BenjaminButton

Watch for my 18yr old nephew

hramirez1966

Seiko Monster? Pretty much bombproof, not too big. Auto. Can't really go wrong...

Have to agree. My Monster is my go to travel watch. It's seen everything from big cities to the jungles of Colombia.

BenjaminButton
So much should be about what kind of style the kid has? If he's into gaming or fitness, a g-shock or something digital might be his bag. If he's into the latest gadgets maybe a smart watch?

I personally would get him an automatic, just because they're cool + if anything's gonna get someone hooked on a watch it will be an auto...

So running seems to be 'the thing' and so digital and smartness seem to be the general consensus but I'm thinking ignore this consensus as I want to give him the gift of loving watches and for me that started with analogue and mechanical. So your words basically summed that up. What he might choose versus what I would choose.

GenTLe

Also consider a crystal open case back. If the "joy of the auto" is just the need to re-set the time every now and then it may be boring. Seeing all those tiny gears from the case back it is much more intriguing...

porschespeedster

i'm thinking if he's a runner get him a quartz chronograph.

I would grab him a Speedy Mark II rep or a Tudor blue heritage---

there's a lot of chrono reps that are nice, or go the Seiko route if you want to get him a gen.

it would be cool to give it to him + explain to him how he can time his runs with it etc.

NMA

18 years old and travelling, get him a quartz chronograph

Wriggles

Are you doing this to get him a watch that will stand to him travelling or to get him interested in watches?

If it's the latter, then is this really something he may do or is it something you'd like for him? He may never develop that interest, almost certainly not on a gap year travelling (booze, women, etc) at which point it's been a bit futile

If it's the former, then something quartz, and inconspicuous. It is less likely to be lifted, more likely to survive whatever he may get up to on his travels.

Go Kinetic or Solar quartz if you want to be a little fancier, or G-shock for all out rugged reliability

You can always get him something nicer to mark his 21st to try to get his interest into more "proper" watches, at a time when he'll have some income and possibly be more mature and therefore more interested.

BenjaminButton

Thank you for the great feedback. Always a good read as we are never short of ideas regards buying watches....are we!! The boys plans have changed travelling has turned into a job. Universities don't accept a wasted year and gap years have to be accounted for to keep a place when the time comes round next September. Any road, I've gone with my choice rather than account for his interests. Bought him the watch I would have liked at 18. I'll post pictures when it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

splke

tease , looking forward to see what you decided on

BenjaminButton

So it arrived today from Creation Watches. It's a Seiko 5 model SNZG09K1 and I love it. Seiko make excellent watches. Thinking I may be going Seiko for a bit.

Pictures......

23c2f82dec60732eca5232c80b0228c9.jpg

ad6f7460938175512813bd302b26221c.jpg

b03b78388343e792e4f167ceb072af6d.jpg

6192dcdad5b79718ba1a367d9dd88a28.jpg

splke

its a cracker I hope they do many miles together

Denberg10

That's a great choice, hope he likes it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenjaminButton
its a cracker I hope they do many miles together

Thank you sir.

Daywatch

That was an excellent choice and decision. Great pics and a fantastic lume-shot, really nice on that Seiko 5. Like that 24 hr scale.

BenjaminButton
That was an excellent choice and decision. Great pics and a fantastic lume-shot, really nice on that Seiko 5. Like that 24 hr scale.

Ta very much. Lume on Seiko is always great.