Sign in to follow this  
ColdFusi0n

How many of you could actually afford a GEN Rolex

ColdFusi0n

Just a curious questions since all of us share the same interest on collecting reps. This is not the type of question i want to ask on Watchuseek or Watchfreeks because i would probably get the same "i would rather wear a real seiko then a fake rolex" answer.

Last night i came across this video from a guy who collects both gen and replica watch. He seem know alot about them too.

Theres 3 parts for that video.

So after watching that video, a question came to my mind - If you could actually afford a genuine Rolex or already own one or few, what makes you want to wear / collect reps.

I myself own a gen 16613 bluesy and a 16613 TT Date Just but ive always been obsessed with Panerai, AP and Hublot thats because i have a few watch enthusiast friends who can afford gen rolex watches or already own a few of them but every time we gather, i see anything but a Rolex on their wrist like, most commonly Hublot and AP, so from there i started to grow interested in them.

When i ask them why, its simply because Rolex can keep its value. Its better to invest 15k on a TT Rolex Daytona that will still be worth 15k in 5-10 years time rather then spending 15k on a Hublot that will never keep its value but since Hublot makes really beautiful watch and as much as we hate their marketing gimmic, im sure some of us have the guilty pleasure of fantasizing it on our wrist or actually owning a rep since $300-400 is the max they are willing to spend even if we could afford the real thing. Another guy owns a rep AP Roo Diver simply because 20-30k is way above his budget but since he loves AP design, he just wear the rep proudly and YOLO about it.

Im not trying to justify anything. Just curious what you guys think.

tomtom1988

Bit of a silly question me thinks... I'm sure we are all adults here and could afford one if we wanted one. It's the same as anything really, you want something then work hard and make it yours. The only gen Rolex I'd buy is a Daytona simply because they are my favourite type of Rolex. Could I afford one now? If I sold what I have gen wise then yes I guess so. Would I swap my two gens for one right now? After thinking about it and realising that my grail watch is something I should work hard for and at 27 I might not be there yet then no, I probably wouldn't buy one now. But it's a watch il never buy a rep of and I will own one when the time is right.

As far as your hublot comment goes... I actually like the classic fusion which start at about £3300 gbp so I think that'll be my next gen. Again I know the stick hublot get here but you have to buy watches that you like, not what your peers like

Bowtie666

I could afford a lot of watches I plan on getting reps for. I speak anecdotally of course. I like watches, I would assume most of us here do as well. My love watches goes to a certain point until where the cost of a watch (inc. any associated opportunity costs) outweighs the pleasure it will bring me.

Can I spend $15k on a watch, sure, but I would be much happier with the $15k (perhaps putting it towards a car or something else with a little bit more utility). In that case, I buy a rep which brings me the joy of filling a slot in my watch box with the watch that I love.

I'm certain if I was clearing $200k+ a year, my perspective would be a little bit different.

greg_r

Silly question. Lots of gen ownership here as you will see from the gen wristies thread (which barely scrapes the surface). Reps are the perfect option for those of us who like some variety.

splke

not one I would want to own !

BadPickle

Would suggest the OP assumes that the epitome of wealth and social standing is Rolex....

elp

A few different concepts in your post

a. I don't think this hobby has much to do with "can afford" as you framed the question. I have had about 50 reps pass through my hands, gave me the opportunity to try different styles and designs as a fickle pastime. A few I've kept, most I have sold once they scratched the itch, easy revolving door at rep prices.

b. Like with anything, unless you know what you're doing you should be careful with what / how you invest, from that point of view watches can be on par with art, fine wines, etc.

c. It's all subjective. Whether value or design, the only person you'll have to justify it to is yourself. "Hublot makes really beautiful watch" ....

Bowtie666

Also, for what its worth, I don't think anybody should try and afford a watch.

gavmeister

I have a love of watches, don't really care too much if they are Rep's or Gen's as long as they 'feel like quality'. Depending on your definition of a genuine watch will also vary your perception. I have replica's worth far more than a run of the mill Seiko. But if you were to say that a really high quality gen starts at around $4,000 then it would seem to me to be unfair to compare that watch to a $400 watch replica or genuine (Seiko / Citizen /etc.) and simply if I could get comparable quality for 1/10th of the price - then why not?

