Sign in to follow this  
edgematic

**Audemars Piguet Carbon Diver Cartel/H-fax Photo REVIEW**

edgematic

Hey guys,

As you all might know I’m an avid fan of AP. I love the whole brand image and almost every design going from watches up to the fountain pens and loupes they offer.

With the forged carbon watches out there everybody on here that likes AP lusted for forged carbon, our first hero was Imaknockov producing his carbon cases, not forged though.

The forging process is something that just can’t be done at home, unless you have quite a good sum in your bank account to spend on mechanical advance toys.

Anyway, fast forward, we’re 2013 and 2-3 makers have been working on the carbon thing. First we had Angus with his “wood” diver. Nice but it not like gen. I liked it though.

Then all of a sudden the cartel came up with a good story and pics. Two of the pics they posted were these, remember it well during my review:

26-08-201319-52-04_zps88cfae48.jpg

DSC_5779_zps33aa8aeb.jpg

When I saw that I just know I had to order, especially since they would deliver quite soon. My fairytale started… Payment sent on the 24th of April.

We all know the sh*t that happened so I’ll skip that part up to now. I received my diver as of today! The 26th of August.

So let me start my official review. Sorry for all the talk, I have not posted a lot lately so here you go.

In 1993, 21 years after the introduction of the Royal Oak, Audemars Piguet introduced the Royal Oak Offshore. It was time for an evolution regarding the Royal Oak collection, to make it more rugged, more sporty and – perhaps – younger. The Offshore is the most popular Audemars Piguet collection without a doubt. Some purists though, might prefer the ‘normal’ Royal Oak collection as it is more or less an understatement, and yes, closer to the original design of 1972.

History aside, I assume you know most of the stuff already in the whole rep world. Today I had the opportunity to have a closer look at the Royal Oak Offshore Diver made out of so called forged carbon. The Offshore collection is pioneering with exotic materials ever since the very first models and forged carbon is one of them. In 2007, Audemars Piguet used forged carbon for the very first time with their Royal Oak Offshore Alinghi Team model. A few years ago, the Royal Oak Offshore Chronograph ‘Bumblebee’ was also made out of forged carbon and was extremely popular.

This time, Audemars Piguet used the popular Royal Oak Offshore Diver (ref.15703, we reviewed it here) as a basis and transformed it into this forged carbon version, ref. 15706AU. The introduction took place during SIHH 2012 but was over snowed with the introduction of the new ‘Jumbo’ ref.15202 watch and offcourse the 40th anniversary of of the model. The Carbon Diver basically used the DNA of the Bumblebee.

DSC_5915_zpse96d4e88.jpg

One of the things that immediately comes to mind is the clever use of scratch resistant (black) ceramic for its bezel. Everyone has his share of dents in his own AP. Because the Offshore case is bigger and thicker, it is easier to bump into something with it.

DSC_5890_zpsd9849042.jpg

There is no transparent caseback. Just the ‘Royal Oak Offshore’ engraving we’ve seen on the previous Diver models and other Offshore models as well. The watch is fitted with an A2824 movement.

DSC_5828_zps9bc5aaca.jpg

IMG_8482_zps2f43450a.jpg

DSC_5796_zpsc180c92d.jpg

DSC_5797_zps276c40bf.jpg

The dial

The dial features a black “Mega tapisserie” pattern the whole Offshore line uses. In my opinion, comparing this to the gen piece, the tapisserie pattern is too small. The circular engravings on the main dial plate are not enough pronounced and the dial does not look glossy enough compared to the gen dial. This might be due to the crystal though.

DSC_5850_zpsa01464fc.jpg

DSC_5852_zps559388a0.jpg

DSC_5880_zps2e4f9c0c.jpg

DSC_5895_zps198dd510.jpg

DSC_5899_zps98e2d0bc.jpg

DSC_5804_zps8092d61a.jpg

DSC_5784_zpsef259383.jpg

The inner rotating flange is predominantly black with the exception of the first 15 minutes which are depicted in yellow. Here, minutes are marked with black minute integers and white strokes every five minutes. Elsewhere Arabic numerals in a modern font are marked, “20”, “30”, “40” and “50”. At noon a triangular index is used. The makers quite nailed the flange ring layout, it’s a good job, the yellow looks amazing and correct. One thing that bothers me a bit is the colour of the lume. It’s a bit different from my dial markers. It would have been nice if it would have been pure white. The rotating mechanism feels solid and good, be sure to check yours when you receive it as there already is a member who reported a problem with that. It feels that solid that I was a bit scary I would break a thing or I would jam it. Luckily it did not.

