BenjaminButton

Watch for my 18yr old nephew

BenjaminButton

Decided to buy my nephew a watch for his gap year travels. Something in the 100 to 150 quid range. He's 18, he's travelling so it will see some action.

My initial thoughts were Seiko and kinetic or similar. I'm thinking kinetic because then it's power issue free whilst being interesting enough to perhaps give him the watch bug. Or automatic, but I wonder if occasional setting of the time will lead to disinterest! And I don't think it should go much over 41mm as he's got slim wrists like his uncle!!

Any thoughts and suggestions would be really helpful.

Oh and day, date so in his blurry youthful travels he'll at least know those facts even if he's not sure where he's woken up!!

Kinetic......

8b653e58718ab7e877c414c341e6daf9.jpg

Automatic......

4ca01e8004945883d872b6e073891b84.jpg

Automatic diver with atomic lume.......

7689927291c45136d15eba1ef1285247.jpg

Genius

If I was off travelling a G shock tough solar model would be my choice, maybe even one with a radio controlled clock so even if he wakes up in a different country the watch will still show the correct time

greg_r

Seiko Monster? Pretty much bombproof, not too big. Auto. Can't really go wrong...

GenTLe

I like the auto, when I was 18 (actually from 9 to now) I had fascination for mechanical engineering. So I would go for the pilot or diver autos.

But mainly depends from his interests and style (I'd not give a diver to someone who likes cuff links and suits for example).

BenjaminButton
If I was off travelling a G shock tough solar model would be my choice, maybe even one with a radio controlled clock so even if he wakes up in a different country the watch will still show the correct time

That's a great idea. Did think G shock but I'm not a personal fan. Features make it sound pretty amazing and he'd probably love it.

markeym3

Damm .. Seiko do some good looking watches , that Kinetic looks soo nice ..

I agree ,, if he has no real interest in auto watches he may not be on the ball with time settings and mechanical sympathy, so maybe quartz is the way, but still with an analogue dial..

BenjaminButton
Seiko Monster? Pretty much bombproof, not too big. Auto. Can't really go wrong...

This is my favourite, wife doesn't 'get it' but when does that ever stand in the way of watches!

I like the auto, when I was 18 (actually from 9 to now) I had fascination for mechanical engineering. So I would go for the pilot or diver autos.

But mainly depends from his interests and style (I'd not give a diver to someone who likes cuff links and suits for example).

Thanks Gentle, automatic is definitely the real route to getting into watches in my opinion.

splke

I have the auto you have in the second pic (its my graft watch) it takes all the stick I can through at it and the canvas is really comfy in all conditions even swimming .

the kinetic in the first picture looks ace and will keep better time in the long haul

he has his phone for accuracy ;o)

BenjaminButton

On Greg's monster suggestion this is the one that caught my eye.

Guess the question is am I buying him something I like so the gift is my taste and love of watches or am buying him something I think he would choose. I think the former personally.

e4549d0ed856951f87ec66623b23604b.jpg

robsterwebb

On Greg's monster suggestion this is the one that caught my eye.

Guess the question is am I buying him something I like so the gift is my taste and love of watches or am buying him something I think he would choose. I think the former personally.

e4549d0ed856951f87ec66623b23604b.jpg

That.Is.Lovely!

Daywatch

Interesting thread. To get him into watches one of the suggested Seiko Divers or the SKX007/ 009 is the best imho. Personal favourite as it sits well/small on the wrist, winds and hacks and became the choice of Italian Navy Divers instead of PAMs is the Citizen NY.

A lot will depend of his destination (western Nations or backpackers Afrika/South-America) where he just needs something inconspicuous, practical, functional and lightweight. Alarm timer, settable 3min or 11min audible countdown-alarms, hour beep, 2nd time zone, daydate, waterresistant and light source function are invaluable handy companions on the wrist when off the beaten track and cover several essentials, that neither an automatic nor an iphone that You have to look for/grab first/ ran out of power provide. An auto plus a quartz make for an ideal combo imho.

