Gazzla

Rolex Submariner - Noob V5 Review & Photoshoot!

Gazzla

Hello People :lol:

Okay, before we start, a little disclaimer: I've always hated Rollies. :boxedin:

They're too small IMHO, they're the most counterfeited product, watches or otherwise, on the planet by a country mile; if you have one on your wrist everyone thinks its a copy and no factory, despite years of trying, has yet to produce a 1:1, AAAAAAAAAAA++++++ replica . . . :giggle:

. . .Anyhow, after a dozen or so years of buying reps my curiosity has got the better of me and I wanted to satisfy myself what all the fuss was about with Subs, so I ordered the Noob V5 from Toro. The QC pics, which I posted in a recent thread after I had bought the watch and got a bollocking for, were not of this watch. I think Toro is sending generic QC pics, but that's another story/thread . . .anyway . . .

Fucking amazeballs!!! :Jumpy:

This is the most gen-like rep, the PAM 088 aside, that I have had. It screams gen. Everything about it is solid. I'll let the pics do the work and I'll comment on each facet.

Remember please, before you flame the fuck out of me that I am a total Rolex Noob, but Rollie experts please feel free to correct me/offer your own opinions:

Without further ado . . .

Pics:

******Click to enlarge for detail******

First up, some shots to see the dial and bezel:

zJgDv02.jpg?1

ZRMhvqS.jpg?1

7R3pmVI.jpg?1

GfxMtyS.jpg?1

The Cyclops seems to me to be spot on, although I'm not sure if the blue AR is as per the gen:

rRpUnnx.jpg?1

The rehaut looks okay:

EgDiQeL.jpg?1

e25Wpx9.jpg?1

sOhPFmt.jpg?1

Pearl:

D44XEON.jpg?1

BC9A1h4.jpg?1

The strap and clasp are particularly good in my opinion. I didn't realise that these come with an adjustable ladder clasp. I was also unaware that the bracelet tapers from 20mm to 16mm at the clasp. It looks really small compared, say, to a PAM or Breitling: The inscriptions and crown look good, but being a Rollie noob, I don't know what to look for, although I do know it needs a good WD40, baby oil bath . . . :giggle:

NwBRu7D.jpg?1

gJDF83Y.jpg?1

5FzCwNA.jpg?1

Crown. The operation is solid and feels almost gen-like. I've had a few gens with Swiss ETA movements and this feels similar, even though it's an Asian clone. It looks gen-like to me . . .

sNJneY5.jpg?1

CpzXksF.jpg?1

Overall finish is fantastic and so is the lume:

Trbkhtu.jpg?1

q7qDUyH.jpg?1

SS9R43x.jpg?1

prbkqvH.jpg?1

HmPdsHe.jpg?1

Rs7dNo9.jpg?1

Etched crown. I cannot tell you how difficult it was to get a decent shot of this. It's almost invisible unless you get the correct light and angle:

JgNZ3qO.jpg?1

Final Dial shot:

11GQVdk.jpg?1

Gaz :lol:

HeavyKrush

Fuck me Gaz... Amazeballs is right. Looks fantastic mate.

Kodi1522

Looks beautiful mate! Excellent pics as well. Also, Subs will have a very small etched crown into the glass near the bottom of the face where it says "swiss made". Do you now if this watch has that? It should be able to be seen at certain angles and with a light. Thanks.

Wrist-Time

Simply Stunning. Your watch photography skills are superb.

Mr. Genesis

Looks beautiful mate! Excellent pics as well. Also, Subs will have a very small etched crown into the glass near the bottom of the face where it says "swiss made". Do you now if this watch has that? It should be able to be seen at certain angles and with a light. Thanks.

The watch looks amazing! And if you look reeaaally closely, you can see the little crown in some of his pictures :)

JohnG

Amazing watch but the pics are fucking fantastic!

Kodi1522

The watch looks amazing! And if you look reeaaally closely, you can see the little crown in some of his pictures :)

You have a good eye! After looking through the pics again, I do in fact see the crown. Thank you.

Markrfc

Stunning Gazzla let me know when you realize its too small for you.

Genius

Please stop taking photos of watches.

Every time I see one of your photoshoots it makes me want the watch

nunu78

Amazing watch but the pics are fucking fantastic!

+1 million.

Pharmo

Has can you do me a favour and stick to seikos please? Now u making me want a Rolex :lmao:

Wear in good health my friend.

Dawg

Amazing pictures.....now I want one!

Gazzla

Almost impossible to see it without the correct light and angle:

JgNZ3qO.jpg?1

simonbolivar

Amazing pics! I have one of these inbound and now I am really crawling out of my skin!

Stewart

Those pictures could be in national geographic. Terrific pictures, and very nice watch.

Gazzla

Fuck me, you're eyes are 20:20. I couldn't see it until I took the above shot!!

Daywatch

Thanks for these brilliant pics of the V5 in detail. The first ones in this quality available. Fantastic. Overall promising improvement with the shiny insert lettering. I like it:)

ShovelnTC

Yes mate your pictures are enticing me to buy this watch and I already have a BK Sub :D

Your review is great and so refreshing compared with the many experts who just love pointing out all of the minute tells and flaws that most of us just couldn't care less about.

Thanks for taking the time.

nunu78

Yes mate your pictures are enticing me to buy this watch and I already have a BK Sub :D

Your review is great and so refreshing compared with the many experts who just love pointing out all of the minute tells and flaws that most of us just couldn't care less about.

Thanks for taking the time.

very true, nobody else will ever notice those minute flaws.

Thanks for these brilliant pics of the V5 in detail. The first ones in this quality available. Fantastic. Overall promising improvement with the shiny insert lettering. I like it:)

very true.

20Footer

Gazz.... As stated by others. You make it damn near impossible to stop buying stuff when you post pics like this. Seriously amazing!!!

plankton

My friend you have outdone yourself. I'm not a Sub guy but yes I will now have to buy one.

Curious about the blue AR on the cyclops.

Thanks for a really great review Gazz...........

watchlvr91

Fantastic pictures! You've now put this one on my list...just when I thought I could take a break for a while!

Necromancer

Gazz just fuck off - your photography skills are costing me a small fortune.

You should be on commission from the TD's

Stunning my friend!

Mike on a bike

WOW great pics as usual, like that get a TC under your lens. To small Nah just right, try that line by me they will call you an Invicta lover, LOL!

Giant-watch.jpg

strozzi

Stunning shots. If Rolex hired you they could raise their prices even higher.

I just went through my first week with a Toro special sub, the 2012 version, because I wanted a Sub starter. I'm used to PAMS and I just felt that every collections should just have a sub, and it did feel small and too light. I almost sold it after the first day, but it is growing on me. Still a bit bothered by the shine of the ceramic, but what I really don't like is the light, cheap feel. Is your model "weighty", when you describe the quality feel- which is so intangible in words- should I think about upgrading to get this feel? Thanks for posting, really great stuff.

Edited by strozzi