Sign in to follow this  
FuzzyCoyote

Car Shopping / Browsing - What watch to wear??

HeavyKrush

Just wear a Rolex... He'll think it's fake anyway. Seriously though, the watch might get noticed upon first meeting in terms of sizing up a customers possible viability but your negotiating skills, knowing the market value of the car or dealer invoice plus incentives I would hope would be the real determination of the price you pay for the car, not what your sporting on your wrist.

Best of luck either way mate.

GoW13
Maybe you are wrong about what sales persons think?! If a customer walks in with an AP, I would rather think "damn, I need to get this rich dude. Maybe I can convince him with a good discount to come back". In German it sounded way better what I wanted to say :D But maybe you get my point...

I get your point yes. Thanks for the thoughts.

Also, does the GoW in your name relate to Gears of War? Or Godfather of Watches? Lol

Gears of war is one hell of a game. But it stands actually for godfather of watches�� How did you know?��

I thought Gears of War at first, but then saw your signature at the bottom. Yes, gears is a hell of a game!

Haha, didn´t know what was in my signature. But I guess, it´s a real give away^^

And did you decide already for a watch?

Edited by GoW13

ag69

For me it's not about the watch I'm wearing, but what kind of haggling the dealership will do. I always contact at least 2 dealerships and haggle between them to get the price down and then go haggle some more from the one who has the lowest price. It works pretty good for me.

FuzzyCoyote
Maybe you are wrong about what sales persons think?! If a customer walks in with an AP, I would rather think "damn, I need to get this rich dude. Maybe I can convince him with a good discount to come back". In German it sounded way better what I wanted to say :D But maybe you get my point...

I get your point yes. Thanks for the thoughts.

Also, does the GoW in your name relate to Gears of War? Or Godfather of Watches? Lol

Gears of war is one hell of a game. But it stands actually for godfather of watches�� How did you know?��

I thought Gears of War at first, but then saw your signature at the bottom. Yes, gears is a hell of a game!

Haha, didn´t know what was in my signature. But I guess, it´s a real give away^^

And did you decide already for a watch?

Heading out in about 45 mins. Will be taking the Black Bay with me and deciding before I head in if I will wear it or not.

FuzzyCoyote
For me it's not about the watch I'm wearing, but what kind of haggling the dealership will do. I always contact at least 2 dealerships and haggle between them to get the price down and then go haggle some more from the one who has the lowest price. It works pretty good for me.

But yes, as people say, it's more about the negotiation skills etc. I will definitely be playing two off against each other once I decide which way I will go.

when i went to see & try the benz GLK, i had my IWC 3777 and the salesman noticed it while test driving it. Had a good watch talk on the road and continued in his office.

Ended up without even asking anything with 2k less on it.

When i went for the touareg (the one i picked), i had my bronzo and the salesman told me ''looks like the gold plating on your watch is falling off! It's all green under'' LOL!

I'd say pick whatever you want, as long as you buy the Jag :D

At the moment Jon, it's all about the Jag..... Lol

RichardMiami

I just went car shopping at several dealerships (and actually bought one! :) )

One of the salesmen had the crappiest, lowest level Canal St rep of an AP City of Sails that I had ever seen! It looked like it came out of the bottom of a Cracker Jacks box.

No, I did not "out" him... I made no comment on his watch at all.

But ---------------- he did NOT get my business :)

Wear whatever fucking watch you want!

My purchase:

20150726200712_zps1y0qa44k.jpg

GenTLe

Have to say that, when I go to pay invoices from builders and such artisans , begging some discount, I normally use this :)

4c908a954904125399764a5632f4925d.jpg

But for a BMW the BB remains my choice ;)

nofitstate
Forgot to say, it's was BMW and Audi salesmen I was seeing too ;)

If it was in Miltn Keynes then that's 3 for 3 lol........

If it's the Audi dealership in Milton Keynes then keep a good eye out on the roof!

I would of gone for the BB also.

dalboy

I think you are all missing the point here .. O.P also ..

Truth is the salesman doesn't give a Toss what's on your wrist .. if you think so your Nuts .. his aim is to get you signed up the cheapest way possible ..

As a dealership they have a certain amount of discount to play with .. the less they give away the better the sales commission .. its that simple . He may seem interested in your watch but that is just pleasantry .. nothing else .

