Sign in to follow this  
ColdFusi0n

How many of you could actually afford a GEN Rolex

BadPickle

Would suggest the OP assumes that the epitome of wealth and social standing is Rolex....

You got a point or are you just blathering?

I'll admit I don't understand social standing and watches.

"blathering" ?? :lol: not me RichyBaby, I just wondered why Rolex? Maybe the blinkered vision of the OP can't see past the coronet? Why not IWC or Patek?

Maybe in the delusional world you've not "made it" until you can afford a gen Rolex :ohwell:

ColdFusi0n
As soon as I saw this thread, I just knew that the first post was going to be "Can you afford a Rolex, because I can afford two". Going public with your wealth is really bad form young sir. Especially when there are members here who would probably count your wealth as pocket change.
lol seriously? Are u trolling? Wtf is your problem? What is this thread got to do with me owning two rolex? And what do u mean going public with my wealth? Does my thread sound arrogant? I was merely seeking opinions and what people think. FYI my first date just was a gift and i worked my ass off for my 16613. I am by no mean rich or wealthy. Just a simple guy who share the same interest just like everyone else here. So stop trying to take a piss on this thread. I appreciate everyone's reply except yours.

Wriggles

As soon as I saw this thread, I just knew that the first post was going to be "Can you afford a Rolex, because I can afford two". Going public with your wealth is really bad form young sir. Especially when there are members here who would probably count your wealth as pocket change.

Wealth? Ha. I think Pickled's already said what needs to be said there.

Ultimately there's only one direction this is going, sooner or later

Daffy

:P

NCRich

Would suggest the OP assumes that the epitome of wealth and social standing is Rolex....

You got a point or are you just blathering?

I'll admit I don't understand social standing and watches.

"blathering" ?? :lol: not me RichyBaby, I just wondered why Rolex? Maybe the blinkered vision of the OP can't see past the coronet? Why not IWC or Patek?

Maybe in the delusional world you've not "made it" until you can afford a gen Rolex :ohwell:

I was joking since all I seem to buy anymore is Rolex reps. I guess I can't see past the coronet.

ag69
not one I would want to own !

Yeah, not a fan of the Rollie's. Even though I have a rep Daytona pro hunter. Can't remember the last time I wore because it's to small for my taste.

RUSH2112

Most of us could probably afford a gen patek but understand that we need money for other things such as kids colleges, retirement accounts, mortgages, etc... Hell, the amount of money I just spent on my daughters braces could have covered the cost of a no date sub.

purger72

Not fan off Rolex , can afford gen but why? When rep are off good quality.

Just 2 days ago bought gen Tag for my wife,for her that is important.

She is trying to get me some gen for years but I dont want any.

Cant justify to my self spending more than 1000$ on the watch no metter what brand.

Reps are just fine,so are seikos,citizens and so on as long price is 1000 or under.

tomtom1988

All in all this thread is stupid.

Whether or not people can afford one why does it even matter?

This is a place people comes to share their love of watches, be that Cartier, Rolex, omega, seiko, whatever people like they will buy. I just don't see the point of this question.

jimsusan

Silly question. Lots of gen ownership here as you will see from the gen wristies thread (which barely scrapes the surface). Reps are the perfect option for those of us who like some variety.

Not only variety but owning and wearing my reps (and enjoying same) allows me to protect and preserve in pristine condition my Gen watches. I've got gens and reps of Rolex Explorer, Airking, Perpetual and Datejust not to mention Omega Speedmaster and even Longines. I like the smaller Panerai watches but would never buy a gen Pam as the reps are so good and I'd rather buy gen Rolex or Omega with big chunks of money.

Whenever I'm wearing one of my gens I'm always aware that I might scratch or damage it in some way which makes me a bit 'anal' I suppose. I never feel this way with my reps as I know I can easily replace them.

gavmeister
Most of us could probably afford a gen patek but understand that we need money for other things such as kids colleges, retirement accounts, mortgages, etc... Hell, the amount of money I just spent on my daughters braces could have covered the cost of a no date sub.

You must be using the same dentist as me for my kids....said dentist can now afford three Rolex watches!