The dial uses clean applied batons to indicate each hour and at noon double batons are used. The presentation of the batons and numerals is wonderfully legible, everyone will like this. Lume is as good as the gen but nothing compared to a pam or a gen omega planet ocean.

The date is located at 3 o’clock. The maximum depth is shown towards the base of the dial near 6 o’clock, an impressive 300 metres. The date is magnified by using a loupe/cyclops. This was the first big disappointment I encountered when I took out the piece of the plastic. The cyclops s*cks big time, it really does. The first thing that came to my mind was the cyclops of BC (BigCrown) that just looked like a mirror. It does seem to have some AR but it looks often blue. Not like the early V3 diver blue though. It’s not a smurf.

The minute hand is provided by the vivid yellow colour which matches the hue of the diving scale of the aforementioned rotating flange. The second hand is black, tipped with yellow, repeating the colour scheme of the watch. This all looks great and looks like gen in my eyes.

The crystal on this piece is my second disappointment. It does not look like the gen nor like the diver V3/3.5/4.1 which did look like gen. I don’t know what went wrong here but either it has no AR or very bad AR. I hope they correct this on their next version as it’s a big let down for me.

DSC_5906_zps3ced7161.jpg

DSC_5902_zps3d0a53bc.jpg

DSC_5877_zps1f9a25be.jpg

DSC_5875_zps61ccb1ed.jpg

DSC_5907_zpsfd8c3e99.jpg

DSC_5908_zpsed873cad.jpg

The case

The “forged” carbon bestows a totally different character to the watch when contrasted with the steel case version. It exhibits marvellous modernity and the marble-like pattern to its surface proffers a unique aesthetic. One thing that I’m not sure of is if they used the same case maker as the first sample cases I mentioned on my introduction above (the pics you had to remember). If I look at the carbon pattern on those pics it looks forged indeed and perfect as per gen.

However, having the piece in my hands now it looks more like the case Zorrolondon once made. Which is not “forged” at all. A great way of manufacturing but not the gen way. This is an assumption that I made, not a fact. But this might be a reason of postponing the release. The case looks good but in my eyes not as per gen. Finishing looks ok, the gen has a satin kind of finish, very nice. The rep is somewhat in the middle but very good too. I can’t complain.

VS my forged carbon project:

DSC_5918_zpsaf7a9113.jpg

DSC_5917_zps574a3379.jpg

DSC_5916_zps53ab8e33.jpg

DSC_5868_zps107e7c82.jpg

DSC_5863_zpsf3bbcbaf.jpg

DSC_5860_zps622b3c7d.jpg

DSC_5858_zps96e890e8.jpg

This shows the look, the shine:

DSC_5836_zpsadd89ec1.jpg

DSC_5835_zps7d20e945.jpg

The octagonal shaped bezel features eight screws with chamfered slots all perfectly aligned to follow the form of the dial. The bezel really looks amazing and 1:1. But so does the other carbon bezel from Angus. They both look great and they both nailed it on that.

The union of the rubber strap to the case is faithful to original Royal Oak design. The absence of conventional lugs further differentiates the watch and imparts a neoteric character despite 40 years elapsing since its original conception. The strap feels soft and is very flexible, it has some kind of a gummy feel, a sticky feel. I like it though I prefer the gen strap or the strap from the V3/3.5/4.1. This is something I’m gonna replace. The logo is well stamped on the strap. A thing to mention is the strap colour, which is a bit too light. This is only noticeable side by side. The main difference is the feel. The buckle looks good but when taking a closer look we notice that the AP logo is somewhat wrong. The engraving ain’t 1:1. Still it looks good but I’m ought to give you a critical review, which is imo the purpose of it.