When you go screw him for the absolute best deal you can ... regardless of what's on your wrist .. your ability to haggle and be prepared to walk away if you don't get close to where you want to be .

Dal.

Kernow

Wear what ever watch you want. You would be hard pressed for the salesman to notice what watch you are wearing, but if you want to create an impression with a general salesman then wear something Rolex-ish. The Black Bay would be a good choice as most salesman won't even notice the what you're wearing.

bech312

I think you have the wrong picture of a salesman. I don't think he will think that if you wear an expensive watch, you will pay more for the car than others will.

Wearing an expensive watch will show him you're interested in quality and that you're doing good in your life. (making good deals etc.)

Don't "dress" down and look like you're some kind of poor and hoping for a discount. Be proud an show him you're a man that knows how to make a good deal.

Get that discount because you can and not because you need it!

Edited by bech312

Baldrick

:facepalm:

It matters not a jot what you wear......wear the most expensive watch represented in your box....if he comments on it....tell him the reason you can afford to wear it..is because you expect the best deal.......but....visit the bank before you go in for the deal......withdraw around 10k GBP.......let him see it ....then ask him the question....."what's the very LEAST you'll take for this".....tell him it's a once only offer...and that his pencil better be sharp......you close the deal....don't allow him to !!!

Tits McGee

Are we talking new or used?

Sounds like buying a car in the UK is a lot like here in the states. I can't speak for the UK but in the States...the dealers all pay the same for their new cars. At best new car sales is a break even business for a dealership. New car dealers make their money from, parts, service, & after-sale warranty's. The money dealers pay to finance their inventory & pay sales commissions wipes out any new car profit.

I laugh when I see how we or "prepare" to go to a dealership and "work" the deal when every dealers car is the same.

Used is an all together different ballgame. There are no 2 identical used cars.

Either way the watch doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

kingkaiser

Today I am going to head out car shopping, well more like browsing before making a bit of a decision. And the question is, which watch do I wear?

20005786538_3103043186_k.jpg

Realistically it won't make a difference in 99% of cases, but if you're worried, middle ground is best. Don't wear a watch and dress normally. Then negotiate your heart out without worrying about any net worth tells.

Genius

My mate just got a new 520d he decided on the one he wanted then went to two different bmw franchises, I think Leeds and Leicester but don't hold me to that. On the day he actually bought it he had both dealerships calling him offering better and better deals until they got to the point where neither could go any further then one offered free alloy wheel insurance and he went with them. If you play it right it doesn't matter what watch you wear.

Just an opinion on the car, I love beemers, I actually drive a z4 so my advice to you is BUY THE JAG! It's an absolutely awesome car! 3 series is nice so is the audi but neither are a jag

northantsrich

SAM_0985.jpg

:D

And say your name is Colin

FuzzyCoyote

Thanks for the thoughts gents.

Loved the varied opinion.

Went with the BB. Got to a point where I would have liked the deal to be, walked away to let them sweat on it seeing if they would go any lower and to use that to play off against other dealers :)

RussP

Pffft......................first world problems :B):

Having worked in sales for many years, the customer's watch was the last thing on my radar.

There are other ways to gauge their interest or lack thereof...................but this thread made for interesting reading.

Hope you get a great deal on the car you buy.

Wish I could afford any of those brands you mentioned in your first post.

RussP

:facepalm:

It matters not a jot what you wear......wear the most expensive watch represented in your box....if he comments on it....tell him the reason you can afford to wear it..is because you expect the best deal.......but....visit the bank before you go in for the deal......withdraw around 10k GBP.......let him see it ....then ask him the question....."what's the very LEAST you'll take for this".....tell him it's a once only offer...and that his pencil better be sharp......you close the deal....don't allow him to !!!

Best post I've read.........................

Rg0576

Your best weapon is an ability and willingness to walk out if the dealership won't give you your price. 9 times out of 10 they will call you back in a few days willing to give you what you want.

agl1

Currently car shopping at the moment. Do you know how hard it is in the UK to walk into a dealership and ask to be shown around cars. These guys expect you to know what you're working with and exactly what you want from photos online. How are we supposed to see if we like how a car feels without experiencing it?

