Sign in to follow this  
scozzie

Watch repairs in Australia - Suggestions?

scozzie

Hi All,

I have an rep Ebel Tarawa with a damaged hair spring on the balance wheel, so it is not running.

I love this watch, it has a real art deco feel to it and is nice and chunky, so I really want to get it fixed.

It is running a Chinese 21J so it wasn't too expensive, but still...

I am in Perth and I have tried a few watch repair places here, but since all of the watch repairers I have gone to are also dealers for gens they turn up their noses and won't touch it.

So, to the Auzzie members - any suggestions for getting a Chinese movement repaired in Oz?

Or am I better to just source a new Chinese movement from Cousins or Labanda and swap it out?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Ken

Edited by scozzie

zero_deficit

Look for the small shopping centre watchsmiths run by Asians. Most will all take onboard rep work. Some may do a terrific job, others maybe not so much

norrie

Maybe switch the movement. Once they've gone to the trouble of sourcing the parts and then getting them, you might as well. I see Getat sells movements pretty cheap too. You could probably frankenstein if it looked any different.

Black Diamond

You are probably better off with a replacement movement. My watch maker here in Bris quoted $140 inc the new 21J movement.

yawn

i m facing same issue with reps, all watchsmithes just wont touch them (south australia). what i can do now is to find gen movements and they may be less offended when service my watches, i just send one to a watchsmith today and i ll see how that turned out.

sgtguk

Hi Ken, I'm in Perth too mate, not many here at all but one of the members on other Rwg has a guy he uses not 100% but not bad watch guy, pm me for details. I use the guys in US for mine MD2020 has a few there atm, great watchsmith mate.

21j movements aren't worth much though as the guys have said best to just switch out movement and get it regulated :suck:

bbb

who have you got in brisbane mate?