Sign in to follow this  
elmerlo

The costs of owning a Gen

elmerlo

Went to the Omega AD today to see the PO 42mm. Nice piece (*).

I asked him about costs, not only related to the purchase.

It goes as follows:

List price: 5000 €, discounted 4000 €. And you have the watch.

Every three/four years it has to be checked and serviced. Currently Omega charges 550 € for this: "but, who knows in three-four years' time?" he said. "It's subject to raises, especially if the Swiss Franc goes up".

"And if you have a problem outside the warranty period?" I asked. Answer: "from my experience the cost of repairs never goes below 350-400 €".

Thanks for the information. Goodbye. :)

(*) As soon as MR is back from holidays, I will get one.

fetasigma

thats assuming you service it like it should be done. I usually dont take any of my gens in for service unless they need it, and then almost never take it to an authorized dealer. Same service at a non authorized shop is usually less than half the price

Edited by fetasigma

RichardMiami

Wrong on several counts.

1. Why pay list price for the watch? Almost ALL ADs will discount when pushed. It is the brand boutiques that will not negotiate. Gen watches can be bought from dealers, from the web, etc. at large discounts.

2. Why pay for service like that? Most of my watches are bought with three year unlimited warranties included. That means at 35 months after purchase, they go in for FREE service.

3. Why service every three or four years? If it ain't broke.. don't fix it. Set a minimum time that you are comfortable with (7 years? 10?) and go for it.

There are plenty of reasons to buy gens or to buy reps, but I would tell this dealer to take a hike.

HWG

Wrong on several counts.

1. Why pay list price for the watch? Almost ALL ADs will discount when pushed. It is the brand boutiques that will not negotiate. Gen watches can be bought from dealers, from the web, etc. at large discounts.

2. Why pay for service like that? Most of my watches are bought with three year unlimited warranties included. That means at 35 months after purchase, they go in for FREE service.

3. Why service every three or four years? If it ain't broke.. don't fix it. Set a minimum time that you are comfortable with (7 years? 10?) and go for it.

There are plenty of reasons to buy gens or to buy reps, but I would tell this dealer to take a hike.

Agreed 100%

elmerlo

Wrong on several counts.

I am with you on this. The point of my post is this: why this AD went for such a suicidal approach? Anyone with a minimum knowledge of watches, smells crap a mile away from those words.

My guess is that he is used to deal with stupids. At one point he told me that Omega claims their new movements have an accuracy of "4-6 seconds per MONTH". But he had yet to test it...

zh243

I own a Pam243 wich i bought 4 years ago by a big AD in zurich. Switzerland.

I was there to buy a new rubber strap. Since i never made a service, iasked him if its maybe the right time to do it.

He send me home and told me to come back when something is wrong with the pam

Nice guy i thought!!

Genius

It really depends on the movement in your gen, a lot of the lower end gens (sub 5k) have the same movements or versions of the movements used in reps. So servicing isn't really that much difference cost wise, its just replacement parts that are more expensive, but as they are not put together in illegal workshops, with a haze of chinese pubes in the air, then they are much less likely to need a service

hnic
Wrong on several counts.

this!!

Lord Flashheart

Having a glimpse into the world of ordinary people never stops being fascinating. I never realised you people have so many things to consider because you are of limited means.

kimolaoha

Back when i was young and foolish (2007), I bought a Gen Rolex DateJust 16200 with a gorgeous Rhodium dial, Roman Numerals and Solid 'no-lume' hands. I think the original warranty was for one year.

It just kept ticking, so i never had it serviced.

(For reference, a 1968 Tudor Rose US Navy Seal-issued 'Submariner' that my father was issued and gave to me has never been serviced and is perhaps the most accurate watch in my collection.)

Three weeks ago, probably due to contamination from reps in the near vicinity, the DateJust stopped running. No incantation or physical maneuver would get it chugging again. So I called my trusty AD with two questions:

1) How much to fix it? and

2) Since the Rhodium dial was difficult to see when I was young and foolish, and now impossible to see since I've become old and stupid, how much is it gonna cost me to get a simple dial change to a nice white with Romans (I have too many blacks) - same as what i have except in white vs. Rhodium.

Answers:

1) $650 for full service which includes stripping it all the way down and putting it back together - 2 year warranty

2) $600 for the dial (I forfeit my original Rhodium dial) and $100 for the new hands

New hands? I ask

Them: Yes, because Rolex will not allow no-lume hands on a lumed dial.

Me: But the White dial with Romans - exactly the same as i have except in white - has no lume.

Them: Oh, Rolex will not allow that dial. Only replacement is the stick dial with lume, which means the hands have to be replaced too.

Me: Lucky I can't see the dial anyway, cause that will make it much less noticeable that the damn things not running.

Perspective: I recently purchased the Gen Seiko Orange Monster (2nd generation) that Ashford was blowing out for $138. I have a 1st generation and it's bulletproof.

For the price of my Rolex repair and dial change, I could have bought TEN of the new OMs.

This is but one of the reasons I'm here.

Cannibal

My buddy is a watchmaker and is certified by Omega to repair their watches (he repairs every brand imaginable, except for reps because as he says 'fake watch = fake person, lol - he doesn't know I have reps ;) ).

