Sign in to follow this  
webbo2005

Brand new Breitling Navitimer Asian 7750 - kind of DOA

webbo2005

Hey guys,

I received a new Breitling Navitimer from a TD on Wednesday (2 days ago), it arrived super quick to the UK and I'm really happy with it apart from the minor issue of it doesn't tell the time.

n4qKE1l.jpg

I did a lot of research on the 7750 movement, so I know to treat it gently and I know their issues with setting the date etc.

The second hand and the sub-dials are all working perfectly, but the main minute and hour hands haven't moved of their own accord at all. I pull the crown out two clicks to adjust the time and they move fine (don't appear to be catching each other, or the glass), but then when I push the crown back in fully, cross my fingers and wait, they fail to move (the second hand and sub-dials continue to tick away nicely).

The date wheel works fine too, sets nicely when I set the time to 6.00, and if I wind the hour hand past 12 midnight it successfully advances the date.

I've tried giving it a manual wind by turning the crown clockwise, 10 times, wait....no movement, 20 times, wait...no movement, 50 times, wait...no movement. I've tried stopping the crono, resetting it, re-activating it - I'm fresh out of ideas. I've tried wearing it for hours at a time, no movement, I've let it rest in different positions - still no movement. It's been 48 hours in total and I've not been able to conjure up any movement in the minute and hour hands (without manually setting their position).

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing before? Should I just wait a bit longer to see if it sorts itself out, should I take off the case back and see if I can identify the problem?

I've been in contact with the TD, they said it has no power reserve and to try manually winding it (which I did, up to 50 rotations in total), they have offered a return but I'm reluctant to do that as I've read a lot of problems can occur with shipping back to China.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

RUSH2112

It sounds like the winding worked if the subdials work when operating the chrono. The problem is not very many rep-friendly watchsmith will work on these 7750 movements. You can search forum for UK watchsmith and check but, once you go that route, you won't get much support from TD if a third party works on it. This is one of those times where you might need to send it back unless someone more familiar with these movements has another suggestion.

Venomous

What, you mean a watch is supposed to tell the time? Well I'll be dammed!

Don't bother sending it back to China mate. It's a fucking nightmare.

Just send it to one of the watchsmiths in the TD section, or you could send to SSTEEL (based in Finland)

ROLIE is in the UK and is also fantastic.

V

plankton

I have had to ship one back(one of many is all) and I ended up getting my return watch back in 6-8 weeks from Josh. It's a process that takes alot of time and fortunatly isnt all that common but you may need to do this. Maybe SSteel will chime in on this thread for you.

Mike on a bike

"Don't bother sending it back to China mate. It's a fucking nightmare."

+1

Khronos

+2 Send it to Micky ( SSteel ), he has done wonders to my PAM243-also no power reserve.

Duzza

Have you stopped and reset the chrono?

plankton

+2 Send it to Micky ( SSteel ), he has done wonders to my PAM243-also no power reserve.

+3 on Micky

Ahew9391

My thoughts too.

Stop the chrono running, give a gentle wind, set the time and you should be good to go.

The seconds @9 look they are running so you should be fine.

webbo2005

Hi guys, thanks so much for your replies.

My thoughts too.

Stop the chrono running, give a gentle wind, set the time and you should be good to go.

The seconds @9 look they are running so you should be fine.

^ I will try this next. I've left it at home while I'm at work, so I'll give it a go later.

Failing that, I think sending it to a watch repair guy in the UK/EU is my best bet ("ukwatchservices" recently serviced a Navitimer 7750 so might be my best option, although he's currently not taking on new work). I don't really want to risk sending it back to China, I'm not too concerned about forking out some extra cash to get it serviced or whatever.

I'll give ya'll an update later, thanks again.

Edited by webbo2005

agl1

Sorry to hear it's DOA. Lovely piece tho, hope you get it fixed up. :)

Del

Lovely watch and a damned shame that it's not working correctly.

To be honest, you should just send it back to the TD but if you'd rather get it repaired and serviced yourself then you should contact our TD repairer UK Watch Services. You will need to join a queue but his work is well worth the wait. ;)

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=84207

webbo2005

How much is a service roughly? Trying to weigh up the options here...

D_Chico
How much is a service roughly? Trying to weigh up the options here...

Where are you located? 7750 service can run from $100-$150..depends on who and what parts are needed to fix it..a new 7750 movement usually costs about $150 but personally I'd rather have a serviced and fixed 7750 rather than a new one..A proper cleaning, the right oils, and adjustments make a big difference with those movements! Unfortunately from the factory they don't usually have that done to them..It's usually the silliest of things that cause problems in these movements.. I've seen loose screws, too much oil (which is far worse than none at all) not properly adjusted balances, detents, escapements etc..all of which could have been easily fixed in the first place but now have caused a lot of damage because they weren't..

That's just my opinion ;) lol..

Well good luck bud! Let us know how it all works out! :)

webbo2005

Hi there, thanks for responding.

I'm based in the UK and I completely agree with what you're saying. I just need to decide if it's worth sending it for a repair/service to someone in the UK vs a return to China and potentially face the same problem.

You make a valid point that a service would make a big difference in the long run.

zerotera

Don't bother sending it back to China mate. It's a fucking nightmare.

V

+1