Sign in to follow this  
andyboy

Bremont MB1

andyboy

I managed to borrow this watch from my Dad for a day to show to Midasmook over a coffee.Prior to handing it back to my Dad I snapped a few pics so that I could do a small review.I have taken most of the background information from their website

http://www.bremont.com/about-us

History behind Bremont

The company was founded in 2002 by brothers Nick and Giles English.In 2007 thay launched their collection and have a custom built workshop in Henley on Thames in England.

Life for Nick & Giles English changed significantly one clear day in March 1995. Nick was practicing for an air display with their father Euan. But the 1942 WWII Harvard aircraft they were flying was involved in an accident. Giles, waiting to take off for the next sortie was told that his father had been killed. His brother had broken over 30 bones and probably wouldn't make it.

Six months later, however, Nick was back in the air and being flown by Giles. But things would never be the same again. Life was too short to waste. The two brothers decided to pursue what they enjoyed most: a life crafting beautifully engineered mechanical devices.

When they weren't flying old aircraft, Nick & Giles had spent most of their childhood making things in the workshop of their gifted father - an ex-RAF pilot with a PHD in Aeronautical Engineering. Models. Restored cars. They even helped him to build an aircraft they still fly to this day. Euan was also passionate about mechanical timepieces. He would often bring home an old clock from an auction for the brothers to try and get going again.

The name Bremont

In the late 1990s, Nick & Giles were flying across France in their 1930's biplane. The weather was closing in. A rough-running engine forced them to make an emergency landing. Keen to avoid the French authorities, the brothers were more than happy to accept the gracious help of the farmer whose field they had landed in. They stayed in his home, the aircraft took cover in the barn. It transpired their host had flown aircraft during the war, as well as being a gifted engineer. Half-restored wall clocks lay everywhere, together with numerous engine parts. The farmer still even wore his own father's wristwatch. The brothers promised that his warm hospitality would never be forgotten. His name? Antoine Bremont.

The Bremont MB1

Tested and designed in conjunction with the British aviation company 'Martin-Baker'. There are two models available - the MBI and the MBII. The MBI is only available to those individuals who have ejected using an MB ejection seat and can be identified quickly by its red aluminium barrel. 

The movement is protected by an anti-magnetic Faraday cage and a specifically designed anti-shock case mount. The MB range has been designed and tested to withstand the MB ejection seat test programme.

Spec

Modified calibre 13 1/4” BE-36AE automatic chronometer, 25 jewels, glucydur balance. Anachron balance spring, Nivaflex 1 mainspring, 28,800 bph, 38 hour power reserve, Bremont moulded and skeletised decorated rotor.

Hour/minute/second, date and day at 3H.

Hardened stainless steel Trip-Tick® case construction with bi-directional rotating bezel. Case diameter 43mm, lug width 22mm. Inner soft iron anti-magnetic Faraday cage to protect movement. Protective patented anti-shock movement mount. The MBI comes with a “Martin-Baker Red” centre barrel, exclusive to this watch.

Stainless steel decorated case back, 6 stainless steel screws with polished heads.

Patented inner bi-directional Roto-Click® bezel. Operated by crown at 4H.

Metal dial. SuperLumiNova coated numerals and hands.

Domed anti-reflective, scratch resistant sapphire crystal.

Water resistant to 10 ATM, 100 metres.

C.O.S.C chronometer tested.

Calf-skin leather strap and NATO military nylon strap but not liking any of these my Dad has stuck it on a cheap s/s bracelet.

P4101215_zpsfce77e32.jpgP4101224_zpsd265ecbc.jpgP4101225_zps507bce15.jpgP4101229_zps138e5b37.jpgP4101230_zps137b0d51.jpgP4101232_zpsed35d8c5.jpgP4101238_zpsd323b1ec.jpgP4101241_zpse823b20a.jpgP4101243_zps9a448a22.jpgP4101245_zpsb2565991.jpgP4101248_zps05fe475d.jpgP4101250_zps060cd0fb.jpg

My Dad`s story

He was a Pilot with the RAF and for a time was based out in Bahrain.On the 6th of May that year he was flying a Hawker Hunter on a routine training exercise and hit a Radio mast when carrying out a Rocket attack on the Range.

He lost control of the plane and ejected over the Persian Gulf 3 miles off the coast of Dubai.It was a Martin Baker ejection seat fitted and worked a treat. :)

He left the RAF shortly after this,he set up home in Scotland and got a job as a Commercial Pilot.

45 years later the Bremont MB1 was bought with the Martin Baker company covering some of the cost.

The Caseback is engraved with my Dad`s Rank, the Type and serial number of the Plane he was flying at the time and the date he ejected.

A cool watch for a cool Dad and he will not be testing it.The most force this watch will experience is raising his Whisky glass.

01.jpg

trailboss99

Excellent review and many thanks to your father for trusting you with the watch long enough to do it for us.

PS @ Andy's dad: Lose the bracelet mate, please. Have you considered sharkmesh?

midasmook

Glad to see you put it on the leather for the pic. Have a word with him about that bracelet Andy. Great watch and great to try it on. One day I'll get my Bremont but I won't be ejecting from a plane that's too much like hard work.

reximda

Great story, and stunning watch.

Thanks!

mrtsumoto80

Fantastic stories, Bremont and your dad's.

And that is a fine watch indeed that would be very difficult to review or even see in person.

Thank you for the great reading

draggnation

Nice story. Enjoyed this piece. Watch looks better on leather.

ellistyle1

Great watch. Great words. Thanks for sharing.

greg_r

Great watch and a great story.

TheSav

Awesome read and cool watch. Love the oversized crowns

ShovelnTC

Wow great that he survived the ejection unscathed and great watch and story.

mysterio

Great story about your dad and thanks for sharing the watch pictures. :D

TheInthusiest

Awesome stuff! Great story and watch!

seclark007

Awesome story, Andy! Grab a pint for Dad on my behalf some time real soon! :beer2:

Daywatch

Very cool story, cool watch, cool Dad. Thanks for sharing - really great stuff

edwinowl

Love that post bro great stuff.. PS. Bet his dad don't give a toss about wearing it on the bracelet and nor should he. Great story.

Pickledbeetroot

I'd forgotten about this thread

:thumbsup2:

Great pics Andy :D