In any event, he charges about CDN$200 a service plus parts. Chrono movements are around $400 a service plus parts as needed.

Anyone who services a watch through an authorized service center OUTside of warranty has more money than brains, IMO. Quite often the ASCs do shoddy work and you have no clue as to who worked on your watch... plus... with an indie, you know who's working on your watch, can talk to him/her, build a relationship with them and get your watches back waaaay faster than going through an ASC, which can take months.

RichardMiami
Having a glimpse into the world of ordinary people never stops being fascinating. I never realised you people have so many things to consider because you are of limited means.

eyjeyeeyj.jpg

oh, wait... we already did that.................................. :P

RichardMiami
Back when i was young and foolish (2007), I bought a Gen Rolex DateJust 16200 with a gorgeous Rhodium dial, So I called my UNtrusty AD with two questions:

fixed for ya. Take it to an independent watchsmith!

elmerlo

This is but one of the reasons I'm here.

Nice story! especially for a proud Seiko Monster owner like me :)

Left Coast Guy

I will say my experience with gen ADs hasn't been that dissimilar from what the OP mentioned....partly because I was noob-ish, but still.

See the thing is, I'll take my german car to a 3rd party repair shop to fix, but something about spending that much money on a watch, I was scared to just hand it off to some independent repair guy. I mean how do you know they are good? That they won't take my watch and swap it out with a fake (edit: my concern at the time), etc? So that's the rub with the ADs, its such a big chunk of cash, they have you afraid to take it elsewhere.

And then once they do have your watch, the pricing is ridiculous. After a good amount of time, the bezel assembly on my Breitling became loose, so I took it to the AD and was quoted $850 to fix. They refused to give me an itemized quote, but I looked online and found the bezel spring (all I really needed) listed for $40.

Daywatch

The swiss watch-industry, specially the Richemont-group recognized this problem very well: - now just wait 10 years until all newly hyped "in-house-movements" will need servicing.

When You have a reliable watchsmith it´s fine to go there, for the other 90% it´s too big a risk to put Your 10k watch in the hands of a curious guy, plus this depends a lot on the country You live in as well; Not only the price, the turnaround time of approx. 6 months is a major drawback. And when it´s not been serviced for 12 Years, isn´t running and You still go to the AD they will charge more than the standard cost - always. What about the heirloom 35 Years old Patek?

Omega: wanted to change the waterproof seals only after 10 years of scuba diving, not possible without a full service of 650 eur plus parts needed (if needed once it was in Switzerland).

Apart from being lost or stolen, gens also get banged into walls or doors, they drop or the crown was not well screwed in before hitting water - than it will cost a lot more than the standard service.

MetalMickey

I used to throw watches away when the battery ran out, these figures scare me. I have a gen TAG but it has an Eta 2824 so can be serviced anywhere and will be done when it needs it and not at the recommended internals. Plus, as above, I have a warranty. Could still get a rep for the price of the service and look at something different on my wrist, which I won't be scared to bang into something so I am sticking with reps too.

Realism

i just steal my gens from the dealer - that way... i can throw them away once they break down

two_criminals_at_case_5.jpg

Genius
i just steal my gens from the dealer - that way... i can throw them away once they break down

two_criminals_at_case_5.jpg

You are doing it wrong, sell the parts on repgeek for franken projects

Seand83

Wrong on several counts.

^^What he said.

chrish8

Wrong on several counts.

1. ......... Gen watches can be bought from dealers, from the web, etc. at large discounts.

2. .................. Most of my watches are bought with three year unlimited warranties included. That means at 35 months after purchase, they go in for FREE service.

Rich are you talking about World of Watches and/or Authentic Watches? I had no idea I could send it back to them under the "warranty" for service -stupid me . I always thought it was only if the watch failed CRAP!!!! - stupid me.

RichardMiami

Wrong on several counts.

1. ......... Gen watches can be bought from dealers, from the web, etc. at large discounts.

2. .................. Most of my watches are bought with three year unlimited warranties included. That means at 35 months after purchase, they go in for FREE service.

Rich are you talking about World of Watches and/or Authentic Watches? I had no idea I could send it back to them under the "warranty" for service -stupid me . I always thought it was only if the watch failed CRAP!!!! - stupid me.

I haven't done business with them, but I did have JomaShop repair a watch for me. They were fast, responsive and perfect. And, they paid for shipping both ways.

RichardMiami

and as far as reasonable ADs are concerned, Tourneau will bargain, will bundle warranties AND will take a watch back for full service just before the warranty expires, no questions asked.

Four of my watches were bought from Tourneau for those reasons.

[/commercial]

booblah4123

In my experience, private jewelry dealers are the way to go with gens! I have one (which doesn't really need to be serviced since it sits in a closet), but when I do need it serviced, I just take it back to my jeweler, he sends it to get serviced and takes a small spread.

chrish8

Wrong on several counts.

I haven't done business with them, but I did have JomaShop repair a watch for me. They were fast, responsive and perfect. And, they paid for shipping both ways.

Yes I forgot to mention Joma. Just so I am clear here was it for a repair i.e something broke, failed, or you just sent it back for service, oil, water test etc...? I may be confused but I thought you were saying you can send it in for service under warranty I never knew that and if that is the case I will be going to Joma on the next gen.