Sign in to follow this  
usudno

Input on a beginners watch buying experience..

usudno

Here's the deal. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first rep. It should arrive today. I plan on doing a review on my first watch as soon as it is in my hands. i do believe however that the hunt/research/purchasing experience is much more involved than some may think. With that said here is a list of my ideal process (based on an experience which my wife calls research overload)

1. First things first... Sign up on repgeek as well as RWI so your knowledge base is as broad as possible. If you are reading this you have or WILL sign up here.

2. On all of the above sites I recommend reading every sticky involving the ordering/purchasing process in depth. After a bit of reading and understanding how the rep world works my expectations were put in check.

3. Avoid the temptation to obtain information from other sites as these three are as unbiased as they come. Other sites are strictly marketing for other rep sales sites that give false reviews.

4. Before deciding on a watch (we can all agree its not just ... I want a Rolex submariner) research all of the TDs here and on the other forums. Which dealer you buy from is in my opinion a key to your first rep experience. Honestly I think I failed in this aspect but I have learned from it. I was obsessed with a smooth PayPal transaction. In hind sight I should have let service and not payment method help determine my dealer.

5. After the TD is chosen now its time to understand what you actually want. This is the tricky part. There are several models/versions of nearly every make and style of watch. Different movements in the same styles and makes as well. Most TDs offer the same watches from the same factories. Sifting through the nomenclature and different naming conventions is tricky.... If you want to try me, search for Rolex submariner or omega planet ocean... The model/movement and style of what you want is best chosen via a linked picture emailed to the TD of your choice with your requested specs and detailed concerns ie. 42mm omega PO version 5 with the logo not sitting on the omega text.. Correct he valve size and placement. This is the best thing you can do along with a linked picture of the watch you are looking for from one of the forums. This in my opinion requires the most amount of detailed research.

6. After choosing the watch you want... You guessed it.. Read more. Try to find any possible issues with what you want. Things like poor AR or faulty crowns as well as poor bracelets/straps do exist. Keep in mind that with different movements some parts of the watch may look/function different. Sunken date wheels, funky cyclops, improper text formatting, and pearl placement are some of the areas that may or may not be close replication to the gen you are thinking about.

7. Now it's time.... Place your order with your preferred TD... Keep in mind that some dealers have very specific methods of payment that may seem odd but are there for their protection. It is important that you follow there every instruction.

8. Great! Your order is placed.. Now what.... You got a tracking number.... Wait a minute... No QC pics. Relax I freaked out too. The pics are coming assuming your TD supplies them (most are willing to). Review the QC pics that you are sent.. Then review them again... If you happen to find something that you see questionable or incorrect, feel free to post the picture of concern only after you have consulted your TD about the said issue. You should never post your QC pics for others to pic apart.. After all if you think the watch looks great then you are the one that needs to be happy. Once you are satisfied With the QC pics notify your TD.

9. Now it's time to punch in that tracking number right??? Wrong. I tracked my watch several times a day for the first week. Ems tracking is well..... HORRIBLE. If you want to track it check ever three to five days and don't be alarmed if nothing has changed. Once again it's slowwwwww. Be patient and it will come.

10. At this time I suggest you jump back to the top of the list because the waiting will have you looking for your next rep lol. No really I know I am.

11. Once your watch arrives its time to check it out. There is a great sticky on how to check your watch upon arrival in the general discussion section. Have at it and have fun sporting your new watch.

12. Last but not least.. Leaving feedback for you dealer of choice is always a good thing. Just remember that if you have any issues the consensus is to work through it with the dealer FIRST.

As a rule of thumb.... All members of the boards love pictures so post them up once you get your piece!

I hope this is helpful to some first time buyers. I know I have read and read and tried to do my best to be assured that what I ordered is both what I want and a nice quality rep that fit my budget. Once again good luck and happy hunting.

SSTEEL

Good thread my friend, some great pointers for all newbies alike. Well done. Look forward to your review of your rep when you get it.

Start a dedicated thread when it arrives, then that way you can continue to contribute to it about your purchase as time goes on, and this not only serves as a reference to you, but also to other members on what to expect with a rep as time goes by :)

RichardMiami

usudno

That is a very good post. You have obviously learned a lot in a short time! :D

However, I have to pick a few nits, just in the spirit of teaching is all:

8. If you happen to find something that you see questionable or incorrect, feel free to post the picture of concern only after you have consulted your TD about the said issue.

Posting of QC pics is not allowed in RWG. This is a relatively new rule, but there is no circumstance where we will allow this practice.

12. Last but not least.. Leaving feedback for you dealer of choice is always a good thing. Just remember that if you have any issues the consensus is to work through it with the dealer FIRST.

accurate, but incomplete. Add..... work it through with the dealer FIRST, before contacting a MODERATOR for assistance. Posting your issues with a TD publicly will resolve nothing and only serve to make the situation worse.

Keep up the good work and welcome to the insanity!

usudno

Richard Miami. Sorry about the QC pics.mi see them from time to time and I believe repgeek allows them. Thanks for the kind words. I just wanted to share my experience with others looking to get into the hobby.

S steel... Just put the tag on a mater of minutes ago... Thread is a coming lol.

Pharmo

Amazing post - I am probably at step 10!!

Soldie

Mods, tag this?

E.R.

Nice! You didn't miss a thing in my own experience.

Hope your piece will arrive today then!

Visioneer

Well said...

LightGeek

I'm a beginner too and I approve of this post. Good stuff!

usudno

Oh my piece did arrive. I am now hooked. Next up omega planet ocean 42 mm and a Rollie for the wifey. She approved of my tag. She actually contemplated getting me a gen for dads day. There was one left a our local AD. They were selling it for 2500 as its a discontinued model... Very nice watch but I can honestly say I got a steel for what I payed and josh was everything I read he would be. I would deal with him again in a heart beat... That reminds me. I need to go leave him some good words.

usudno

Tried editing my original post and got an error. I'll give it a shot on the pc.

Boycie

Nice!

louisbalfourjazzclub-nice_zps42eb163e.jpg

watchlvr91

Great summary of the process! I'm fairly new at this, so it helps me to better understand everything.

myaz

Impressive preparatory work you did....A DOA turns up from time too time....with the trouble you went through, doing it better than the majority of new members, I hope you haven't done the good deed that goes by unpunished ^_^

Are you familiar with step #9-A?

#9-A: Do not track your watch. It has been scientifically proved, using statistical regression and the chi squared test, no kidding, that for every time you look up the tracking number, it adds .43 days to transit time. Strange but true. :giggle:

RUSH2112

Re:#8. If you want QC pics ask for them. If you don't you might not get them. Ask when you make payment.

usudno

Rush.. I know that when I researched my dealer I read there ordering and shipping FAQ.. Any watch he sold over 200 came with QC pics. That was one of the reasons I went with him. That plus the ease of PayPal. Im not longer afraid of w.u. Though. My next watch... A v5 p.o. Will be bought using this method unless a member to member sale comes up before vacation lol.

James.

Wholey guacamole, new member of the year award goes to usudno!

trophy.jpg

usudno

Thanks lol. This hobby is going to run me broke or cause me to get a divorce... Especially if I don't do the same due diligence on the wifeies Rollie. Lmao