Sign in to follow this  
black263

Uncomfortable Cartier Santos Strap - FIXED

black263

Hi,

Yesterday I received my Cartier Santos 100 from Michelle. The watch is gorgeous but the strap is the most uncomfortable I've ever worn. I would be grateful for advice on a replacement. Now to the problem.

Unlike my other makes, the clasp is extremely prominent.

IMG_3982_zps18fe9d36.jpg

IMG_3982a_zpsddd9ddd3.jpg

When I wear it, the curved ends dig into my wrist

IMG_3980_zps10a0d184.jpg

IMG_3981_zps1312e922.jpg

Now I know that you will probably advise me to loosen it, but it already feels loose,

I doubt that I can live with that strap, but there is no way I want to give up the watch. Any advice on replacement straps?

Dunn
2d0dour.jpg

Del

Unlkely I'd say. This watch has very unique lugs and the strap is designed accordingly, which in turn is designed for the deployant. I can't imagine many aftermarket straps will be available for this watch, and especially not for a tang buckle.

black263

2d0dour.jpg

I should replace my strap with a hammer? I deliberately didn't ask what I should do with the strap, as I'm already ahead of you there. :giggle: I was looking for advice on a replacement.

Dunn

Read dels post then follow my suggestion!

black263

Unlkely I'd say. This watch has very unique lugs and the strap is designed accordingly, which in turn is designed for the deployant. I can't imagine many aftermarket straps will be available for this watch, and especially not for a tang buckle.

So do all the deployant clasps stick out that far on this model?

The watch itself is gorgeous.

Are the gen clasps as prominent? I'm off for an hour or so now, so will do the gen research when I get back.

ks653

I doubt that I can live with that strap, but there is no way I want to give up the watch. Any advice on replacement straps?

I think your problem is the clasp, not the strap. Mine feels just fine. Will send you a pic...

Mechwarrior

DIET!!!! :giggle:

TheSav

That looks very painful to wear. The best advice I could give you is to send it my way. I'll live with it :)

JasperB

The whole thing looks raggy and worn and scratched. I ordered one of these already, hope mine looks better :(

Kcore

Oh my, not good.

Black, something looks very wrong with how the deployment buckle is sitting. I like others have this wonderful rep and it is very comfortable to wear. It site on my wrist almost like it isn't there.

The first thing I would do is to be certain that you have both ends of the straps tucked into and under the buckle correctly. From the pics, it doesn't look like you do. The strap ends should be on top of the underside of the buckle. Again, just judging by your pics.

If you do have it correct, then I would most certainly contact the TD and let him/her know about this. Your pics should certainly suffice, and ask for a replacement.

Sorry for your pain. good luck and let us know.

BaggyPants

Panerai deployants are equally uncomfortable for anyone of a larger wrist size. The curve of the clasp is set for someone with a much smaller wrist, so they dig in at the ends on bigger wrists. Is there no way to bend those bits flatter?

parisianshut

loose the clasp and get a regular strap with buckle.

BaggyPants

Not so easy to do. It's a specific fitted strap at the lug end.

Kcore

Replacement Option:

Black, here's a replacement option: Aaron of HK Tan Straps makes custom straps for the Santos. Send him an e-mail and ask him if he can make you a strap that uses a buckle instead of the double deployment. I'm sure he can do it.

The caveat, you will need to send him your rep strap or purchase a $30 rep strap on Amazon or ebay and send that to him. He needs the rep's lug end pieces to create the new strap.

Let us know.

parisianshut

i know but you may ask one strap maker to make it specialy for you ... not a cheap solution , i admit.

Kcore

i know but you may ask one strap maker to make it specialy for you ... not a cheap solution , i admit.

What else is there. He either tries to get a replacement buckle from the TD. Might or might not work. He can try hammering down the buckle ends. I wouldn't go there. The cost to have a custom strap made is really dependent on material.

Everyone that has purchased this rep has gone miles to replace the cheap strap because it's an AMAZING rep. Some have bought a gen strap for $400+ ( a lucky few caught StrapDaddy when he had some) and others had Aaron make them a strap. Again, I would speak with Aaron.

highergame

Do they not have a strap thats bigger?? I know the first thing I have to do with all my rep. straps is put them aside and wear one of the ones I had made since I have a 8.25 wrist and it never seems that rep ones fit very well at all.

greg_r

Hmm - like a lot of deployant clasps, it's not so much about your wrist size as wrist shape. Personally I find the Santos very comfortable (I have one of the older ones with the higher-quality rep strap), but I cannot abide AP clasps (which do to me what the Santos clasp is doing to you).

I would tend to agree with erock that a replacement custom-made strap that will handle a tang buckle is probably your best option here.

McJules

Well if you don't mind sacrifying the rep strap, send it to me. I can make you a nice exotic strap for it and ditch the clasp. Put a regular buckle if it hurts you.

With a strap in hand, i could make it and follow the model so i'll be able to make some for other santos owner (erock will be happy lol)

We should try to source those rep lug ends, that would save alot of time and headaches!

Frankt8242

I seldom wear mine, for that same reason....But since I only paid $70. for mine @ 4 years ago, I don't mind letting it sit in my watch box.....I do occasionally wear it when I feel the need to go "dressy", but sadly, that's usually only to go to weddings or funerals these days...

Southwest Florida ain't really much of a dress up "hood".........

black263

Oh my, not good.

Black, something looks very wrong with how the deployment buckle is sitting. I like others have this wonderful rep and it is very comfortable to wear. It site on my wrist almost like it isn't there.

The first thing I would do is to be certain that you have both ends of the straps tucked into and under the buckle correctly. From the pics, it doesn't look like you do. The strap ends should be on top of the underside of the buckle. Again, just judging by your pics.

If you do have it correct, then I would most certainly contact the TD and let him/her know about this. Your pics should certainly suffice, and ask for a replacement.

Sorry for your pain. good luck and let us know.

One of the straps was already inserted into the buckle. I followed the same pattern with the other one.

IMG_3985_zpsae19281e.jpg

Indigo38

Is it possible to slightly bend the curved sections so they sit more flat so they dont dig into your wrist?

Ive got a santos XL coming and this doesnt bode well considering ive got an 8" wrist - i think im going to have the same problem as you :(

popspacket

Can anyone email him a replacement strap? That would be the quickest option...

black263

I seldom wear mine, for that same reason....But since I only paid $70. for mine @ 4 years ago, I don't mind letting it sit in my watch box.....I do occasionally wear it when I feel the need to go "dressy", but sadly, that's usually only to go to weddings or funerals these days...

Southwest Florida ain't really much of a dress up "hood".........

This was the top Cartier Santos that Michelle had. $448 so I don't want to let it go.