mysterio

Review of the KW PAM 438 "Tuttonero"

mysterio

As I first posted about the Tuttonero at the beginning of the year, I feel some sort of deja vu posting a review of the much awaited second version 10 month down the line. Much to our amazement, it was not a mere upgrade to a DLCed Titanium case, which was as much as to be expected at the time, since after the PAM292J Super rep in full ceramic case, there were no more ceramic PAMs that followed, but a full ceramic case, and not just one rep but two with the simultaneous release of the PAM441 (which Polonus already covered in his short review here . To add fuel to the excitement, the PAM438 Tuttonero marks the release of the first ever bracelet made of the same ceramic material as the watch head.

The watch is from Kuvarsit, and I bought the watch straight from kuvarsit themselves. Kudos to Amanda and the kuvarsit team for getting the watch shipped to my friend in time, it was literally a midnight shipment. smile.png This review would not be possible without their service, above and beyond the call of duty. ;)

So let's get down to brass tacks (or ceramic tacks in this case).

CASE CONSTRUCTION:

In terms of the ceramic construction, Polonus posted a very interesting link from Risti about how ceramic PAMs are made (fascinating as to the difference between making a Luminor and a Radiomir ceramic case). The case does feel different from the stainless steel and the PVD/DLCed cases used in PAMs such as the PAM332, PAM360 and the PAM026. The bracelet material does not differ one bit from the case, so it lends to a very uniform looking watch. As the case for the PAM438 is the same as that of the PAM441, I will not repeat the items touched on by Polonus. I will however, review other aspects of the watch if it was not described there or if it is different in the PAM438 Tuttonero.

CANNON PINION:

However, even though it was touched upon in Polonus' review, I will make the first exception and describe the CP. lol1.gif

lTr2aCk.jpg

EbnJmOa.jpg

Unfortunately it is not flush with the hands. It is sunken. However, like the PAM441, the CP is not a glaring issue and certainly not perceptible from an arm's distance. It will only be obvious to those who know about it and look for it.

LUG BARS:

One thing I noticed about the case is that it employs slightly shorter lug screws.

eAwzQHA.jpg

Close inspection shows how short it is.

jQ0JzXQ.jpg

This is because the case copies the look of the gen which shows the other side of the lugs as flat like so.

tQLI1g5.jpg

The lug bars are also not shiny like others but are more of a matte finish, I am not sure whether it is made of titanium or is merely brushed to be uniform with the other non-ceramic parts of the watch, which is a nice touch.

PAM438 lug bar at the top, regular lug bar at the bottom.

Sd3jBDF.jpg

BRACELET:

We now come to the bracelet. It is supposedly made of ceramic with a titanium butterfly deployant clasp.

m8v7i8d.jpg

I have no means to validate this claim but I believe that it is so. The way the bracelet links sound when they come into contact with each other sounds like smooth rocks hitting each other, which is as close as I can describe it. (Get some smooth stones and play with them in your palm, they sound similar).

Ceramic is supposed to be scratch proof, which was curiously demonstrated by a discovery when I removed the bracelet from the watch.

Scratches (OMG!) ?

XXlzZn6.jpg

Turns out it was caused by the clasp touching the bracelet. The weaker material will leave a mark, therefore the clasp will rub off on the bracelet.

2gjxWYh.jpg

Found these marks on the other side of the bracelet. Scratch galore (OMG again!)?

jp2iygp.jpg

A quick wipe with the microfiber cloth and viola! Clean as a whistle. WinkSmiley.png

ILFp89P.jpg

So is it ceramic? I am inclined to believe it is so. Not totally by the way, the part that latches on to the ceramic case is most likely made of PVDed steel (top part in the picture) bonded to the ceramic end link (the bottom part in the picture).

x0llx2a.jpg

CASEBACK ENGRAVINGS (as they are different from that on the PAM441):

F6xRA9L.jpg

No CERAIMC there. :P

IW8mU3g.jpg

OP text clear and legible.

8fDns8H.jpg

OP logo also crisp.

kG9Lnzg.jpg

OP and BB text.

ENHOGFM.jpg

TUTTONERO text is clear (my lens is causing the text not to be uniform in crispness).

DbnfNc2.jpg

Rotor text. It looks to be raised on the gen rotor as well so this is a nice touch. I love how the silver is raised against the black rotor.

MOVEMENT:

sfEJj50.jpg

Photo of the whole movement. I've checked the images of the gen and aside from the rotated nature of the text (because of the location of the balance wheel @11 instead of @7 on the gen), the placement is spot on.

cfBX2kE.jpg

Comparison of the movement with that on another KW release of late, the PAM382 V3.

LUME:

Now how about the lume? Well, it is also bright, same as the KW PAM382 V3 I've reviewed before. Some shots (these aren't in relative darkness like the PAM382 review so they aren't as bright). Exposed the lume to the LED flash on my phone for 5 seconds for each number on the dial and the hands.

