Sign in to follow this  
cogwatch

Too Fucking Cool !!!!!

cogwatch

I just took apart a watch for the first time. This is fucking cool. I even got the crown out without breaking anything. In the top 100 of the most exciting things I've ever done.

And for those noobs out there reading this, use the damn search function. I got the watch apart, that was easy as this case back had screws. But I had no idea how to get the crown out to take the movement out of the case. It took about 30 seconds to get the general idea via a search for, you guessed it, "how to remove a crown". Imagine that. Then 30 seconds more to determine mine had a magic button (no, not THAT magic button!!!). Push the button and voilà, the crown comes out easy peasy.

The whole purpose of the project is to see if I can correct a hands misalignment. When the hour hand is on the hour, the minute hand is about half past the hour. So.......back to the search function for "how to realign the hands".

Wish me luck!!!!!

image_zps2c8a23a6.jpg

image_zps0e348fa6.jpg

TheInthusiest

I wish you luck.

You happy? LOL isnt it fun? HAHA

TheTinMan

You should probably get a movement holder if you plan on doing this, and you should never put a movement down on carpet like that (if that is carpet - hard to tell), especially quartz movements. Other than that, good stuff.

1littlegreen

Great job!!!! It does get addictive....slippery slope ;) Next you'll be moddin'

You should probably get a movement holder if you plan on doing this, and you should never put a movement down on carpet like that (if that is carpet - hard to tell), especially quartz movements. Other than that, good stuff.

Interesting quartz........ :Whistle:

cogwatch

^^^^^^^^ yes, that's the new quartzless quartz.

It's a dish towel, but you're right, here I have it sitting with the hands down and the thin delicate second hand just waiting ti catch a thread. Doh!!!

TheTinMan

I'm not suggesting that movement is quartz, just be careful, that's all.

Baldrick
In the top 100 of the most exciting things I've ever done.

Isn't there a door in your basement :blink:

TheTinMan

^^^^^^^^ yes, that's the new quartzless quartz.

It's a dish towel, but you're right, here I have it sitting with the hands down and the thin delicate second hand just waiting ti catch a thread. Doh!!!

All I'm saying is that you can zap/shock a movement because carpet will transmit electricity. It could be more of an issue with quartz. Now get back to work!!

cogwatch

Nope, it was built around me..... :-)

Baldrick

Nope, it was built around me..... :-)

Good move on someone's part ;)

TheTinMan

By the way, Good Luck. I've certainly wanted to do this, I just never gathered the courage to.

NFleischer

Nice work, looks like a good mov't also, I'd say Gen ETA from the picture.

SSTEEL

Congrats my friend, its great fun isn't it :)

ReplicaFromDownunder

Now put it back together with no pubic hairs. Then I'll be impressed.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

dator

May be just me, but take the rotor off. I've had countless keyless works problems on A2824/2836, until I got a movement holder and removed the rotor and let the watch wind down.

cogwatch

Update with progress pics. I can't believe this went so well (knock wood.....)

Before: 20 minutes out of alignment

image_zps69cec66c.jpg

During and after. No special tools, just duct tape, bailing wire, and vice grips. OK, and sticky notes.

image_zpse05c32c6.jpg

image_zpsd03dc358.jpg

image_zps081d54d4.jpg

9956e2d2-be04-4ddf-915a-5e262426db4c_zpse45f83f4.jpg

image_zps79a2302e.jpg

image_zps689de6b4.jpg

image_zps579908c5.jpg

image_zpsacc0e2cb.jpg

Two hours and fifteen minutes later still looking good.

e3f2e7d9-cb9f-4380-a573-45c51426a966_zps266ac481.jpg

sequel7

nice work... just curious... how did you remove the hands?

cogwatch
nice work... just curious... how did you remove the hands?

I just carefully pried them up with a very small screwdriver. Then used a piece of a sticky note to hold the hands for putting them back on. Then finger pressure to seat them as best I could. I'm sure there's a special tool for removing and for replacing them, but a small screwdriver and sticky notes is all I had at hand.......

One thing I didn't do was put some protection over the dial. Stupid not to, but in this case I got lucky and not a scratch :-)

kcawsey

Interesting, my wife's swiss 2836 is the same, while changing the time, the minute hand stopped and got out of sink to the hr hand but I can't replicate to correct. Thought that taking the hand off and repositioning would solve the problem but haven't the courage to try it, this could inspire me! :itchyandscratchy:

JoelMarrs

You must be having some nice tools to do that..that work seems to ne pretty much delicate.

cogwatch

Interesting, my wife's swiss 2836 is the same, while changing the time, the minute hand stopped and got out of sink to the hr hand but I can't replicate to correct. Thought that taking the hand off and repositioning would solve the problem but haven't the courage to try it, this could inspire me! :itchyandscratchy:

Yep, just do it. It's not doing her any good anyway sitting in a drawer not getting worn because the hands are F'd up. I just dove in with the thought that if I screw it up I won't be any worse off as far as the watch still being useless and I'd learn something in the process whether it was successful or not.

cogwatch

You must be having some nice tools to do that..that work seems to ne pretty much delicate.

No, as I said above, just a small screwdriver and some sticky note paper......

cogwatch

And to pass on the key thing I learned, below shows the button that releases the crown on this movement. Your's may be different, but it gives you a clue what to look for.

7ff0e1c7-b3ac-4379-ba51-650a2b54d399_zpsae983eac.jpg

nev848

Yep the hard bit is getting the little bastard back in again :)

kcawsey

Thanks, will give it a go this weekend :death: