Sign in to follow this  
rusty peters

Miyota clones???

rusty peters

In a past Aqua Terra discussion, someone claimed that the 8215 movements were clones. Anyone here know anything about this?

Stuvetjee

Seriously?! Was is perhaps on the first of april? :lol:

1littlegreen

It is the Japanese equivalent of the ETA28XX series...made in-house for Citizen, then released into the wild for other Japanese manufacturers to use. Kinda....you know what I mean? Kinda sorta?? Maybe??

Not a Chinese clone.....but a Japanese company (Miyota) makes as it's own brand.

RUSH2112

According to angus they are clones. I sent him an email and asked after it received my ap from him with miyota.

rusty peters

I don't think I explained myself. I was under the impression that there was a Chinese copy of a miyota movement being produced. Not a DG2813 or anything legit. I am talking about a fake Miyota. Seems like a silly thing to do. Kind of like repping a Steinhart.

RUSH2112
I don't think I explained myself. I was under the impression that there was a Chinese copy of a miyota movement being produced. Not a DG2813 or anything legit. I am talking about a fake Miyota. Seems like a silly thing to do. Kind of like repping a Steinhart.

I understood. I thought the miyota movement in my ap was maybe the best movement I've had in a rep. I asked angus if the miyotas were gen, refurbished or clones. He says they're clones.

rusty peters

I am guessing the same applies to the new Aqua Terra reps coming out right now.

RUSH2112
I am guessing the same applies to the new Aqua Terra reps coming out right now.

Probably. I wouldn't mind getting a confirmation from another dealer, maybe toro.

1littlegreen

That's like someone replicating a replica of a replica.....fucking redundant when a "gen" Miyota 8215 only costs 40-50USD.....

I'll spend the "extra" and buy a seperate Miyota to replace the POS Chinese 21j all day long.....and it will still be running in 5-10 years thank you...

Repping a Miyota...WTF! How stupid is that? Pretty fucking stupid in my book...

Rant over....

NFleischer

That sucks. So we're paying $450 for a watch with a fake $40 movement??! You can buy any number of gens with real Miyotas for a lot

less. After getting my new Steinhart, I'll be thinking hard before I get another $400 rep with fair QC and who knows what mov't.

RUSH2112

I went ahead and sent an email to toro to see if he can confirm. I think there is a lot of interest in knowing truth about this. I just know that AP that I recently received is smoothest movement I have in a rep based on winding, setting time and date, and very nice sweep. Pulling out crown never feels like you're about to rip crown out of case like other watches especially my planet ocean.

1littlegreen

Exactly....this "new generation" of movements comming out is garbage, and we are actually buying it...

Rep of a rep mis-labled A2836 Hybrids....WTF

Now clone Myiotas!! And to think we would get upset over Swiss vs Asian... now we don't know what we are getting, even if we pay for the movement "upgrade". Speaking of which, what were we upgrading to? A MAYBE Swiss @170USD on top of the purchase price?

I'm sticking to either a Sellita movement or a Myiota swap if I buy anything new from China....Verified.....

Bash64

That's like someone replicating a replica of a replica.....fucking redundant when a "gen" Miyota 8215 only costs 40-50USD.....

I'll spend the "extra" and buy a seperate Miyota to replace the POS Chinese 21j all day long.....and it will still be running in 5-10 years thank you...

Repping a Miyota...WTF! How stupid is that? Pretty fucking stupid in my book...

Rant over....

I agree, repping a Myota seems very odd. Maybe there was a communication disconnect with Angus and he views a gen Myota as a rep?

rusty peters

By the time we find out, there might be clones of rotgut 21j movements hidden in our reps. I like the fact that when a 2813 or 4813 shits itself we can swap a miyota in there and actually end up with a good watch.

aanival

Well I doubt it

But you know

Sead also have for sale a rep of a rep (kw version)

So anything is posible in China

If a clone of a miyota cost 5$ why pay 40$?

1littlegreen

Because....a Miyota will actually work for 40 bucks........

Your money....still want to spend 450 on a watch with a 5 dollar movement?? Have at it buddy, you'll be doing PP disputes because it's not 1:1 Swiss AAA++++

acetone

Yes.. It makes no sense to clone Miyotas when the margins are so low. Unlike the Swiss ETA movements.

RUSH2112

Toro replied. Confirms these are in fact GEN which is great news. The confusion seems to stem from the fact that these (slightly?) mimic the gen movements since they are decorated and are attempting to "clone" the movement from the gen watch but are NOT clones of the fen miyota movement. Hopefully that clears it up although I almost confused myself typing this

greg_r

Miyotas have been cloned before and no doubt will be again. However, gen Miyotas are indeed finding their way into certain reps at the moment. There are even some Seiko movements about...

Jase

That's just what I was going to ask. Is there confusion over the fact the Miyotas are being 'modded with bridges etc, to mimic the gen movement of the watches they are fitted to.

I'm close to getting one of the new Aqua Terra's to steal the movement from to build a franken PO.

Thanks for the confirmation Mr Rush..

RUSH2112
Miyotas have been cloned before and no doubt will be again. However, gen Miyotas are indeed finding their way into certain reps at the moment. There are even some Seiko movements about...

I think this is great news for us. Movement issues are probably the biggest hassle we have to deal with and if we can get more reliable movements in our watches it will improve our hobby

aanival

Your money....still want to spend 450 on a watch with a 5 dollar movement?? Have at it buddy, you'll be doing PP disputes because it's not 1:1 Swiss AAA++++

Lol, not my thoughts I was talking as a factory.

NFleischer

That's just what I was going to ask. Is there confusion over the fact the Miyotas are being 'modded with bridges etc, to mimic the gen movement of the watches they are fitted to.

I'm close to getting one of the new Aqua Terra's to steal the movement from to build a franken PO.

That's a good idea, you just don't have enough POs.

1littlegreen

Lol, not my thoughts I was talking as a factory.

Ahhh.....gotcha ;) This seems to have hit quite the nerve in me (the movement issues)

If the dealers have verified the use and decoration, sure, grab them with those movements, they are very good. The rep of a rep is what got to me...

Thinking a little more on this, the DG4813 is difficult to get so it does make sense to use an available movement, the Miyota, which has the same size lingue and hands. That is why it's so easy to swap out.

I'm all better now :D Thanks guys for the Thorazine!! :rofl:

Jase

That's a good idea, you just don't have enough POs.

'Enough' is never enough ;)