Sign in to follow this  
PickledBeetroot

Pilot crashed into a tree

PickledBeetroot

Whilst mowing my lawn i got the crown of my favourite watch caught in a small tree!! My IWC Big Pilot has suffered some damage and i'd like some help and guidance on how to repair this little beauty.

Its a toro version that i got via M2M from HWG (who i never did properly thank :thumbsup: "thank you") some time last December and Its been a weekend fav. of mine ever since.

Now the nitty gritty- I've removed the back and taken pictures of the movement.

It looks like the winder/ time changer pin has snapped.

I think from previous time setting, there was a spring in there somewhere because there was always some resistance screwing down the crown.

Also the crown has now probably been eaten by my lawnmower, as no end of scowering round my garden on all fours with a magnet (much to the amusement of my neighbours) have i been able to locate the aforementioned crown.

So before i make a total arsehole of myself and try get the movement out of the case, which WILL result in watch shrapnel being jet propelled across my kitchen, i'd like the advice of some of the more experianced "modding" and "repairing" type members please.

Feel free to flame me to death too

And now for the pics--

BP missing crown

null_zps62d2b2a4.jpg

Various Movement pics-

null_zps0223bbc6.jpg

null_zps2934097d.jpg

null_zpsd6bdac6d.jpg

null_zps5a6d8c68.jpg

null_zpsb2dd16f3.jpg

null_zps4a9982fd.jpg

Thanks in advance

PBR

dalboy

Any excuse to show off your photography skills..

State of that movement.... " Dirtier than a 2 bob whore "..

Sorry Stu cant help ya..one of the dream team will be along in a bit .. :giggle:

PickledBeetroot

Sorry Stu cant help ya..one of the dream team will be along in a bit .. :giggle:

Its just pure filth in there............ bit like your mind Dal :giggle:

Odyseus

For starters you'll need a new stem for a DG2813 movement.. I assume that this watch doesn't have a threaded crown. Now to find a new crown..You might need to measure the diameter of the stem tube..

PickledBeetroot

Many Thanks Odyseus, the crown did screw down. At least I know where to start now.

I did forget to say that the date changer is a pusher on the side near the 7 instead of first pull of the crown. I don't know if it makes a difference??

The watch still works perfectly well too, strangely enough, just cannot set the time.

dalboy

Its just pure filth in there............ bit like your mind Dal :giggle:

You know me too well.

ads-1991

I "think" the hole just to the upper left of the stem in photo 5 is to release the stem. you'll need to push that down gently with one hand and gently pull the stem out with the other.

This video may be of help

at 42 secs you'll see what I mean.

Id wait for the more knowledgeable members to confirm though. As Odyseus said you'll need a new stem and crown. (id contact a TD and ask for a stem and crown for that watch, should be pretty cheap) I just got a dial and hands for my IWC ingenieur for 25USD delivered!

Cheers.

Baldrick
So before i make a total arsehole of myself

Bit late for that, ......status was achieved when you decided to wear the Pilot when 'gardening' (does one not have an arborist )....G-Shocks are de rigeur for menial tasks ;)

Lord Flashheart

My gardener wears a Patek. Well the head gardener does, the groundsmen make do with Rolex.

myaz

Whew, relief. Pilots ususally have a more serious issues to worry about when they crash into trees.

PickledBeetroot

Bit late for that, ......status was achieved when you decided to wear the Pilot when 'gardening' (does one not have an arborist )....G-Shocks are de rigeur for menial tasks ;)

Point taken Mr.B, one doth learn by one's mistakes!

PickledBeetroot
My gardener wears a Patek. Well the head gardener does, the groundsmen make do with Rolex.

Rolex?? Dear god Mi' Lud, surely this only happens after dark?

Baldrick

Point taken Mr.B, one doth learn by one's mistakes!

Perhaps one should consult the TD's in order to determine availability of an IWC Big Gardener.....may be more apropos, preferably the "not easily fukked-off small crown version" ;)

Cyril_Clunge
:lmao2:

onionbag

My gardener wears earrings and has French-polished nails.........

sconehead

My gardener wears earrings and has French-polished nails.........

...Greg has a gardening sideline?

nev848

Oh the joys of well built Reps.... What was the tree a Bonsai.

PickledBeetroot

Was a mighty oak Nev, 12E6B426-974B-4621-956E-7A049F4A3818-211-0000030250EB4186.jpg

Olly

I suggest you get on all 4's in the garden to find the crown :giggle: . Go out at night with a flash light so the neighbours don't have a laugh :rofl:

Good Luck !!

nev848

Was a mighty oak Nev, 12E6B426-974B-4621-956E-7A049F4A3818-211-0000030250EB4186.jpg

Holy shit buddy how the hell did you walk in to a big Oak.... You are meant to mow the grass not smoke it :)

trailboss99

Crown is probably brass mate so the magnet wouldn't have done much.

You will need a stem and of cause a BP crown. Try Marvellous Replica and ask if they can source you a crown.

If they can not head on over to RWI and ask InTime (Ryan).

You may well have stripped the thread in the crown tube however so get a magnifying glass and check on the state of the thread (it's internal) as you may well need to order a tube with the crown.

Lord Flashheart: You permit the staff to wear something as common as Rolex? I'm truly shocked and dismayed to find that standards are slipping at FHM.

PickledBeetroot
Crown is probably brass mate so the magnet wouldn't have done much.

You will need a stem and of cause a BP crown. Try Marvellous Replica and ask if they can source you a crown.

If they can not head on over to RWI and ask InTime (Ryan).

You may well have stripped the thread in the crown tube however so get a magnifying glass and check on the state of the thread (it's internal) as you may well need to order a tube with the crown.

Lord Flashheart: You permit the staff to wear something as common as Rolex? I'm truly shocked and dismayed to find that standards are slipping at FHM.

Big Thanks for the info TB, looking into it now!!

torobravo

I can get you a new crown, pm me

PickledBeetroot
I can get you a new crown, pm me

PM sent