Sign in to follow this  
<RJ>

Sinn U1000 Review

<RJ>

I needed another chronograph and wanted something different than the others ive had. The Sinns have been in my sight for a long time but i never managed to pull the trigger on one. There was always some Breitling on the list i had to have. I discovered the U1000 while browsing the Sinn site and realized what a cool watch it really is. I love the simplicity of it as on the other Sinn divers.

Description from Sinn:

The U1000 is the superlative diving chronograph with a distinctive character. A watch with very special characteristics and high-tech features not found anywhere else. All our watch designs adhere to the principle that »form follows function«, and the U1000 is no exception, with an imposing appearance that underscores its robustness and functional reliability. These are indispensable characteristics for anyone with the highest expectations of suitability for everyday use for a personal safety system under extreme diving and usage conditions.

Below are some of the highlights of the gen.

• Case made of high-strength seawater-resistant German submarine steel
  • Tested and based on European diving equipment standards and certified by Germanischer Lloyd, Hamburg
  • SINN SZ 02 movement with a 60-second scale for the stopwatch minute
  • Case made with TEGIMENT Technology and therefore especially scratch-resistant
  • Ar-Dehumidifying Technology enhances functional reliability and freedom from fogging
  • Functionally reliable from –45 °C up to +80°C
  • Captive Safety Diver's Bezel with guard to prevent accidental misadjustment
  • Crown and push-pieces on the left side of the case to prevent pressure on the back of the hand
  • Flat, non-screwable, large-format push-pieces ensure that chronograph functions can be triggered properly even when the user is wearing diving gloves
  • Its design guarantees this to a nominal pressure of 100 bar
  • Special sealing of push-pieces and crown
  • Mission timer design for optimal readability
  • Sapphire crystal glass
  • Pressure-resistant to 1,000 m diving depth (100 bar), certified by Germanischer Lloyd Hamburg
  • Low pressure resistant

The rep don't have the domed sapphire crystal and only comes on the Silicone strap. That is a pity since i think its looking darn good on the steel bracelet, Other than that its doing its job as rep pretty good! The ar coating is very good! On all rep sites they claim the 7750 movement in this one comes with a working regulator, On mine however the regulator was nowhere to be seen. Since you cant see the regulator it really doesn't matter that much. If you are anal about these things it will bug you so if you are going to get one make sure they guarantee it for what its worth.

On some pictures of gens i see a slight difference in font on the bezel numbers and also thickness of the markers on the bezel. I think its the usual difference in manufacturing. Or maybe the gens are not really gens in the gen forums. The screws on the side of the bezel is not were they are supposed to and the HE valve is not looking as it does on the gen. The 60 minute dial @ 6 work as your standard 30 min would just painted to 60 and jumps 2 mins each minute. These are some of the differences to the gen noticeable at a glance.

I have used it for some weeks now and also tried it on black leather. It looks nice on both but my opinion is that it wears the Silicone best because the springbars sits so low on the lugs that the watch sits to high when on "regular" strap designs. There are straps that are made to integrate with the case if there is a need for one, The lume is not super and have different brightness on hands and markers. The folding clasp on the strap works well and so does the diver extension.The clasp is sensitive to scratches. The case however seems to withstand more beatings, Similar to better pvd coating according to my experience. I will try to figure out how to polish this surface.

Some pictures for reference and enjoyment!

First Gen, Then Rep:

I have edited pictures in photobucket and they wont update, but since i finally got some time i post it anyway!

U1000_V_zps3a9aba06.jpg

IMAG0017_zpsa179f007.jpg

genpusherside_zpsc6acd31c.jpg

IMAG0040_zpsfbb7e593.jpg

U1000_L.jpg

IMAG0039_zps3fd37dca.jpg

U1000_D.jpg

IMAG1943_zps7a3de9d9.jpg

U1000_H.jpg

IMAG0045_zpsf98ea905.jpg

More pictures of the rep:

IMAG0047_zps13f9b863.jpg

IMAG0042_zps86fe162c.jpg

IMAG0041_zps12b0775c.jpg

IMAG0016_zpsb62bf6c2.jpg

IMAG0009_zps8fbe6b9a.jpg

IMAG0008_zpse375a7c1.jpg

IMAG0003_zps42635af1.jpg

IMAG0001_zps089cd211.jpg

IMAG0050_zps22791cb0.jpg

IMAG1957_zpsab9ef783.jpg

IMAG1944_zps22aff245.jpg

Size comparison with my dracula

IMAG1942_zpse8dcce3f.jpg

SSTEEL

Looks nice, and would benefit from a relume for sure. Thanks for the review :)

DG335

Great watch although that surface is a bugger to keep free from marks. Its like a sand blasted finish but once scratched you can't really ever get it back to a good finish

emtp101

That is a very nice watch, i do like the finish but once scratched you will tell right away.

<RJ>

Great watch although that surface is a bugger to keep free from marks. Its like a sand blasted finish but once scratched you can't really ever get it back to a good finish

Yep. And if i don't pass it on before scratches maybe a sandblasting would be nice to do!

DG335

let me know how you get on if you do. I have 2 U1 cases that I've wasted and might try myself

<RJ>

let me know how you get on if you do. I have 2 U1 cases that I've wasted and might try myself

Will do. I dont think it will happen in the foreseeable future though.

twofake

Hey thanks for the nice review. Yes definitely needs the relume!

I have seen these at the Sinn dealer here in Brisbane ( only dealer in Australia so they picked a good location).

The tegimented technology is amazing. The store owner wears an old Sinn and it has virtually no scratch marks on it at all.

You may need to buy a gen.

onzenuub

Nice review.

thorny007

Nice looking watch. How's the movement so far?

<RJ>

Nice looking watch. How's the movement so far?

Some necroposting for you!

The movement is as fine as it was when i got it :)

J!m

Thank you for the review! I was curious about the minute counter and now I have my answer!

The He valve is actually a copper sulfate capsule to absorb moisture in the watch. It turns green if there is any moisture in the case. It looks totally different but I think you could maybe tap the hole and put a tiny set screw in there for a better look and better seal against water...

I like this watch.... Now to figure out that minute counter problem...