Sign in to follow this  
Phizzy

Custom Strap - First Attempt

Phizzy

Hi Folks, thought I'd post up some pictures of my first proper attempt at making my own watch strap for my new PAM 111.

Looking to hear what you guys and gals think? May regret saying this but don't hold back and give it to me bluntly!!!

Next time I'll even up stitching either side of the case....

PSX_20140923_221138_zpsvq77gpmd.jpg

PSX_20140923_221345_zpshu1liawx.jpg

PSX_20140923_221454_zpsb9wgjgbt.jpg

PSX_20140923_221621_zps9z6jnpe4.jpg

And the last hole is a little out of line, and there's no keeper but I'd run out of this leather....

Anyway, let's have it.

Pure B

Do you sell it? :D

Looks good mate

Phizzy

Hi pure, not at the moment. I've really enjoyed making this one and I'd like to get much better at it and iron out all the minor issues before contemplating selling them.....also don't know how durable it is so would like to test for a few months at least.

BC1221

damn. looks great!

ive seen some tutorials on strap making but i dont think i have the right tools or the patience.

it would be pretty fun to try though. i have quite a few old belts that i think would make great straps.

looks damn good for a 1st attempt

sungod

Not bad at all.... My first ended being my last but your craftsmanship is much better. Keep at it!

Phizzy

Cheers fellas, I have some more leather on the way so watch this space!

I may let this one go if someone wants to cover the postage and write up a review and see how it fairs with some daily wear and tear?

The buckle side is a little too long so would suit someone with a larger wrist say 7,5" plus...

BC1221

Hey if you want a guinea pig, I'll gladly test it out for ya.

I have a 005 begging for a proper strap :D

I'm starting think the shitty rep asso strap is why it never gets worn.

HeavyKrush

Have a couple watches that I wear just for the strap so I get it BC. Fine first attempt mate.

N.Rico

for your first time wow ,looks very good and you must be using it with so much proud...

I have a 7.8 inches wrist size ,so i am accepting donations :giggle:

keep going mate ,good job!

BC1221
Have a couple watches that I wear just for the strap so I get it BC. Fine first attempt mate.

Yea. I got a Jackson MM right before I got in to reps.

Eventually ended up swapping out the dial for a noob 005 dial.

I thought this would have me wear it more but the strap just sucks and I haven't decided if I like the watch enough to get a good strap for it. Thought about grabbing a BOB strap. Decent strap and fairly cheap but I keep spending money on other watches to mod :D

Maybe one day I'll straighten it out or just sell it.

Cannibal

No keeper?

Strap looks good. The stitching down the sides is straight and even but the stitching across the top to close the ends isn't consistent. But this is good work.

Left Coast Guy

Great work....don't think most folks realize how hard this is to do right. I've done a couple and it is not easy to get the stitching to look straight and keep it tight. You have either found yourself an expensive hobby or a lucrative side job...

Chrisby

Nice looking strap! Damn good for your first attempt.

How long did it take you?

Phizzy

It's a time consuming process, probably 3hrs all told spread across a couple of evenings - waiting for glue to dry etc..

It's a 'folded' construction so you have to thin out the leather in places to taper the join so it's not bulky.

This one is 24mm at lugs tapering to 22mm at buckle. About 4mm thick. Long end is around 125mm and short end about 90mm so if you have small wrists the buckle will sit too far round.

All part of the learning process and will be addressed in the next one.

I'll make a keeper for it but it will be different leather as don't have any of this type left.

If you're willing to do a review and let me know how it holds up with some daily wear plus cover the postage cost (I'm in UK) then PM me and it could be yours.

Gazzla

Looks good!

narikaa

Your major problem seems to be that your stitches are straight

Panerai peeps insist on it being like a drunk dodging dogshit

;)

Chrisby
Your major problem seems to be that your stitches are straight

Panerai peeps insist on it being like a drunk dodging dogshit

;)

:rofl:

PhillyRock

Damn, that's a great looking first attempt.

I suspect that you'll be doing professional looking straps in no time at all.

Phizzy

Thanks all and noted Reg...I'll have a few more beers next time I get the needle and thread out.

narikaa

I think the modus operandi is to stab your master eye with the needle beforehand

;)

Phizzy

No volunteers to take this off my hands? Maybe I'll post up in the sale section FoC.

Seand83

That is a damn fine strap for a first time, hell its a damn fine strap for someones tenth time. Lets see what else you can do. Nice job. :thumbsup:

Cannibal

Someone snap this up to test out FFS!

I would, but I've been making my own straps for about seven years and have more straps than I know what to do with. Plus, I recently bought an industrial sewing machine and have yet to learn how to use it. While I like the idea of a hand stitched strap (and will still do them that way) the idea of having my stitching done perfectly in a few minutes (as opposed to an hour on the stitching alone) is really appealing.

Keep going with this. This is how Greg Stevens and Micah started and now it's their full time gig. (then again, they got in before the market got flooded with 'strap makers'.

BC1221

hey, i said i would gladly be your guinea pig.

:D

Phizzy

Ok BC, it's yours, just PM me your address.