Lqwjxru.jpg

After one minute

FWEnQle.jpg

After another two minutes (total 3 minutes after exposure)

efLx8OE.jpg

Some wrist shots:

Z3CKQzh.jpg

BpTzywm.jpg

I hope you find the review entertaining and helpful towards an informed purchase. Thank you for reading! smile.png

UPDATE:

Oh I almost forgot. How do you resize the bracelet? Well, unless you're very handy with a small hammer and pin tool, which I am not, I suggest you bring it to a watchsmith, which I did. laugh.gif The locking mechanism is composed of two parts, a long black pin which runs through the width of the link, and a short stainless steel sleeve which fits in the middle part of the link. The black pin is force fitted through the middle ss sleeve and thus holds the links in place. To remove the pin, you must hammer a pin of the same or slightly smaller diameter to move the pin out, then pull the rest of the pin with some pliers. I've arranged the parts in the right side of the picture below. The left side shows the pin almost inserted completely through the link.

jN77Efk.jpg?1

Edited by mysterio

JPS83

Thanks for this..Im sold. I need this in my life

lperdido

Nice review and great photos. This is my next "must get".

rogdog

congratulations on your 438 ! I hope to order mine soon. Kuvarsit has done a great job as always

machiavegli

ALE? Pls weigh in I want this!!!!

-Mach

P.S. Excellent review & In particular great research & photography, Mysterio... A very sought after rep. Well done, sir.

xlc

Thanks for this review! Good to know they fixed the 29/Twenty eight issue.

UmpaHimself

Looks amazing. That cannon pinion though. I assume they'll fix it very soon.

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

Another masterful mysterio review......Thank you very much ..

Should have my QC's today and so glad I ordered...

ALE7575

Thanks mysterio for this nice review

From this review, the review by Polonus o PAM 441 ceramic ( http://www.replica-w...ad.php?t=200104 ) and several QC pics, this watch KW PAM 438 is an awesome replica. Maybe one of the best case-sets ever made in rep world.

Case, bezel, CG,, lever, Caseback... they are impressive. Colour and texture just like gen and finish and appearance are really good. Just to see the lug contours, almost perfect !

Bracelet is made exactly with the same colour and texture as the case-set, that is very important because gen seems completely the same and very uniform. This is a nice feature of this watch.

Dial is accurate with no thicker markers and lume very gen-like (colour and appearance not power)

Last improved movement is accurate enough and silver inscriptions on rotor are nicely raised

One of the best reps of this year

Oh. I had forgotten the CP... well... as I said ... I had forgotten it ! .

ALE

Edited by ALE7575

plankton

Awesome review Mysterio! I do not have this watch as of yet and after this review it will now be on my list.

Thanks for the excellent work!

skullsealer1

Seems like this might qualify for super rep status, apart from the rotated movement

Pseudonym
Seems like this might qualify for super rep status, apart from the rotated movement

Which is why it cannot be classed as a super rep. Likely "very High grade rep bordering super rep" based on the excellence of everything else. A tad unfair but you have to consider the category criteria.

:thumbsup:

TheSav

Great review. I'm. It a fan of this one but can appreciate the quality.

mysterio

Which is why it cannot be classed as a super rep. Likely "very High grade rep bordering super rep" based on the excellence of everything else. A tad unfair but you have to consider the category criteria.

True. So if the PAM508 that's coming down the line will be just as great in construction, since the movement is not visible, it can qualify as a Super Rep. :)

ALE7575

True. So if the PAM508 that's coming down the line will be just as great in construction, since the movement is not visible, it can qualify as a Super Rep. :)

Exactly !!

ALE

AstroAvia

Great watch, but it desperately needs an AR crystal, don't you think?

mysterio

Great watch, but it desperately needs an AR crystal, don't you think?

Gen seems to need the same.

3j8foWR.png

ronald1980

Just received mine and its exceeded my expectations, excellent watch.

legendgary

Noob here. Is this watch still available through site?

norrie

Yes. Contact a trusted dealer. Most if not all can get it for you.

henrychinaski

I'd love to know how this watch is holding up after a few months? How is the ceramic? I'm looking to purchase after CNY I think..;)

ag69

I'd love to know how this watch is holding up after a few months? How is the ceramic? I'm looking to purchase after CNY I think.. ;)

I second this motion!!

ALE7575

I'd love to know how this watch is holding up after a few months? How is the ceramic? I'm looking to purchase after CNY I think.. ;)

Just like a gen ceramic

No worries

ALE

chenzomg

Has anyone with this watch had issues with the end links of the bracelet falling off? Over on RWI a thread suggests this has happened a few times due to poor quality glue used. It's made me slightly wary of placing an order.

mysterio

Has anyone with this watch had issues with the end links of the bracelet falling off? Over on RWI a thread suggests this has happened a few times due to poor quality glue used. It's made me slightly wary of placing an order.

Well, mine's still intact. :)