DSC_5827_zps655ce937.jpg

DSC_5826_zps0c4fae2f.jpg

DSC_5818_zpsf2faff0d.jpg

The caseback of the movement is another part where it lacks something. The engraving ain’t great, the Royal Oak Offshore logo is completely wrong and way too flat. The sandblasted grain could have been much better. What they did do very good is the SN number and H XXXXX code. The font is great and better than the diver V3/3.5./4.1. The caseback from Angus his FC is better.

The crown of this piece was another disappointment. It looks not centered and badly engraved. Angus his version is better.

DSC_5792_zps878878cb.jpg

The movement

This piece comes with the A2824 movement. Not much grease on the O-ring, it felt dry:

DSC_5919_zps3a649e7d.jpg

DSC_5920_zps83b10a50.jpg

DSC_5921_zps6ce81817.jpg

DSC_5922_zps5fa524e5.jpg

Conclusion

Well, after a wait of about 4 months I’m disappointed with their 1:1 diver. Don’t get me wrong, I do like it a lot but the marketing and the hype around it is wrong. This piece ain’t the rep of 2013 if that is what you are hoping for. It’s a great rep but the SS version is just way better repped. The build structure is 1:1 as per gen indeed. Basically if you want this version to be closer as per gen this is what you should do:

- Get a noob dial and Cyclops (V3 – 3.5 – 4.1) and replace it with the H fac

- Get a noob movement, imo their datewheel is a bit better (if you are really really picky)

- Get an Angus FC Diver caseback and crown

- Get a noob crystal (if they fit the ceramic bezel)

- Mod the movement to low beat

- Get the noob strap

That’s about it. I hope this has been helpful for everyone that is on the fence. And if you ask me which one I prefer, SS or FC then I say SS as it’s more versatile, classy. The FC is a true sports watch, but I like it a lot as well. Heck, it’s an AP… 

This is the first order from the cartel and definitely my last order. Everyone might be happy with the watch but I think further than that alone. I won’t forget the customer service regarding this release and updates they gave us. This is a fairytale but the ending ain’t that great imo. I will however enjoy this piece, I hope you guys do to!

Thanks for reading.

*None of the pics have been edited!

MOVIE:

th_DSC_5896_zps8c4a7a2a.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall impression:

• Good value for the money but the SS is much better value for money

• Good quality/finish compared to the genuine article

• Nitpickers, count in mods as mentioned above, main problem is crystal and cyclops which are real sh*t

FLAWS (guys, you should know that I am a real pain in the *ss nitpicker, most of these flaws can only be seen up close):

• Lume should match better (colour wise)

• Dial ain’t that great vs gen dial, the tapisserie looks too small and concentric circles are not enough pronounced, it’s not shiny enough too

• Bad crystal regarding AR

• Bad cyclops regarding AR

• Caseback could have been better

• Crown is bad, uncentered engraving and bad engraving

• Strap is too soft, gummy, sticky vs gen but doesn’t feel bad

Problems on mine:

Dial was unevenly placed, I already corrected this and my datewheel is f*cked, it’s not centered. This will get fixed as I will get a noob diver and use that dial/movement. There was also dust on my dial.

Thanks for viewing my thread. Please feel free to post your AP Carbon Diver pics and impressions!

MORE PICS TO COME! NOW IT'S DINNER TIME! :)

solkryssare

Great review!

