Sign in to follow this  
primal98

A7750 as a Daily Beater

primal98

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what people's experiences were with day-to-day usage of the A7750... particularly an unserviced one. Is this a movement that can be used on a day-to-day basis, or should one avoid daily usage?

Conex

I have one in my Graham that's been running for three years. Never had it serviced. I don't wear it every day but maybe once a week. I have probably jinxed it now.

nofitstate

Use my PAM 299 as daily beater and it's been fine.

JSJ

Been wearing my IWC 3777 most of the time for over 2 months and it's fine. Keeps great time (like gains about a second a week).

IMG_20140311_084813_zpsee3b9026.jpg

primal98

That is very interesting!

I ask because it seems there is a mixed bag. Where I am located, there do not appear to be any rep friendly watch smiths. As such, I would like to get the maximum use out of the watch before looking for servicing abroad (is one year too much to ask for?). I'd like to avoid having to have further work done on it "right out of the box" :)

Edited by primal98

Frankt8242

I wouldn't recc using one for ANY purpose!!........

(The voice of experience!!) :noway: :noway: :noway:

Loonie

95% of mine are fine (I have a good few).

Though Chinese QC means that there are always a few bad apples. Servicing would weed these ones out...

Edited by Loonie

fana05

Hit or miss as with every rep.. it's the luck of the draw. You may get a clone movement that craps out on you after the first few hours on the wrist or it might run strong for months or even years.

primal98

care to elaborate :) I know some are unreliable, but arent those the sec@6

greg_r

Personally I wouldn't use an a7750 as a daily beater, but then I'm paranoid... ;)

FWIW even gen ETA 7750s can be a tad fragile (I've had a gen Longines go wrong within the first 12 months)..

Seriously, though, as others have said it's the luck of the draw. If you get a good one - AND you have a lifestyle which means it doesn't get rough treatment, then you could well be okay. :dunno:

JSJ

I like them so much at the moment that I've come to terms with what might happen. It won't make me any happier when one finally goes belly up but at least I have a spare or two (or 6).

I've always had a chronograph on my wrist of some sort and even occasionally use one.

ThinkBachs

Agreed. I much prefer a non-chrono for daily wear.

Tits McGee

Personally I wouldn't use an a7750 as a daily beater, but then I'm paranoid... ;)

FWIW even gen ETA 7750s can be a tad fragile (I've had a gen Longines go wrong within the first 12 months)..

Seriously, though, as others have said it's the luck of the draw. If you get a good one - AND you have a lifestyle which means it doesn't get rough treatment, then you could well be okay. :dunno:

^^^

Very sound reasoning.

George.

Don't see any problem with a sec @ 9 as a daily beater. Mine was good for 6 months or so (sold it on in the end, still going strong to my knowledge). Then again, my timepieces are usually under a cuff at a desk somewhere - They don't see any wild activity expect for possibly 5-6 PM at Liverpool Street Station ;)

I might think twice about a modified 7750 (sec @ 3 or 6) but that's just me. As others have said, luck of the draw.

I do think the famous issues with this movement are a little 'outdated' now however. They seem to have improved somewhat.

Frankt8242

care to elaborate :) I know some are unreliable, but arent those the sec@6

I have only owned 2, but both were shit...That's enough "elaboration" for me...But the overall reputation this movement "enjoys" is a well known, and often illustrated, factor to consider...Why invite aggravation...???

myaz

IMO, just IMHO, if you have several reps and one goes down, you reach in the box and get another while you fix the first one, but if it's a daily beater, no one close to fix it, and 7750s are not cheap to service, plus you have mailing costs, possible customs problems in the process, time and aggravation, etc............

.................and with SO MANY other reps around, why not pick a different one, and reward yourself with that 7750 later on?

Even though you say "is 1 year too much to ask for?", won't you still be grumbling deep down should it fail?

brtisbuck

I wear a Pam 243 (no chronos, w/ sec @9) daily, unserviced to boot, for a over a year. I only set the date when I'm positive the watch is in the 6:30 am position and it's never been hand wound....not even once. Knock on wood, maybe I got lucky. I wouldn't hesitate to do it with another 7750, just not a seconds @ 6 Daytona. Of course I don't use the chronos on any of my watches - even quartz because I rarely have a need for them, but they look cool. :giggle:

N.Rico

untill now i have 6 and waiting for my #7 7750 movement REP and lucky i think because now problems at all ,i swich them every 2 or 3 days .

if you like them go for it .

dv8

Can the A7750 movement be replaced by lemania in a Daytona? Has anyone tried it? the Seconds at 6 will not be functional but you could have a very reliable watch?

greg_r

Can the A7750 movement be replaced by lemania in a Daytona? Has anyone tried it? the Seconds at 6 will not be functional but you could have a very reliable watch?

'lemania' (misnomer - actually a Sea-Gull ST19) are found in vintage 'tonas but not the modern varieties. It's not a straightforward swap as subdial spacing is different.

dv8

'lemania' (misnomer - actually a Sea-Gull ST19) are found in vintage 'tonas but not the modern varieties. It's not a straightforward swap as subdial spacing is different.

Thanks for the information

ag69

I only buy watches with chrono's because I like the style. I haven't had any problems with my watches except for a Big Bang v6 I need to get services because it is totally dead.

Iz3fuy

I switch wacht weekly, many of them have A7750, never had any problems, maybe it' only good luck?

edigital

I had mixed experiences. The A7750 with seconds at 9 seems to be fine but had a few seconds at 6 fail on me. Think the ration was likel 1 in 4?

nofitstate

I actually wore my 7750 powered Pam 299 while I was Go Karting a couple of weeks ago. After half an hour of some severe vibrations it was still ticking away nicely, and no doubt wound to the max!

Now one thing to note that this watch does not have a chronograph function, just the seconds at 9. I'm guessing that this config is far more stable.