Sign in to follow this  
HeavyKrush

Cocktail time!!!

HeavyKrush

Just arrived yesterday, my Seiko SARB065 "Cocktail Time" and I am loving it!

Quick back story on the pick up.... I was in the market for a proper dress watch as I'm limited with just my Santos. For sure the watch had to be on black leather of gator, simple dial, no numerals, not bulky, and hopefully have a bit of a retro look. Think Don Draper style. Originally I was set on either a Longines Flagship or a Hamilton Jazzmaster. My original budget was about $800 but was swiftly extended to about $1K to cover the Longines. So during the search I kept finding shootouts between these watches and something from Seiko called a "Cocktail Time". So I just had to research that watch as well. Wow, was I surprised... not just for the price but for the look of the watch. It was perfect in about every way. So, last week I pulled the trigger on the Seiko. Here's a quick blurb on the watch poached from WUS:

"Seiko makes three versions of the "Cocktail Time", which are collaborations with the award winning bartender Mr. Ishigaki Shinobu. Each of the three designs are classified by flavor profile, like a drink. The SARB065 is the "Cool" flavor, with it's ice-blue sunburst dial. The SARB066 is "Dry" with spy-vs.spy style warped Roman numerals, white dial and yellow gold case; and the limited edition SARB068 is "Sweet" with rose-gold case and italic arabic font. Of the three, the 065 is my favorite, as I'm not a fan of the stylized numerals."

The watch is uber cool. I was afraid the 40mm case would be small but for a dress watch it really is a great size. I was also concerned about the blue thread being overwhelming and too sporty for a dress watch but it's hardly noticeable and really blends in well with the gloss black strap. The strap is really decent quality also, not too shiny like patent, more like a shoe or gloss belt finish. The deployant works well and the watch is hardly noticeable on the wrist. The dial in person is much more spectacular than I've managed to capture in the photos below and only has the slightest hit of blue. Next to a white dress shirt it's the most pronounced.

Here are the specs:

Case : SS Lug width: 20 mm

Crystal: Hardlex

Diameter: 40 mm (without the crown)

Thickness: 13.1 mm

Movement: 6R15 23J Automatic

(with Hand winding and Hack function)

Accuracy: +25/-15 sec/day

Power reserve: 50 Hour

5 ATM water resistance, See-through back

And what you're really after, the pics....

DSC_4519_zpsf22e3ae3.jpg

DSC_4521_zps9145d4cc.jpg

DSC_4520_zpsc4d6beaa.jpg

DSC_4525_zps1fd3a791.jpg

DSC_4532_zps6a986307.jpg

DSC_4527_zps8f864129.jpg

DSC_4529_zps84c8acd4.jpg

DSC_4535_zps23ea8d8f.jpg

DSC_4538_zps193cd9d7.jpg

Cheers gents!!

KarmaToBurn

Beautiful watch and shots! I've always loved that model. Congrats!

HeavyKrush

Thanks K. I purchased it during the week and it arrived from Japan yesterday. Friggin' fast shipping as well. I am so stoked about this pickup.

NFleischer

Yes that's a nice dress watch- Congrats.

I just saw an article yesterday in the Wall Street Journal about the trend back to simple, somewhat smaller watches. Let's see,

watches have gotten bigger for quite a while now.

HeavyKrush

To my 7.5" wrist 40mm seems like the perfect size for the dress category. Will definitely be keeping to this size for future buys.

onionbag

Smart as fresh paint, that.

As I'm in the market for a nice gen dress watch....this'll be a contender. :thumbsup2:

P4GTR

I just gushed about this in your RWI thread. What a beauty.

EmEye

Nice piece, a Hennessy and coke will suffice.

HeavyKrush
I just gushed about this in your RWI thread. What a beauty.
Thanks, just saw it.

jamesindallas

Thats a great looking piece, I have a nice collection of Gen & Reps however over the last 18 months I have been learning about the Seiko line and cannot wait o go to Japan and pick up a GS Model i am in ore with their style and precision

HeavyKrush
Thats a great looking piece, I have a nice collection of Gen & Reps however over the last 18 months I have been learning about the Seiko line and cannot wait o go to Japan and pick up a GS Model i am in ore with their style and precision
Thanks. Pics for sure if you pick one up mate!