I'm 25, self employed and have a good steady income. I don't dress posh but I'm 'presentable' just casual. We wanted an Audi but wasn't sure on the size of the cars.

The first Audi salesman was appalling - train wreck. Sat me and my girlfriend down and told us we couldn't afford it. Didn't know a thing about us or what we were after. He got it on the phone a couple days later where I said I wanted to do a deal but he missed out. The second Audi salesman at a new garage was nice and talked us round the S1, A4 and S3. We didn't drive any because they didn't have the right models as testers but we'll do that in a couple days.

I hope the BMW man treated you better than I was treated at Audi. It's not all about the watch you wear but how you carry yourself and negotiate. I've found they'll ALWAYS ask you what your budget is. Always tell them lower than it is as they'll no doubt always come in higher than what you say. The only time a dealer came in under was when I was looking at a Vauxhall Astra. Then they'll ask what they can do to do a deal today - thats your chance to get what you want knocked off and walk out with a decent deal.

So far this week I've walked out of 9 dealerships without signing anything... I'm getting a feel for size and features, not budget and finance figures! I feel like when I do come to do a deal in a couple weeks time when me and my girlfriend are done travelling with work and family I'll be in a much better position to do a deal.

Edited by agl1

vinnychase1

Take the BB and a Hot girl. You can find the hot girl on Craigslist...

Edited by vinnychase1

nofitstate
I actually drive a z4

Veering slightly off topic, good choice of car. I drive a Z4 too. What one do you have?

FuzzyCoyote
Take the BB and a Hot girl. You can find the hot girl on Craigslist...

Haha brilliant

FuzzyCoyote
Currently car shopping at the moment. Do you know how hard it is in the UK to walk into a dealership and ask to be shown around cars. These guys expect you to know what you're working with and exactly what you want from photos online. How are we supposed to see if we like how a car feels without experiencing it?

I'm 25, self employed and have a good steady income. I don't dress posh but I'm 'presentable' just casual. We wanted an Audi but wasn't sure on the size of the cars.

The first Audi salesman was appalling - train wreck. Sat me and my girlfriend down and told us we couldn't afford it. Didn't know a thing about us or what we were after. He got it on the phone a couple days later where I said I wanted to do a deal but he missed out. The second Audi salesman at a new garage was nice and talked us round the S1, A4 and S3. We didn't drive any because they didn't have the right models as testers but we'll do that in a couple days.

I hope the BMW man treated you better than I was treated at Audi. It's not all about the watch you wear but how you carry yourself and negotiate. I've found they'll ALWAYS ask you what your budget is. Always tell them lower than it is as they'll no doubt always come in higher than what you say. The only time a dealer came in under was when I was looking at a Vauxhall Astra. Then they'll ask what they can do to do a deal today - thats your chance to get what you want knocked off and walk out with a decent deal.

So far this week I've walked out of 9 dealerships without signing anything... I'm getting a feel for size and features, not budget and finance figures! I feel like when I do come to do a deal in a couple weeks time when me and my girlfriend are done travelling with work and family I'll be in a much better position to do a deal.

You know what, yesterday, I had been into Ford, BMW and Mercedes and you are quite right. The 'service ' that I received was awful really. I was looking at the cars, opening doors, sitting in them and even though there was a salesman free in each I didn't get asked if I could be helped until at least 10mins in. They may get a lot of time wasters but it's a two second question to see the reason I am there. Now I don't like to be pressured when I am shopping for any item, I like to do my thing but know I have the option of being attended to if needed (first world problem I know but on expensive purchases I like that). And as you say, they were more interested in my budget or how much I wanted to spend than my needs or wants....

However, I then went to the Jaguar dealer. Talk about chalk and cheese. Walked through the door between two F-Types (gorgeous), and greeted by a girl on their desk with a 'good afternoon sir, I'm very sorry but all the sales executives are busy at the moment, feel free to have a browse around, I will take your name and someone can see to you when they become free if you wish, can I get you a drink at all'. Boom, this is the type of service that gets my attention. When I was seen by one of the guys there, not once was I asked about my financials or budget until I explained what I was looking at and the options I would like.

And to relate it back to this post... I was wearing the BB in each and every one so as many people have said - I don't think it made one jot of difference.

The salesman I dealt with had a lovely Tissot on as well.