Sign in to follow this  
pierric

daytona 116506 50th anniversary

pierric

Hello there,

I am a rollie enthusiast and I would like to buy a daytona 11656. I love the ice blue and chestnut color on the pictures. Of course as it is 80 000 $ for a gen, ( no doubt it's worth every penny!) I have never seen such a thing in the real life ;) and I can only figure myself, based on the pictures, how it would be on my wrist.

Not all of the TD propose it.

I found it by:

kingwatch:

7353_P_1380103517153.png

Marvellous replica (picture can't be copied on their site)

TSwatch:

14514.jpg

also trusty.

It's surprising how colours are different from one picture to another.

The watches are all barely at the same price and I suppose they are all the same.

What should I know about the Daytona 116506 before I decide to buy one? (except for sure hat the rep's case and bracelet aren't platinum but steel).

Is the reliability issue about the seconds at "6" solved on this model with the asia Valjoux or is it still a problem?

I am very concerned about time accuracy and reliability cause 300 $ is an amount of money and I can't stand a beautiful thing that doesn't last. (Oh my youngness where are you ;);) ?? ).

All your answers are welcome and will be helpfull for me poor newbie!

Thanks.

Edited by pierric

Stuvetjee

do some reading first about daytona reps :P

timebomb @6! And with the "new" improvements. They are still bad. They claim that there are more jewels, but its a lie ;)

Edited by Stuvetjee

pierric

Well a jewel-watch that doesn't give time is not a jewel nor a watch IMO it is more a waste of money...

I didn't find so much topics about the daytonas, except that there is an issue in the fact the movement has been roughly modified to put the seconds at 6 and that the reliabilty of this mod is bad.

this topic:

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...p?showtopic=112

is from 2008. Issue hasn't been solved since at your knowledge?

Edited by pierric

pierric

greg-r answered to my question in june 2013...

"...replicas of the modern Daytona tend to have reliability issues. Best option is to go for the vintage style versions with hand wind and secs@9".

Hum. Disappointed.

Odyseus

Don't assume that every sec@6 will fail? Some are OK, mines still running fine after a few months. If they were that bad, the TD's wouldn't offer a warranty on them.

I still hear people saying the that standard A7750 are rubbish, when they are clearly very reliable

pierric

You give me hope again!

It seems to be a lot of work and a lot of money trying to fix this issue with the seconds @6 on the modern daytonas and I was wondering if I shouldn't fall in love with another watch.

pierric

... If they were that bad, the TD's wouldn't offer a warranty on them...

Never EVER buy a french car Odyseus!

Edited by pierric

Rolexwatchman

Might have to be really careful... Im trying to find a similar movements but out of luck.. I think you should get the vintage style instead.

Like 6263

pierric

after reading here and on others forums I understand that seconds at 6 on a modern daytona can become tricky after a short time.

Freddy333 on RWG sisterforum: "...If your watch has the running seconds at the 6 o'clock subdial (like the gen 1165xx), then this is a known issue, which affect most (but not all) of these reps. The problem is due to the lack of jeweling for the additional gearing required to relocate the running seconds from its original location to the 6 o'clock subdial."

So graphite lubrication? add one, or two or three extra jewels? Froze the seconds? Remove and change the movement (gulp)?

All of this isn't for me cause I belong to the "less techny folks". I wonder if I should: 1) give up and forget all the story 2) buy the watch ad see what happens 3) ask Wiz (I stay in France) if he can fix that issue when it happens and then buy the watch if the answer is "yes".

Has anyone else an opinion on this question? I'd like to know the opinion of modern daytona owners since one or two years.

Edited by pierric

Rolexwatchman

or 4. Don't buy rep models with second at 6 o'clock... get standard non-GMT, Chrono or whatsoever :D

it's gonna be a waste of your money dude...

SSTEEL

Sounds to me that the frozen chronograph hand @12 would be right for you. Faux subdials, frozen large second hand, and still have seconds running in the sub-dial @6. A pleasant looking watch without the complications.

746_heuer

it is 80 000 $ for a gen, ( no doubt it's worth every penny!) .

yeah...no

Rolexwatchman

it is 80 000 $ for a gen, ( no doubt it's worth every penny!) .

yeah...no

:) If I got lots of cash... everything is worth it... Rolex can shut up and take my money :D hehe but now the rep is worth it and shut up also take my money....

pierric

Sounds to me that the frozen chronograph hand @12 would be right for you. Faux subdials, frozen large second hand, and still have seconds running in the sub-dial @6. A pleasant looking watch without the complications.

Pleasant looking without complication sounds sweet to my ears.

woudn't it be more simple to froze the second sub-dial at "6"?

Excuse my newbieness.

Edited by pierric

johnnyjazz

Have tried on both precious metal models, gens, the weight alone is something that the reps cannot match, tempted by the full rose gold with black face at £26,000 but they can reduce it to £19,000, still a bit pricey. Try the gen on, you will not want a rep.

Rolexwatchman

Have tried on both precious metal models, gens, the weight alone is something that the reps cannot match, tempted by the full rose gold with black face at £26,000 but they can reduce it to £19,000, still a bit pricey. Try the gen on, you will not want a rep.

I think he wants the rep because the genuine cost alot? hell, if I got that cash to spare for a watch, I wouldn't want a rep.

SSTEEL

Pleasant looking without complication sounds sweet to my ears.

woudn't it be more simple to froze the second sub-dial at "6"?

Excuse my newbieness.

No, because the movement with frozen big second hand is a 21J movement, and another bonus us is a more gen like case, thinner case back ;)

CedricWX

Got the Gen, plus 4 Reps. Love the Reps