Sign in to follow this  
PolonusTM

U-BOAT Chimera 46 Chrono review

PolonusTM

Some stuff gathered from various sources:

Italo Fontana gained an unreal success, realizing ideas of his grandfather Ivo Fontana. That is why the company U-Boat can be considered as a family business. The family business of Fontana that years was design of cloths. Once, Italo started to learn documents from his grandfather archive. Among it there were documents of 1942 with developing of wristwatches for Italian Navy. After that he couldn't think about anything but that.

Few years past and Italo developed design of watch. That time the fate brings him to Munir Muffarige (the managing director of French fashion wrought Ungaro), who suggested Italo to set new private label for watches and introduce new watch collection on the world market. As known, Italo Fontana is a fan of activities. He adores a sea and everything which relate to it. Yachts are one of his main interests. May be that is why Italo called his watches like names of submarines, produced during Second World War.

Watches are being produced in short series which makes every watch production batch - limited collection item. Suddenly, out of the blue - we have great rep of one of iconic U-BOAT watches - Chimera 46 Side View in stainless steel, limited edition of 300 pieces worldwide.

This watch appeared in 2011 catalogue of this brand (access: http://www.u-boat.at/Uboat_2011.pdf ). Funny thing it appeared in 2012, too (access: http://www.u-boat.at/Uboat_2012.pdf ) - problems with sale..? images/smilies/WinkSmiley.png

You can read about its specifications in the catalogue:

MOVEMENT: automatic mechanical chronograph personalized to U-Boat specifications for date display and stem to be positioned at 9 o’clock.

Frequency: 28.800 vibrations per hour, 4 Hz.

Power reserve: 44 hours. 25 jewels. Height: 7 mm.

FUNCTIONS: hours, minutes, chronograph, counter small seconds at 3, counter 12 at 12, counter 30 minutes at 6. Date window at 9 o’clock.

CASE: AISI 316 Plus stainless steel 46 mm diameter, 54,50 mm diameter including external crown-clutter.

The bezel and the back of the case are locked together by external tubing and a customized key that ensures absolute water-proofing.

Personalized rotor, in silver, build with a base and 3 bridges fixed with blued screws. Thickness: 17 mm. Weight: 200 gr approx.

CRYSTAL: sapphire curved glass on the face and flat on the back of the timepiece.

DIAL: two superimposed dials, hour and minute indexes treated with superluminova.

WATER RESISTANCE: 100 m, 10 ATM.

STRAP: hand made and hand finished alligator, black, 3 circular cuts out. Width: 20/20 mm.

Tongue steel buckle, hypoallergenic and color retain treatment.

You can still download official U-Boat leaflet for this watch: http://www.uboatwatc..._modello_en.pdf

Now to the replication - I got this watch from Joshua/PC but it is available everywhere (all TD carry them I suppose).

CNC machining, details taken care of, overall feel etc. - judging by the quality no one should even blink if told it is “top class Noob creation” with price set $100 higher. It doesn’t come from Noob - it was our TD ToroBravo sacrificing his genuine Chimera to make this replication in cooperation with some unnamed (yet) maker. There is no feel they cut corners somewhere, even “limited edition” plate is engraved (not just printed), balance weight looks and shines like silver. This thing IS QUALITY, believe me.

When comparing with gen photos available online, it is easy to observe that the gen has small variations, too. Probably because it was offered for more than one year (I found it twice in company’s catalogs) so they did not produced whole batch in one go.

Differences in gen are:

- different typeface/color for “U-BOAT” label on the rotor: colorless (probably prototype) and two black, where bolder one is rarer and our rep is consistent with that latter one.

- different screw mounting of the rotor

So, what are differences when comparing between rep and gen? Small ones, really:

- difference in pearlage effect on movement top bridge - the rep has it as parallel stripes while gen has it circular. Anyway guys, it is a movement, we do not want it to be altered too much (all the bad experiences with Panerai decoration plates and so on….)

- the upper “hours” subdial has edge painted in different way than gen. Actually the way they painted this subdial in rep is more tricky than in gen. Anyway, not a big deal, really.

- strap is not a croco one, which is obvious on this price level. Anyway, quite a solid feel, not too short calf strap, like $30 on ebay so definitely to be used, not just to be thrown out as a first step after unpacking the watch images/smilies/WinkSmiley.png

Overall thoughts

Since the watch is so well replicated - all conclusion are probably very the same for gen:

- the Fontana’s idea to put all crown, pushers etc. on the left side of watch works well - nothing disturbs your wrist at all. U-boats are not first in having controls on the left but it is better designed than i.e. in Graham Chronofighter, where chrono lever is sharp and it is easy to destroy some parts of your clothes.

- this is the watch which looks much better on a wrist than unworn. For most of watches it is the other way - like someone designed them “without wrist” on mind - they tend to look better in box or on some fancy photos than on Your wrist. This was definitely designed with a wrist on designer’s mind.

