Sign in to follow this  
Kemist

Rep glass becomes foggy after flash

Kemist

Hi everyone,

uhe7agah.jpg

So I was wearing my friend's omega PO he just bought a few days ago and came up with an idea: used a DSLR flash-gun to flash into the PO to see how good the lume was. After shooting a strong flash (100% power), the glass of the PO immediately became foggy??? As you can see from the photo, there is still a mark of the minute hand somewhere between marker 6 and 7.

I've done this many times with my other reps and Gen seiko and never had a problem before? What have i done? Is it gonna come back :-(?

It looks like condensation but im not so sure? If thats condensation then where is the water vapour from and was the flash-gun really that strong?

mysterio

I suggest you have a watchsmith open the watch and see whether that image is removable. Never knew a flash gun would leave an imprint like that.

nev848

I doubt it condensation from a flash of heat that short. If there is air inside the watch then that will contain moisture molecules so condensation is always a possibility.

I would say it's more of a reaction with the AR softcoat on the crystal. You have basically caused a reaction on the coat similar to a negative on camera film.

As for a cure not really sure it may reduce out in natural UV light or in other words the Sunshine.

mrmarcus86

sick....

SSTEEL

The environment these reps are put together, there is no doubt that there is dust on the underside of the crystal, this is what you see maybe.

I know, doesn't make sense to me either.

Cheapo68

After closer look I would say it's more discolouration of the dial itself rather than the AR coating or condensation (i'm said friend, hashtag badluckbrian)

black263

Dyes are susceptible to fading in sunlight. You may have caused something similar with the light and heat from the flashgun. I say heat, because on my powerful flash, if you put your hand on the lens and fire it, it bloody hurts.

Cheapo68
Dyes are susceptible to fading in sunlight. You may have caused something similar with the light and heat from the flashgun. I say heat, because on my powerful flash, if you put your hand on the lens and fire it, it bloody hurts.
Thanks for that black263, looks like we are getting somewhere with this. What do we need to do to fix fading on dial then? Because it is now sort of half faded

black263
Thanks for that black263, looks like we are getting somewhere with this. What do we need to do to fix fading on dial then? Because it is now sort of half faded

New dial, I should imagine. How do you fix carpet that has faded in the sunshine? Edit. Just noticed there is the mark of the minute hand. I presume that is where the minute hand shaded the dial from the flash. Should be something similar for the hour hand. If it is fading, the shadows would be darker than the faded dial.

The fogging could well be the AR coating also being affected.

Corral

Looks like the heat of the flash gun altered the dial's paint. Perhaps the paint used on this replica is more vulnerable to heat than the one on other replicas. Only solution would be installing a new dial.

Kemist

Seems like the dial needs to be replaced and the inside of the glass needs to be cleaned to get rid of the shadow.

Anyone knows roughly how much it might cost for this kind of service? And lets just assume there is no rep-friendly watchsmith in Australia :-( :-(

Frankt8242

If the dial paint has faded only after one bright flash, there is a definite chance that this can only go down hill from here...It appears that the dial was coated with some VERY flawed paint...

The good news is: Eventually someone is going to want to build a franken of one of these in @ 20 years, and that dial will become quite coveted... :giggle: :giggle:

Edited by Frankt8242

MadButcher

Conclusion is obvious here - NEVER EVER take pictures of your reps, otherwise you will fuck up your crystals :suck:

Frankt8242

It appears to me that the dial, not the crystal was affected...An easy test would be to repeat the procedure 10 more times and see what happens... :giggle:

LightGeek

Wow, that's interesting. Perhaps some lume powder is on the dial? I don't know... unless your flash is like this:

24269-minipic.jpg

black263

Wow, that's interesting. Perhaps some lume powder is on the dial? I don't know... unless your flash is like this:

24269-minipic.jpg

Actually that's not such a dumb idea. My car window gets a haze on the inside in Summer, apparently caused by chemicals evaporating from the plastics in the sunshine, and condensing on the cooler screen. If you have baked the dial with the heat from the flash, and some of the paint evaporated, it has to deposit somewhere.

black263

If the dial paint has faded only after one bright flash, there is a definite chance that this can only go down hill from here...It appears that the dial was coated with some VERY flawed paint...

The good news is: Eventually someone is going to want to build a franken of one of these in @ 20 years, and that dial will become quite coveted... :giggle: :giggle:

Just call it vintagised, and sell it for a fortune on the geek.

twofake

Another option is to ignore it and don't bother about spending more on Repairs but wear this one as is and get another rep as you cannot have too many watches.

BigBuys

:lmao2:

Mystery Shopper

Maybe adjust the time to 12:15 and flash it again? See if the existing minute hand shadow disappears.

Kemist

Another option is to ignore it and don't bother about spending more on Repairs but wear this one as is and get another rep as you cannot have too many watches.

If only the dial is cooked then I think it might worth something somwhere down the track, but the glass is foggy too :( :trainwreck:

Yea probly have to do keep it and get it serviced later together with others

Maybe adjust the time to 12:15 and flash it again? See if the existing minute hand shadow disappears.

I was just afraid I gonna make another shade mark for the upper part of the dial :sad:

ANyone has any idea how much it'd cost for this kind of service? :bounce:

Corral

To replace a dial? Not much, just ask a trusted dealer for the dial's price and get a watchsmith you trust to install it. It will cost much less than a new watch that's for sure.

Kemist

To replace a dial? Not much, just ask a trusted dealer for the dial's price and get a watchsmith you trust to install it. It will cost much less than a new watch that's for sure.

Yea that's what I've done. Everything has been completed, just waiting for it to be shipped back.