964boy

ME

Silva97

Interesting thread to be started by someone that lowballed me for one of my watches because of a very poor exchange rate!

Somethings not reading quite right here me thinks!

ColdFusi0n
Interesting thread to be started by someone that lowballed me for one of my watches because of a very poor exchange rate!

I tried to negotiate lower then your asking price. If you think im low balling then my sincere apology to you. In the end i ordered 2 watches from a TD after you didnt accept my offer. Because for the price you are asking, i can top another $100 to get the latest version with assurance that it will not get seized half way. So its not what im willing to pay for. No offence to you Hope u find a buyer soon :)

rawbaws

Lol.

stevok2305

Can afford one. Would never buy one. Any yes I do have several quality gens (Santos 100, Omega Constellation, couple of vintage IWC'S and a 70's Breitling Top Time). I would rather spend the cash on something a little less mainstream than Rolex as most people associate even gens as probable reps.

Silva97

No offence taken. Normally I wouldn't even take the time to comment on threads like this however after the apparent negotiating I found this thread quite amusing.

As has been mentioned previously there is a large amount of gen ownership on this forum, you can get a basic idea of this from the gen wrist checks however you may be surprised what some members including myself have tucked away in the safe.

tabuktime

Yes.

Nickfive

what the fuck have I just read, some of you guys need to take your head for a shit LOL

ColdFusi0n
No offence taken. Normally I wouldn't even take the time to comment on threads like this however after the apparent negotiating I found this thread quite amusing.

As has been mentioned previously there is a large amount of gen ownership on this forum, you can get a basic idea of this from the gen wrist checks however you may be surprised what some members including myself have tucked away in the safe.

Yeap thats the whole point of this thread. To get to know what gen owners (who could afford real high end watches) think about collecting reps. I appreciate everyone's opinion. Thats why i ask this question on this forum because if this was in watchuseek, all i will see are the same "fake watch for fake people" bs. Here in this forum all of us have the same interest with rep. Thats all.

animal

Like others have already said, I think there's a ceiling to whats acceptable for your average person to spend on a timepiece. Sure, if I was in the the Top 1% and money was no object then that's a different story.

For me the ceiling is approx 1-2 thousand Euro, any more seems silly.

In fact yesterday I received my latest Gen watch, which was a Chris Ward C60 GMT. This cost 1180 Euro. I think that is already in the high range for a watch but I hope CW watches might become collectable and retain its value.

Getting back to Reps though, having the ability to get such high quality reps allows me to have 'THAT' feeling without the empty pocket feeling that would come with it otherwise.

Edited by animal

GenTLe

For me it's not "Can I afford it?" but instead "Why?" -> Why should I spend a lot of money (relatively to my incomings) to...

1) ...pay for a name?

2) ...obtain something that I'd be rather worried to ding, scratch, being stolen?

3) ...obtain something that does exactly the same thing, and it's 90-99% equal (for my eyes) to a similar object that costs 1/20 (the rep)?

4) ...divert funds that should be better used for something that will stay with me forever (if Dr. Alzheimer will not touch me), like the memories from a trip?

Seriously, I don't see any point (for me) to throw away good money hardly gained to enrich some Swiss stockholder fucker.

black263
lol seriously? Are u trolling? Wtf is your problem? What is this thread got to do with me owning two rolex? And what do u mean going public with my wealth? Does my thread sound arrogant? I was merely seeking opinions and what people think. FYI my first date just was a gift and i worked my ass off for my 16613. I am by no mean rich or wealthy. Just a simple guy who share the same interest just like everyone else here. So stop trying to take a piss on this thread. I appreciate everyone's reply except yours.

offended_zps65e9b6da.jpg

Could someone pass me a landing net? I think I have a bite.

I might have been more gentle, had you said "Which of us could afford" without promptly declaring that you had two. But no, the first post came over as "I can, how about you"

ColdFusi0n

offended_zps65e9b6da.jpg

Could someone pass me a landing net? I think I have a bite.

I might have been more gentle, had you said "Which of us could afford" without promptly declaring that you had two. But no, the first post came over as "I can, how about you"

I think you misunderatood. Thats not what i was trying to imply.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

greg_r
noobs-throwing-cans.jpg