Little warning - pay attention to Your QC photos - the first I rejected has chrono hands not resetting to zero position. When received, try to locate any loose bolts (I had two loose out of five). But this warning is actually valid for any rep…

Now onto photos:

chim_01_zpsc49d2276.jpg

chim_02_zpsf7c0ade5.jpg

The AR is probably double side or very solid single side one. Anyway, with such big white hands and numbers - it is very easy to read watch despite any optical problems:

chim_03_zps94e7c44e.jpg

Some side look at the infamous edge-printing. I do not know how they did it - print then cut or other way?

chim_04_zpsf47fe1e5.jpg

chim_12_zps07dafbb7.jpg

Despite crazy look, it is a bit rare but still a standard square key size S0 (S-zero):

chim_05_zpsed680b26.jpg

U-BOAT print and “silver” weight:

chim_06_zps04a68b22.jpg

Some more eye candies:

chim_07_zps66f1ad33.jpg

chim_08_zpsb4ba5264.jpg

chim_09_zps9e915f18.jpg

Back side:

chim_10_zpsb3582e37.jpg

chim_11_zps1a55792a.jpg

Crown details:

chim_13_zps10c4227c.jpg

chim_14_zps67408ab7.jpg

chim_15_zps4c7f40f8.jpg

chim_17_zpsd64bb513.jpg

Shape of reset button:

chim_16_zps34560671.jpg

Limited edition plate:

chim_18_zps9904c49d.jpg

Probably 1 mm hex key…:

chim_19_zps7d1fa592.jpg

…continuing with candies:

chim_20_zpsc8e02c5a.jpg

chim_21_zps88ee7b7e.jpg

chim_22_zps7f4b4cdb.jpg

chim_23_zpsdb2528f3.jpg

My verdict: GO AND ORDER ONE! Especially if You’re after bigger watches. …and want i.e. bronze version of this watch in the future - we need to show support for a maker.

Edited by PolonusTM

Duzza

Good review, thanks. I just don't think there's much love for this watch on here.

PolonusTM

Good review, thanks. I just don't think there's much love for this watch on here.

You're probably right about lack of love for this watch, since it is U-BOAT so rather "fashion watch" than "real watch" from reputable manufacturer. I think it will change in let's say - a decade, when U-BOAT can choose similar path to Hublot - from regular ETA to in-house. There is probably no other way to establish new watch brand these days...

Edited by PolonusTM

mosa786

Which dealer did you get this from? Great pictures.

wayne33

love the U boat collection got a real class to it

emtp101

Very nice, I have always liked U Boat. My first rep was U Boat. Great post.

deju

It has been the most popular uboat ever according to Toro, amazed we don't see more love as its a seriously awesome watch.

Everyone should grab the chance to add it to their collections! Get away from the humdrum norm lol

This is my most expensive watch, in it for over $790 so far... :ninja:

Jitendra

Hello Everyone

Need help desperately !

I would be grateful if someone could let me know where I can buy the U-Boat Limited Edition Chimera U-51 Watch 6495 Of good quality? I know it is difficult to define ‘Good Quality’ but the experiences of the members would be very helpful !

Many thanks indeed !!

Regards

J

wayne33

Hello Everyone

Need help desperately !

I would be grateful if someone could let me know where I can buy the U-Boat Limited Edition Chimera U-51 Watch 6495 Of good quality? I know it is difficult to define ‘Good Quality’ but the experiences of the members would be very helpful !

Many thanks indeed !!

Regards

J

tswatch has one $398 I've just ordered a u boat from them

chrish8

This is a sick watch I really like the Uboats this one is going to be added to my buy list for sure.

cubicle_monkey

How big is your wrist? The watch looks like it wears like a Pam..

Ishmael

Call me crazy....... but I like it.

chrish8

How big is your wrist? The watch looks like it wears like a Pam..

From my experience Uboats are bigger then Pams, and wear big as well but if you have a 8+ wrist it will be fine.

Here is a pic of the Uboat next to a pam black seal.

P1020042_zps51fddd4a.jpg

Daywatch

Waiting for the bronze version of this watch:) Thanks for the nice review and lots of super-pics to get a good idea. This is really well made.

Rolls-Man

Which TD did you get this from?

dfq23

He says where he got it in his post

BadPickle

He says where he got it in his post

:lol:

dfq23

ab9d8902303a0470f2eb3d37b0b90975c9f0875e7e1775fcde366d7e85a1294e_zpsf6kquntg.jpg

BadPickle

ab9d8902303a0470f2eb3d37b0b90975c9f0875e7e1775fcde366d7e85a1294e_zpsf6kquntg.jpg

:lmao2:

usanasl

I just rcvd mine, and I love it. It's absolutely gorgeous. One thing I noticed is that the "U BOAT" is printed on the screw on crown protector, and not engraved like my other uboat reps. Is the gen Chimera printed or engraved?

Also, my chrono hand resets a little past the top marker. Hardly noticeable.

Rolls-Man

:lmao2:

I see that you're still not over me yet. You're my #1 fan.

Who is the TD Joshua? I know TD but I do not know some names.

chrish8

Who is the TD Joshua? I know TD but I do not know some names.

Ummm reading the review properly he says "I got this watch from Joshua/PC but it is available everywhere (all TD carry them I suppose)." Looking at the TD list I can only think/see 1 TD that would come close to having PC in their name.

BC1221

i really want one of these but the 7750s still scare me...

i wish there was a non-chrono version of this or they would make a good U1001 rep.

always loved UBoats

markeym3

Love this newbee U-bee ,, a solid piece of watch there ,, great write up ,,

I had a U1001 ,, really nice rep , from Watch international...

sorry not thread crapping ...

20120816_183745.jpg

20120816_183804.jpg

20120816_183817.jpg

leebob

Really really love this review, exactly what I have been looking for, I love the u boat range and have been looking for a top rep of one of there limited watches, I would love one,

Great review, I offer my support to this TD