Sign in to follow this  
RiceCake

Rolex Milgauss "Glace Verte" (pic heavy)

RiceCake

Personally, I don't see the appeal of owning a Rolex. I have had a watch-lust for years, but every time I priced out a Rolex I always ended up thinking that I can get far more class/quality/heritage for less money in another brand (IWC is probably my favourite, but I also really like Longines and Omega). I will probably get roasted for saying this, but I always thought that 'people must buy Rolex's to get recognition from others'; this is just my opinion. However, the first time I saw the Milgauss GV, it was instantly propelled to my top 5 favourite watches. Alas, it was (and still is) out of my price range :(

Enter RWG... I discovered this forum a couple of months ago and have been reading previous posts almost every night to help make an informed decision (thanks for all your contributions). I ended up ordering my first reps with WI (Milgauss and Big Pilot http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=51990) and I don't think I'll ever try ordering from someone else; they were fantastic.

Price: $188 :dingleberry-nemesis:

Movement: Asian ETA

I've never owned a rep before, and I am absolutely blown away by the quality of finishing available!

IMG_2506.jpg

I won't go into the details of what attracts me to this watch as it is very subjective I'm sure, but I really like how it stands out from the rest of the Rolex's out there. It has many (epic) details that make it different.

IMG_2505.jpg

I've never handled the gen before, but I spend HOURS looking at videos and pics of the gen, and I struggle to find differences. As with most high quality reps, you'd really need to know what the gen looks like, and get very close to see the issues. Perhaps the biggest issue (as with my IWC) is the lume. It looks great when the lights are off, but if you get close you'll notice that the border around the hour markers is not accurate and the color at 3, 6, & 9 is slightly off.

IMG_2523.jpg

The only other issue is perhaps the bracelet; it just feels a bit cheap. If you hold the body and shake the bracelet you will notice that it sounds and feels a bit off. However, I went into this with low expectation of a rep, and I personally will never try to convince someone that it is real. Well, maybe just for a few minutes :lol:. As I said earlier, I am extremely happy with the overall accuracy, and the details on the watch such as engraving and font are perfect to my eyes.

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

I highly recommend this watch and WI. Feel free to ask questions, and wish me luck with not going bankrupt from this hobby! :giggle:

Edited by RiceCake

RiceCake

Oh, and so far this watch is better at keeping time than my IWC Big Pilot. The Milgauss is gaining about 7 seconds per day :D

DejaWho

Gorgeous photos and very nice review!

Fell1963

Great shots!

04YELLOWGT

Great pics and great post!!! I fell in love with the milgauss also and even almost bought a real one but just couldn't spend the money. I purchased a the exact same watch from WI. Mine should be here tomorrow and after reading an see the pics I'm going to be going crazy at work tomorrow. Might have to go pick it up at the post office at lunch.

LightGeek

People will tend to believe it's gen because of the GV. Most folks equate reps with garbage and this small detail sets it apart. It's a rep right, why would they go to the trouble of green AR look? :) the GV and polished bracelet makes it look like a jewel on the wrist and I like that.

RiceCake

Thanks all, I love photography and watches, so it wasn't hard to stay up till 2am to take some shots ;)

04YELLOWGT, This watch was delivered around noon on Friday (just before the long weekend when postal service stops for 3 days) and I totally went home for lunch to put in on! You'll love it I'm sure :D

redguy

I recently received the same watch from WI as my first rep. I love it and I have already got a number of compliments. Mary and Rochest were great. I am getting ready for another purchase.

04YELLOWGT

Thanks all, I love photography and watches, so it wasn't hard to stay up till 2am to take some shots ;)

04YELLOWGT, This watch was delivered around noon on Friday (just before the long weekend when postal service stops for 3 days) and I totally went home for lunch to put in on! You'll love it I'm sure :D

Got mine today! Ended up fighting my way through work and only worked 8hrs instead of my normal 9-10hr day at the office. The watch is beautiful and I just love it.

The only thing I noticed with it is the watch makes a noise when I shake it on my wrist. From what I've read though, its normal for automatic winding. The main reason I bought this was for my wedding next month and I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have this watch!

PeterPotamus

wonderful pics and watch, enjoy it

E.R.
Oh, and so far this watch is better at keeping time than my IWC Big Pilot. The Milgauss is gaining about 7 seconds per day :D

Time flies having fun :-)

Thanks for the review, beautiful watch and pics!

Pob

My next watch on the list!! Very nice ;)

dly02

nice watch!

emtp101

Your gonna do great here, great reviews, very down to earth and you review the things that a novice like me would be interested in and I wish I new how to take pic's like that. And if these are you first two reps, get ready to spend more mula.

Rockzz22

Nice watch enjoy it

746_heuer

Thanks for the review and the pics, I share your reasons to like it. I disagree with your thoughts about the quality of the bracelet though, I love it.

Edited by 746_heuer

Kleen™

I have the same watch for the exact same reasons as the op states. Luvvit!

DocThor

Until now I thought I can live without a Milgauss...now I'm struggling :sad:

waynacove

Until now I thought I can live without a Milgauss...now I'm struggling :sad:

Totes agree, great shots up there. It looks really really good. $188 for this neat quality and apparent, Ive got to put it in my wish list.

roberto

Terrific pictures, enjoy that watch!

Chief726

Dam, I was ready to PM you with an offer until I noticed it was posted in May. Rats! Truth be told, I hadn't considered the Rolex Milgauss until I saw your pic's. You've made me a believer...Thx!

RiceCake
Dam, I was ready to PM you with an offer until I noticed it was posted in May. Rats! Truth be told, I hadn't considered the Rolex Milgauss until I saw your pic's. You've made me a believer...Thx!

That's great, I'm glad that my pics influenced you to consider this watch!

After several months I have had zero issues at all. I knocked my wrist really hard on something and put a minor scuff in the case, but it can be polished out and the glass is still flawless! I wear this 2-3 days per week.

RiceCake
Your gonna do great here, great reviews, very down to earth and you review the things that a novice like me would be interested in and I wish I new how to take pic's like that. And if these are you first two reps, get ready to spend more mula.

Thanks very much, I appreciate it! I've managed to resist buying more reps, but this is mainly because I got a gorgeous $4,000 Longines heritage watch from my wife, and now feel too broke to buy any more reps haha. But I still wear both of my reps every week, which demonstrates how good they really are :)

scrappy123

Dang you RiceCake :choke:

I'm trying to save my pennies to get a gen that I've been lusting after off an on for years, and along comes this old post popping up to the top of the list with those enticing pics of your GV.

So tempted to email Mary now. . .

RiceCake

:-D you'll thank me later