edgematic

DSC_5781_zps2ce4f479.jpg

DSC_5782_zps3e1a34e9.jpg

DSC_5780_zps817ed3cb.jpg

DSC_5786_zps62260398.jpg

DSC_5787_zps635a3aa9.jpg

DSC_5788_zps227baf58.jpg

DSC_5789_zpsa36f531f.jpg

DSC_5790_zps9c91d648.jpg

DSC_5792_zps878878cb.jpg

DSC_5793_zpscf390402.jpg

DSC_5794_zpscb44681d.jpg

DSC_5799_zps00465c66.jpg

DSC_5800_zpsc333e18d.jpg

DSC_5802_zps57a991bd.jpg

DSC_5803_zps3f242204.jpg

DSC_5806_zps47e2200d.jpg

DSC_5809_zpsa962b148.jpg

DSC_5812_zps4d56afbd.jpg

DSC_5818_zpsf2faff0d.jpg

DSC_5823_zps8d95622e.jpg

DSC_5825_zpsd23fe475.jpg

DSC_5846_zpsd4006550.jpg

DSC_5849_zps0309feee.jpg

DSC_5853_zpsa1dff4e5.jpg

DSC_5858_zps96e890e8.jpg

DSC_5869_zpsf9617281.jpg

DSC_5871_zps259b0d5a.jpg

DSC_5872_zps0ce4b3a7.jpg

DSC_5899_zps98e2d0bc.jpg

DSC_5901_zps0cad4f5f.jpg

DSC_5904_zps0f9d6d51.jpg

DSC_5906_zps3ced7161.jpg

DSC_5872_zps0ce4b3a7.jpg

Edited by edgematic

dalboy

Confess that AP's are not really my thing..

But i quite like this one..do love reading your topics too.

Dal.

Cyril_Clunge

Fantastic review mate, thank you very much.

Freepower

Fantastic review

thank you very much.

Love cf !

mr-z

Hey Buddy great review .. without the candy covered coating .. straight talking ... far from what was advertised by the maker ! Thanks for putting the H diver where is belongs ... not 1:1 as claimed !! that being said mine should be here this week also !

Dumspiro

Great review

mianos

Not that it matters with a closed caseback, but I am somewhat surprised they are still showing gen movements mixed in the the rep photos on the website. I thought they might have even engraved the rotor but I think, now they have had our money for four months they gave up giving a crap.

donjuan18

Thanks for the review. Understand that v4 have exactly the same bad cyclops as well.

Rolexwatchman

whoa!!! nice! Is this trustytimes or other?

edgematic

This is the one from trustytime.

The cyclops of the V4 is a bit less reflecting. The winner is the noob diver concerning dial, cyclopses, crystal and date font.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheSav

Great write up and pics! It'll be interesting to see what the next release holds.

baxter

great review , thanks ... i really like this watch despite the flaws.

mr-z

h fac diver with noob crystal

a83d80c6-401f-4d91-ae33-e186f988b0fd.jpg

mr-z
f7670544-5770-4dfe-a3fd-3ab47bd96e60.jpg

mr-z

and the case it not gen close either .. here you go !!gen gp with h-fac diver (noob crystal)

93aad443-51cf-4728-9979-90184d91ed7b.jpg

Rolexwatchman

getting there

mr-z

H-Fac diver .. modded ! noob crystal ,noob dial ,cyclops .. noob dw not much difference from the H-fac DW so kept the H-fac dw and movement ! angus v2 case back and buckle !!

case and bezel and tachy remains the same !!

b67b628c-55c1-40cc-a9a4-07de07dd7e93_zpsb0485f08.jpg

Now it looks like what it should have been .. after all the f@@king mods

machiavegli

Edgematic

Great review, I'm wearing the AP FC diver by TT that I reviewed earlier &

now thanks to you I'm much more aware of the cyclops and AR... darn it!!! :D It's still getting a ton of wrist time & I've shown it off to a watchmaker friend who actually tried to buy it off me!

Nice thorough review,

-Mach

crazykid

Been drooling over this watch as well, and reading all reviews. My question is that if you don't have the talent/tools to do the modding yourself (I don't), is there a modder who can do it all in house or do you have to send it to several?

I've bought several reps, but never dealt with any kind of modding.

pansil

H-Fac diver .. modded ! noob crystal ,noob dial ,cyclops .. noob dw not much difference from the H-fac DW so kept the H-fac dw and movement ! angus v2 case back and buckle !!

case and bezel and tachy remains the same !!

Now it looks like what it should have been .. after all the f@@king mods

please give us some more instructions.. Shall i buy a noob fc diver watch and use it as spare parts ?!

Pseudonym

Great review... very informative.

At the time of writing was the H-Fac V3 used?

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

WOW......so much to learn......what an informative post......