Sign in to follow this  
LHOOQ

Tudor Black Bay: Gilt-on-Blue Switcheroo

LHOOQ

i-Jct6cSc-X3.jpg

As projects go, this one was pretty straightforward. It all started in July, not long after it was announced that "the factories" had tweaked their superlative Black Bay rep and created a blue version to match the one announced at Baselworld this past spring. Honestly, I've never been that interested in the Black Bay, since I saw it as a mish-mash of confused historical influences. Snowflake hands on a rose dial? And what's with that colored crown tube?

But you do grow fonder of some things over time. It helped to have tried on the gen a few times, as did seeing the rep up close during a GTG some months back. And, yes, the palette shift from burgundy to royal blue did much to change my mind. I'd had my fingers crossed for a blue Pelagos (still do), but this was the next big thing.

So there I was in mid-July, looking at QC pics that someone had posted for an upcoming delivery. They looked terrific, in my opinion, but I've long favored the blue/gilt combo on Submariners. Why, just take a look at the fantastic 5512 that ChiMan built for me so many years ago, and that I still wear regularly. I quote myself: "I would love to see the blue Black Bay with gilt hands/dial. Now who can I convince to take one in red and silver?" To which sneed12 replied, "If you're serious I'll swap with you."

Having set some funds aside for a rather pricey Fifty Fathoms, I really didn't need to spend another few hundred bucks on another rep. However, opportunities like this don't come up every day, and I really wanted to see how this thing would look! I PM'd S and let him take care of the ordering and assembly. There were several delays. First, the seller was about to send two Black Bays in the wrong colors; add a few days. Then the clasp of one of them broke, requiring sneed to drill out a link and rebuild the clasp.

At this point, the movement swap was made:

i-qPKdK7C-X3.jpg

Add a few weeks, as he had to order new drill bits, but eventually it was all done:

i-9v7NTkq-X3.jpg

Easy-peasy, I suppose!

You've all read enough about the Black Bay rep, so I won't be making a full review. I think the gilt dial/hands against the blue bezel and tube look amazing, so full marks to me and my vision! Similarly, I'm sure S is enjoying the Canadian colours on his Black Bay. I will note that the BB feels a lot bigger and much heavier than I'd expected--and that's saying something, considering how I've grown used to the heft of the Fifty Fathoms! Right now, it looks like it could be a go-anywhere, do-anything diver, but let's see if it has as much staying power on my wrist as my beloved 4-liner.

Old and new:

i-pjM9p2N-X3.jpg

i-GvVPfBk-X3.jpg

Of course, I couldn't help but see how it looks on Tropic rubber:

i-sjgcpvx-X3.jpg

Big thanks to sneed12!

UmpaHimself

Oh man, I have been dreaming of the same but on the black bezel. I thought it would look perfect like a proper guilt sub. The blue looks killer though. I wonder if you couldn't order just a spare guilt dial along with a full BB watch. Anyway, nice work man. :clap:

rusty peters

I like it. You need to nick up that bezel insert a bit. It is just begging for a light vintagizing.

Pob

That i like!

Leigh

Sorry, but I think they look much better before. Just my opinion

Pob

Agree about the red one, but the blue looks much better with gold dial. So both should have the same dial IMO

ShovelnTC

I like them both and do have both the Blue and red versions but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the original configuration so that means I'd have to end up with four BB's so I guess I'll just keep the un-modded versions.

Nice and interesting work.

Leigh

Agree about the red one, but the blue looks much better with gold dial. So both should have the same dial IMO

True,

It does give it a little something extra.

Del

Sorry mate, great write-up and enjoyable to read but I don't think the swap works. Not only are the hands/markers/etc. gold on the red BB but the dial is a dark chocolate colour too - this just doesn't sit right with the blue bezel imho and you are mixing "warm" and "cold" colours. For the same reason, I think that the red BB needs the original gold/chocolate colours too.

Having said that, I may be biased! :lol:

James.

Good idea but I much prefer the original incarnation(s) over these, look more refined and the color toner of the dial, indicies and bezel flow much better than the modified versions above. Cool idea though, try the black bezel on the red BB dial/hands, mucho gilt without some random blueness in a harshly juxtaposed

g.man

Yeah, each to their own, but these swaps don't work at all for me.

world continues to spin

g.man

Gazzla
:lol:

LHOOQ

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I knew I could count on RWG being the most opinionated out of all the rep forums! :D

This is not for everyone, obviously, but I'm surprised at how controversial a color combination blue and gold seems to be. I don't follow the warm/cold color theory critique (sorry, Del) and this scheme is far more subdued than, say, a Rolex 16613. Heck, the bezel looks black under most interior lights. But, de gustibus non est disputandum and all that!

gB.

Looking good

Helldiver

This Tudor BB model really shines in all color combos!

Gacko

Even tho i do agree about cold/warm colours and still some how find it beautiful, i certainly wish for a black bezel black bay with vintage dial.

LHOOQ
Even tho i do agree about cold/warm colours and still some how find it beautiful...

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but what warm/cold color "rule" is being broken here? Complementary colors, anyone?

BC1221

its really getting to a point that i need one of these BBs.

im not a tudor guy but these watches are stunning.

Burnleybezel

Not for me either, I appreciate your hard work but the original combo for me.

Gacko
Even tho i do agree about cold/warm colours and still some how find it beautiful...

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but what warm/cold color "rule" is being broken here? Complementary colors, anyone?

dunno, just doesn't feel right, blue and "gold"ish never did quite good together :)