Sign in to follow this  
fatarms

Swiss? Clone ETA? You tell me what you think

fatarms

This one has me confused, it has the clean markings and curved engraving like a Swiss, but only one cutout on the incabloc? This is on one of the new 42mm ceramic Omega PO's. It was sold to me as Swiss.

What do you think? :lol:

fthgr4.jpg

8xkg8g.jpg

PeterPotamus

maybe a mix swiss + chinese =swinese

Edited by peterpotamus

NFleischer

Actually the stamping looks a little funny. Could be ETA base plate and Asian bridges as noted. It's so hard to tell nowadays!

NCRich

Looks cloney

jeffw69

ETA stamp looks very crisp, but the 2836 stamp looks really crappy.

Who knows?

Hazz

Maybe the pics, but looks part worn, mix of new and old

dalboy

Judging the finish on the movement.....and how badly it's been done..

I'd say clone

Dal.

Frankt8242

I cannot fathom the depth of folks obsession over this ,in reality, NON ISSUE!!

Virtually all of the ETA style movements built in the last 10 years have some degree of Asian content, and these days, there is for all practical purposes, no difference.

The main reason our dealers offer you a choice is because they are aware that they can get an extra $50-$100. from you if you believe that there are still "really" Swiss movements out there...

The fact of the matter is: You can either have an Asian designed movement or a Swiss designed movement...The actual parts are indeed Asian, and maybe, just maybe Swiss assembled...

fatarms

I think you guys are of the same mind as I am. I think it's a hybrid, I'm really not sweating it, but it just goes to show that "Swiss" from China doesn't necessarily mean that :lol:

The 2836 stamp is definitely wokky, but the ETA stamp is perfect. The incabloc screams clone to me, but then again, I'm still learning as well.

This thread actually made me happy with the macro pic ability on my phone rather than upset that the movement doesn't seem to be what it was advertised as.

dingle

100% clone

fatarms

I also see that the original listing says it's a Swiss 2824-2, which was the only option. You'd think the fake stamp would be right. :lol:

ad6904

Virtually all of the ETA style movements built in the last 10 years have some degree of Asian content, and these days, there is for all practical purposes, no difference.

The main reason our dealers offer you a choice is because they are aware that they can get an extra $50-$100. from you if you believe that there are still "really" Swiss movements out there...

The fact of the matter is: You can either have an Asian designed movement or a Swiss designed movement...The actual parts are indeed Asian, and maybe, just maybe Swiss assembled...

What about in the case of these particular watches when they're sold to us with swiss as the only option. I think it definitely matters then.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Frankt8242

What about in the case of these particular watches when they're sold to us with swiss as the only option. I think it definitely matters then.

You're certainly free to believe what you want to....

Shit....A majority of mankind believes in a magical guy in the fukkin sky....

Xebryus

David Copperfield on an airplane?

tesmith2112

That is a clone for sure. Wow! Now they are getting bold, charging for swiss ETA, but shipping clone. Double wow! Have you addressed this with the dealer who sold it to you? Also, what phone do you have, that is a really good macro phone pic.

SSTEEL

I would say, comparing to my Swiss ETA, is that you have some ETA parts, mainly the base plate, which has had its model number changed from something else. The ETA stamp is too good for a clone on this part. As to the rest, yes, clone, so yes again, hybrid.

J.S.

I would say, comparing to my Swiss ETA, is that you have some ETA parts, mainly the base plate, which has had its model number changed from something else. The ETA stamp is too good for a clone on this part. As to the rest, yes, clone, so yes again, hybrid.

Yes, ETA base plate with the model number changed and asian parts. It's hybrid.

ad6904

Its not my belief, I'm pointing out that instead of being charged Asian eta prices, were forced to pay "swiss" prices for a an Asian, or at the very least, mongrel movement..

NFleischer

Yes, that's not fair. Especially when they charge $120 extra now for "Swiss". Remember when it was about $50?

Wiz

I don't think you get the point.

The real issue is quality parts vs crappy parts.

ETA indeed have some parts made in Asia, but they are good quality parts. The parts used on clone movements are made of inferior quality alloys, with greater tolerance in measurements. They're just of inferior quality. No one actually cares where they are manufactured, it's a quality issue.

Wiz

This one has me confused, it has the clean markings and curved engraving like a Swiss, but only one cutout on the incabloc? This is on one of the new 42mm ceramic Omega PO's. It was sold to me as Swiss.

What do you think? :lol:

I've seen more and more of these recently, if I remember well exclusively in PO reps (ceramic or not).

I used to think these were just low quality clones, but the more I see them, the more I think it's a mix of used swiss parts and asian parts.

As always, when buying a Swiss movement from your dealer, always ask if you'll get brand new swiss or refurb. Dealers know what they're buying from the makers.