aggressive design is definitely a lethal combination! It really is an amazing looking watch. I'm just gutted that the bracelet feels "cheap" and the rubber strap is so0o long.

A keeper for sure but I have to work some way around actually getting this watch to fit correctly!!! Now, where are my body building steroids... :blowup:

A good and thorough review...

Sadly you missed the one thing most here yearn for................................ :ttiwwop:

Dal....................

wqleow

Pictures pls

conx

Calling Rolexrudy..... That's how to write a review! Just some pictures needed to complete the job :)

StarzZ

Where's the proof

gmchris

There is also some spring to the bezel when pushing down. I'm not sure if this is meant to be like this or if it's a flaw but when you tap on the bezel it makes a subtle but horrible tapping sound like the clinking of coins in your pocket.

Don't worry about it. I have a £500 Tissot bezel that sounds like a pair of empty beer cans tied to a flagpole. I just dont tap it.

scorpion
2 no pics chuck.jpg

subiim

Wtf

TheSav

Great write up. I give you a score of 9/10. It would have been a perfect 10 if you had included pics.

Del

I had a Skyland Blacksteel last year (bought from Toro) and I couldn't disagree with you more about the bracelet quality - it was excellent.

I also have a 6.75" wrist and was able to size the bracelet easily to my wrist. I later put it on a Breitling Diver Pro rubber strap and it fitted tightly on my wrist.

Perhaps this is a different version (difficult to know without seeing pics)?

My pics are here:-

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=31622

1littlegreen

Here's mine...

Lume

IMG_0225_zps6f20819c.jpg

Wrist 6.75"

IMG_0202_zpsf8f32e86.jpg

Ach strap

BSandPOforsale014_zpsd9ad76db.jpg

Strap was the only way mine would fit properly. Not a fan of the bracelet. Hope yours gets sorted.

Enjoy and wear it well

Black Diamond

IMG_5552_zpsd6ff5915.jpg

IMG_5547_zpscd73853a.jpg

IMG_5546_zps4e9dbf53.jpg

IMG_5540_zps8d336157.jpg

IMG_5538_zpsdc9da9bb.jpg

IMG_5535_zpsc040cca6.jpg

IMG_5532_zps519e4b47.jpg

1littlegreen

Very nice!! ;)

Go grab that screwdriver and fit it up! You know you want to ;)

Black Diamond

I had a Skyland Blacksteel last year (bought from Toro) and I couldn't disagree with you more about the bracelet quality - it was excellent.

I also have a 6.75" wrist and was able to size the bracelet easily to my wrist. I later put it on a Breitling Diver Pro rubber strap and it fitted tightly on my wrist.

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=31622

Hmmm, mine is a v4??

Great write up. I give you a score of 9/10. It would have been a perfect 10 if you had included pics.

Just wanted to make y'all sweat :giggle:

Here's mine...

Lume

IMG_0225_zps6f20819c.jpg

Wrist 6.75"

IMG_0202_zpsf8f32e86.jpg

Ach strap

BSandPOforsale014_zpsd9ad76db.jpg

Strap was the only way mine would fit properly. Not a fan of the bracelet. Hope yours gets sorted.

Enjoy and wear it well

Mine is defo different to yours bud, mine does not have the any number lume only the dots and hands are lumed.

1littlegreen

I have not seen any others like it with the number lume. I have contacted TD's to get another one and they all say it does not exist. Not sure how it happened honestly.

callsign21a

Well mate no pics and your in trouble.......well not really good write up but pics say a thousand words at least thats what our FLO sez

OG.

Not a fan of Breitlings in general but that does look ok - Even I may be tempted when I run out of U-Boats, IWCs, B&Rs and Pams to buy.... :Thinking:

corsa

Pretty good honest write up, but just One thing, your title says"

"Gutted, just gutted...My Skyland Avenger Blacksteel"

You got a Fantastic watch!!! Sure, Maybe the strap is a bit big for your small wrists, but no one died???? "C'mon.. I thought it was going to show the hands had fallen off!! lol..

Enjoy it, it looks awesome!! :D

Black Diamond

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=31622

Del, My wrist is around 6.7"

Looking at your pics it looks like you managed to get the extra link out at the end. I have 6 links at the top and bottom which makes the watch off balance and not centre. You have 7 at the top and 5 at the bottom. I couldn't get the end link off the bottom because the end link screws are thinner than the rest for some reason. Any chance you can check for me if yours are all the same size...Am I just being spastic???

I think the reason for the "cheap" feeling I'm talking about is because there is so much movement in the bracelet design. With so many individual block on the links able to move independently from one another it does give the bracelet that little bit more freedom to move and clink against itself. The construction of the bracelet is actually very good. It's strong and solid, but very light that's all. I'll compare it to the Gen in a couple of weeks when I go to the AD :)

Black Diamond

As you can see the Diver strap is very long on the Skyland. The top section is a good inch longer than the OPO. I wear the Omega strap on the 3rd hole from the top and it fits nice and relaxed, 2nd from the top is a good snug fit. The Skyland holes don't even start until the 4th hole on the OPO, coupled with the extra inch at the top and you have baaaggy :(

IMG_5536_zps35c4d540.jpg

Black Diamond

After wearing it 3 times, today being the 3rd occasion, at precisely 3:36pm today my watch stopped... :rolleyes:

I was wearing it at the time and only realised it had stopped about 15 minutes ago. I don't want to try winding it because it's been working up to now and I have been wearing it for about 3 hours today, so it should not just stop randomly.

Now I really have a reason to be gutted! :facepalm:

LightGeek

After wearing it 3 times, today being the 3rd occasion, at precisely 3:36pm today my watch stopped... :rolleyes:

I was wearing it at the time and only realised it had stopped about 15 minutes ago. I don't want to try winding it because it's been working up to now and I have been wearing it for about 3 hours today, so it should not just stop randomly.

Now I really have a reason to be gutted! :facepalm:

Been there. Sent my watch back for repair. Months later, comes back with a QC sticker and hands in the wrong position :)

Black Diamond

I'm wondering if I should just opt for a replacement rather than repair and go for another watch with an ETA movement...This has not even lasted 2 days :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

peakpower

That sucks!!!

I've found it's kinda of hit or miss with these A7750 based rep watches. I've had several that have been great and worked precisely as they should. However, a couple A7750 based reps started working intermittently less than two weeks after I received them! I took them to a local rep-friendly watchsmith and he told me both A7750 movements were completely dry. He completely disassembled and properly lubed and regulated them. They now work great! Yes, I had to fork out some more coin for the maintenance. But I also didn't want to wait months for a replacement or repair from the TD in China. Good luck!

Black Diamond

How much does one normally pay for this type of service at a watch shop? Does a TD cover the cost of the repairs? On a $400 watch I'd expect the repairs to be covered by a TD, seen as though the watch didn't even manage a 3 days...I'm trying to figure out my options...

The problem I'm facing is that I'm currently overseas, then will be traveling until late May, so either way I will be in loss for at least 2 months or 3 months from the initial order date :(