Tank007E09_3214_Nightflash1024_zps596c52c7.jpg

citizen3407_zps8f1508bd.jpg

Timex_3179_1024_zpsfd6c521a.jpg

Timex_1254c_zpsa6a4a023.jpg

BenjaminButton
Interesting thread. To get him into watches one of the suggested Seiko Divers or the SKX007/ 009 is the best imho. Personal favourite as it sits well/small on the wrist, winds and hacks and became the choice of Italian Navy Divers instead of PAMs is the Citizen NY.

A lot will depend of his destination (western Nations or backpackers Afrika/South-America) where he just needs something inconspicuous, practical, functional and lightweight. Alarm timer, settable 3min or 11min audible countdown-alarms, hour beep, 2nd time zone, daydate, waterresistant and light source function are invaluable handy companions on the wrist when off the beaten track and cover several essentials, that neither an automatic nor an iphone that You have to look for/grab first/ ran out of power provide. An auto plus a quartz make for an ideal combo imho.

Thanks Daywatch that's a lot to think about, lots of detail and clearly from experience.

I'm 007 owner with a Muphy bezel mod so definitely a fan of both the 007 an 009.

BadPickle

Something reletively inconspicuous, that way it won't get purloined when he's high on "ahem" life :lol:

BenjaminButton
Something reletively inconspicuous, that way it won't get purloined when he's high on "ahem" life :lol:

If he's anything like his uncle, at that age, then it won't be life he's high on and he'll loose the watch within a week! Luckily he's nothing like his uncle.

Genius

If he's anything like his uncle, at that age, then it won't be life he's high on and he'll loose the watch within a week! Luckily he's nothing like his uncle.

:lmao2:

Daywatch

inconspicuous :lmao2: and pure functionality: although it might not well "get him into watches"

IMG_4815.jpg

Gazzla

One of these, job done. :D

06yYz51.jpg

Gig7rdF.jpg

BenjaminButton
One of these, job done. :D

06yYz51.jpg

Gig7rdF.jpg

You take a persuasive photograph Mr G.

:)

Daywatch

Gazzla´s 5sports has been like 5 or 6 times on my list already, simple and universal choice. Somehow this thread and a "Back-to-the-Future"-pic made me buy a retro quartz-beater, behold the "Casio-Bond" Worldtimer (not my pic, but it´s the watch), 10 years battery life. Had to pay a whooping EUR 35,- in the EU, it´s better priced ROW.

nice review and how to mod: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/digital-appreciation-bond-casio-ae1200-aka-casio-royale-939510.html

AE1200_8_zpsmteyfg5z.jpg

Thrichar

1D44C4EC-A42A-4BC3-8E53-F39D2BAF56B9_zpsxmdb8xng.jpg

Coincidentally there's one M2M currently ;)

carter23

Im 18 and the one watch that I wear nearly 24/7 is the IWC 3717. On canvas strap its really comfy, and it is at the same standard as a gen imo... very well made

BenjaminButton
1D44C4EC-A42A-4BC3-8E53-F39D2BAF56B9_zpsxmdb8xng.jpg

Coincidentally there's one M2M currently ;)

A great watch. Now the update from his mum is he wouldn't go for a diver. But this is available over in M2M right now folks.

Sakurai

Even without Gaz's mouth watering photo, I think that Seiko 5 Safari Style would be just brilliant. Don't worry about him having to re set the time now and then - he'll quickly learn that's simply part of the deal with automatic watches, and it will be more special because of that.

All in all many quite worthy watches posted here - another option depending on his style could be a quartz chrono, what actually got me hooked on watches as a 13-year old was an (at the time) really cool Citizen chrono that I got from my grand parents. Still have it, and even though I only rarely wear it nowadays it will always have a special place in my watch boxes.

porschespeedster

So much should be about what kind of style the kid has? If he's into gaming or fitness, a g-shock or something digital might be his bag. If he's into the latest gadgets maybe a smart watch?

I personally would get him an automatic, just because they're cool + if anything's gonna get someone hooked on a watch it will be an auto...