Sign in to follow this  
MetalMickey

So I bought a gen... Warning - TAG Heuer content

MetalMickey

Well, what a journey. I initially joined the rep world after years of collecting not to buy a Submariner, like everyone else, but in order to decide which high end gen watch to save up and buy for my 40th (which is in 3 years' time).

I had my shortlist down the the Tudor Black Bay, Tudor Pelagos or maybe, at a stretch, a Ceramic Submariner. And I started collecting reps of those, and a few others that caught my fancy.

Then, out of the blue, I picked up from M2M a rep of the new TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500m ceramic, on rubber. It was love at first sight, as it had a mix of the features I liked from the Pelagos (500m, bigger case), Black Bay (classy look, not a Rolex), and Submariner (black ceramic bezel). It also seems to avoid all the downsides of the three candidates (Pelagos titanium is a bit light, the Black Bay is a bit fussy with gold dial and silver pearl) and the Rolex has the cyclops. Best of all, these things are currently on sale at Beaverbrooks for the same price as the ordinary 300m Aquaracer.

So I sold off most of my reps, and most of my gens, and dropped my savings on this beast...

154A6CDD-ACD4-4BD4-B05F-9A72ED830BFA.jpg

0018FEE6-A674-4066-90F4-5D8589ECF7BE.jpg

My first thoughts are...

* The bracelet end links were a bit stiff at first, the bracelet on my (rep) Black Bay feels more expensive. I expect it to wear in soon.

* Trying to adjust a TAG collar and pin bracelet yourself to save a trip into town is false economy. Removing links is a major pain in the arse.

* Gens have lume!

But the overriding thought is this - the rep of this watch is very, very, very good. I mean almost indistinguishable. I have already sold my rep on, but the following differences are all I can see having handled both:

* The HEV works and you can see it is not just stuck on. It does not appear to unscrew on the gen.

* Bezel numbers are slightly better defined and silver paint is a bit sparklier

* The very ends of the bar details on the dial look slightly better finished

* The Pearl is very slightly recessed on the gen, slightly pronounced on the rep

* The gen lume is better and more natural looking

Rep:

DDA454C6-4603-4AD4-AFB0-DF71F5C31E2D.jpg

Gen

D0979EC5-2F2A-4BC7-BD99-60B15C3E01EC.jpg

greg_r

Enjoy! :D

MetalMickey

Thanks Greg! Now to save for that blue bezel Black Bay...

RichardMiami

Wear it in good health Mickey!

Now start the cycle all over again! :D

Pseudonym

Lovely watch mate.

Congrats!

Genius

Looks very very nice!

I have a gen aquaracer but its the old one.. And Quartz... And not ceramic.. the new ones are soooo much better

MetalMickey

Looks very very nice!

I have a gen aquaracer but its the old one.. And Quartz... And not ceramic.. the new ones are soooo much better

Like this one? Me too!

D46ECCF5-4552-470A-A8C6-A6668D736FF7.jpg

Jonnybaws

Congrats on the pickup, great looking watch!!

Genius

Looks very very nice!

Like this one? Me too!

D46ECCF5-4552-470A-A8C6-A6668D736FF7.jpg

I think it's slightly newer than that one although with all the abuse it has had it looks older

DSC_0021_zpsmebapx50.jpg

Pob

Very nice, congrats ;)

HWG
:clap: great looking piece! Enjoy it!

plankton

Well, what a journey. I initially joined the rep world after years of collecting not to buy a Submariner, like everyone else, but in order to decide which high end gen watch to save up and buy for my 40th (which is in 3 years' time).

I had my shortlist down the the Tudor Black Bay, Tudor Pelagos or maybe, at a stretch, a Ceramic Submariner. And I started collecting reps of those, and a few others that caught my fancy.

Then, out of the blue, I picked up from M2M a rep of the new TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500m ceramic, on rubber. It was love at first sight, as it had a mix of the features I liked from the Pelagos (500m, bigger case), Black Bay (classy look, not a Rolex), and Submariner (black ceramic bezel). It also seems to avoid all the downsides of the three candidates (Pelagos titanium is a bit light, the Black Bay is a bit fussy with gold dial and silver pearl) and the Rolex has the cyclops. Best of all, these things are currently on sale at Beaverbrooks for the same price as the ordinary 300m Aquaracer.

So I sold off most of my reps, and most of my gens, and dropped my savings on this beast...

154A6CDD-ACD4-4BD4-B05F-9A72ED830BFA.jpg

0018FEE6-A674-4066-90F4-5D8589ECF7BE.jpg

My first thoughts are...

* The bracelet end links were a bit stiff at first, the bracelet on my (rep) Black Bay feels more expensive. I expect it to wear in soon.

* Trying to adjust a TAG collar and pin bracelet yourself to save a trip into town is false economy. Removing links is a major pain in the arse.

* Gens have lume!

But the overriding thought is this - the rep of this watch is very, very, very good. I mean almost indistinguishable. I have already sold my rep on, but the following differences are all I can see having handled both:

* The HEV works and you can see it is not just stuck on. It does not appear to unscrew on the gen.

* Bezel numbers are slightly better defined and silver paint is a bit sparklier

* The very ends of the bar details on the dial look slightly better finished

* The Pearl is very slightly recessed on the gen, slightly pronounced on the rep

* The gen lume is better and more natural looking

Rep:

DDA454C6-4603-4AD4-AFB0-DF71F5C31E2D.jpg

Gen

D0979EC5-2F2A-4BC7-BD99-60B15C3E01EC.jpg

Congratulations to you!! what a nice watch you have, and the longevity with accuracy will be there for eons... The finish is incredible I'd bet (from AR to all the markers and all the stuff between).

I am very happy for you.

baxter

That's a really nice classy looking piece right there mate, nothing to dislike and everything to like .... great buy - enjoy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pfcdre

nice pick up mate. my aquagraph says hi and congrats, damn fine dive watches.

20140203_183047.jpg

SSTEEL

Nothing wrong with Tag Heuer mate, I'm a self confessed TH enthusiast :)

What a journey, and you arrived with a stunner Mickey :D

conx

Very nice :thumbsup:

MetalMickey

Lume is almost as good as a Seiko.

cdc4843aa6d6a23d5361cb9d5a3ff82a.jpg

n18lld

Very nice. One of the few gens I'd consider.

Gazzla

Well done mate. Enjoy!

Paparolf

Always great to buy something you really want. Congrats on a cracking looking watch mate.

Hornet

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Congratulations!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It looks a real beauty and I have to say that I'm getting a bit of a thing for Tags at the moment.....!

UmpaHimself

Love the bezel and the stand alone pearl (no triangle). Reminds me of the new Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial. Congrats!

Icemix69

Rep pics will be uploaded later, so we can all see how great the rep really is

Mwhitetx

Love this watch. Great pick up!

Not That Rich

Very nice Mickey :thumbsup2: