Sign in to follow this  
FuzzyCoyote

Car Shopping / Browsing - What watch to wear??

FuzzyCoyote

Hey all, I have a bit of a dilemma and would like a bit of advice from you guys (and girls) if I may.

Today I am going to head out car shopping, well more like browsing before making a bit of a decision. And the question is, which watch do I wear?

Usually I don't really care too much about it and would happily wear the AP Tour Auto or the FM out anywhere, but this is slightly different.

I don't have a humongous budget or anything, and will be looking at cars in the Jaguar XE / Audi A4 / BMW 3 series price bracket. But the reason I ask is that I will obviously be trying to get the best deal, and knowing salesmen a good one will look at all aspects of a person to try and sell for the highest price. If I rock up in an AP then, if knowledgable about watches, it may go against me thinking 'ah he can pay that for a watch, he doesn't really need this discount'.

I may be completely wrong, and the watch choice may have absolutely zero effect on anything. But I will be trying to secure the best deal I can and am happy to use any avenues to do this, including the management of what watch I wear.

By all means bash away if you like, but would welcome your thoughts on the collection below and your thoughts on if this would make one shred of difference anyway.

Cheers

G

20005786538_3103043186_k.jpg

Foxindebox

Black bay mate, classy watch but doesn't give the "I've got money to burn" vibe :D

Kcore

My advice is the same for this as going to an AD, "wear any watch you feel like and simply place it in your pocket before walking through the front door." IMO, you can't go wrong.

Good luck on the hunt! :thumbsup:

GenTLe

Black Bay for me too.

Or, if you want a big discount, that skull one together with a leather jacket and boots :D

Mystery Shopper

SAM_0985.jpg

:D

Chiquita Fanjita

I was doing car shopping last Saturday and Monday night and spookily I wore my Black Bay. Even noticed one Breitling wearing salesman eyeing it up.

Even got a wristie pic when salesman was in the office.

E0572D90-DE51-47C0-8547-050EF640328C_zpscktqc5fa.jpg

Gazzla

I'd go route one and wear the gold Patek. :giggle:

FuzzyCoyote
Black bay mate, classy watch but doesn't give the "I've got money to burn" vibe :D
Black Bay for me too.

Or, if you want a big discount, that skull one together with a leather jacket and boots :D

I was doing car shopping last Saturday and Monday night and spookily I wore my Black Bay. Even noticed one Breitling wearing salesman eyeing it up.

Even got a wristie pic when salesman was in the office.

E0572D90-DE51-47C0-8547-050EF640328C_zpscktqc5fa.jpg

So far the BB is getting all the votes haha

SAM_0985.jpg

:D

Haha love that!!

My advice is the same for this as going to an AD, "wear any watch you feel like and simply place it in your pocket before walking through the front door." IMO, you can't go wrong.

Good luck on the hunt! :thumbsup:

As valid choice as any bud :)

I'd go route one and wear the gold Patek. :giggle:

Maybe il drop into a Bentley or Rolls dealer after with this on ;)

Chiquita Fanjita

Forgot to say, it's was BMW and Audi salesmen I was seeing too ;)

Dr. Jimmy

Another vote for the BB.

FuzzyCoyote
Forgot to say, it's was BMW and Audi salesmen I was seeing too ;)

If it was in Miltn Keynes then that's 3 for 3 lol........

Markrfc

I bet theres a few car salesman frequent these boards when i bought our last car the salesman was wearing a fake daytona.

RUSH2112

If you do your research on price (edmunds.com) before going it really shouldn't matter these days. I've found that people "with money" can be some of the biggest ball busters about getting the best price anyways. Salesman should be used to it. But is still would wear a seiko...

ShovelnTC

You're over thinking it, a salesman is only concerned with making a sale and detecting how much a client has in his bank account isn't part of the training but seeing you stand up ready to walk out the door will get much more attention than what watch you have on.

WatchDog21

Black Bay. Like has been said, it doesn't scream MONEY like the AP, yet has all the class.

Not That Rich

Another vote for the BB

rusky27

Gshock

GoW13

Maybe you are wrong about what sales persons think?! If a customer walks in with an AP, I would rather think "damn, I need to get this rich dude. Maybe I can convince him with a good discount to come back". In German it sounded way better what I wanted to say :D But maybe you get my point...

FuzzyCoyote
Maybe you are wrong about what sales persons think?! If a customer walks in with an AP, I would rather think "damn, I need to get this rich dude. Maybe I can convince him with a good discount to come back". In German it sounded way better what I wanted to say :D But maybe you get my point...

I get your point yes. Thanks for the thoughts.

Also, does the GoW in your name relate to Gears of War? Or Godfather of Watches? Lol

FuzzyCoyote
You're over thinking it, a salesman is only concerned with making a sale and detecting how much a client has in his bank account isn't part of the training but seeing you stand up ready to walk out the door will get much more attention than what watch you have on.

Cracking bit of advice, and I do think that is the case also. From looky looky men at the market to top class salesmen, if you are about to walk away it gets more attention than anything...

Paparolf

I would where the most expensive watch I have, that would tell the salesman I am no pushover and I'm not stupid and you will do me a deal else I'm out of here to spend my wealth elsewhere!!

Chiruku

Afraid I would have to go for - none of them!

An expensive watch in the eyes of a sales man means more money to them. It might be less for a trade in, or not getting as good a percentage rate on a loan.

When you go for the first time dress down and get a good deal. When you go again to pick the car up, strap on one of the Pateks!

GoW13

Also, does the GoW in your name relate to Gears of War? Or Godfather of Watches? Lol

Gears of war is one hell of a game. But it stands actually for godfather of watches How did you know?

FuzzyCoyote
Afraid I would have to go for - none of them!

An expensive watch in the eyes of a sales man means more money to them. It might be less for a trade in, or not getting as good a percentage rate on a loan.

When you go for the first time dress down and get a good deal. When you go again to pick the car up, strap on one of the Pateks!

Haha, love the idea of strapping on a Patek for the pick up. :)

Gears of war is one hell of a game. But it stands actually for godfather of watches How did you know?

I thought Gears of War at first, but then saw your signature at the bottom. Yes, gears is a hell of a game!

McJules

when i went to see & try the benz GLK, i had my IWC 3777 and the salesman noticed it while test driving it. Had a good watch talk on the road and continued in his office.

Ended up without even asking anything with 2k less on it.

When i went for the touareg (the one i picked), i had my bronzo and the salesman told me ''looks like the gold plating on your watch is falling off! It's all green under'' LOL!

I'd say pick whatever you want, as long as you buy the Jag :D