Genius

Right now I couldn't

Well I could but not that actual one I want...

I ended up on RWG as I wanted a decent rep whilst I saved up for a gen datejust... Right now I have the cash to buy a gen datejust but the way I currently feel is that I would never buy a gen datejust due to owning a franken datejust which is completely indistinguishable without unscrewing or removing bits.

In the time in which I was saving for the datejust I have spent much much more than I intended to spend on said datejust on many many reps and also some quite pricey gens, so now I have too many watches...

Anyway back to the Rolex... The only Rolex that really interests me as a gen at the moment is actually an 16613 I think I would actually prefer a nice franken but the amount it costs to get one of them right is too far into gen territory... If I sold a few watches I could easily afford it today... But I cant sell the watches, and I'm still not sure I could spend that amount on a watch when it finally came to it

carter23

As mentioned above.. I could buy a gen submariner if I really wanted to.. But id prefer to spend that money on 3 cool reps and building my cars/bicycles up.

Duzza

I've a mixture of the 2 and as Greg says, the reps provide some variety. I can't afford to go out and buy every watch I see in gen form but I can in the rep world.

As mentioned above.. I could buy a gen submariner if I really wanted to.. But id prefer to spend that money on 3 cool reps and building my cars/bicycles up.

3 reps for a sub? Be more like 20.

NCRich

Would suggest the OP assumes that the epitome of wealth and social standing is Rolex....

You got a point or are you just blathering?

I'll admit I don't understand social standing and watches.

BM284

Personally - I could - but I'd rather keep my money invested in something else! And with 0% finance at most luxury watch shops, ownership of what ever watch you want is at your fingertips. I have simple taste and have been lucky enough to pick up my grail gen and a ridiculously good price, but the rep world offers such a wealth of choice, with watches (that most of the time) are indistinguishable from the gen (to 95%of the population) and bring much enjoyment to the wearer :D

As always, wear what you have with enjoyment and in the best of health ;)

carter23
I've a mixture of the 2 and as Greg says, the reps provide some variety. I can't afford to go out and buy every watch I see in gen form but I can in the rep world.

3 reps for a sub? Be more like 20.

Price of a Rolex - price of maintaining an Alfa and a Mercedes = 3 nice APs

NCRich

Personally - I could - but I'd rather keep my money invested in something else! And with 0% finance at most luxury watch shops, ownership of what ever watch you want is at your fingertips. I have simple taste and have been lucky enough to pick up my grail gen and a ridiculously good price, but the rep world offers such a wealth of choice, with watches (that most of the time) are indistinguishable from the gen (to 95%of the population) and bring much enjoyment to the wearer :D

C'mon you know you have champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

BM284

C'mon you know you have champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

Shhhhhhhh.... You said you wouldn't tell :rofl:

ColdFusi0n

I have the same feeling as everyone else.

I purchased my 16613 for $7800 , way before i got to know about franken projects.

So out of curiosity, i went to look up on individual parts online and this is what i found

Genuine Tritium Dial + Hands = $900

Genuine Bazel + Insert = $300

Genuine Date Wheel = $45USD on ebay

Genuine crown = $100?

Genuine Two Tone Bracelet = $1300-$1500 since its half gold

Yuki watch case for 16613 (fits ETA movement) - $238 (in my currency)

Yuki Clone ETA movement = $524 (or i can also get the A2836 movement for less then $300)

So total cost for franken 16613 roughly = $3500 (I save 4300 or more)

If only i knew earlier.

Nickfive

Could I? Yes

Would I? Nope

p-ro

There's a difference between "afford" as in "I have enough money in my bank account for a sub" and "afford" as in "I don't need this money for anything else in the next few years and I won't at all miss it".

I'm in the former but not the latter- mortgages to pay...

Daffy

I always thought I wanted a Rolex. I found out after 3 reps that I didn't. They don't suit me, and aren't MY end all, be all watch. I think that is the whole point of reps, is so that you can do a dry run with multiples (and in some cases HUNDREDS) of reps to figure out what you like, and will wear on a daily basis.

Things I never thought I would like at first have now become a passion, like Panerai. I now like the designs, the history and the heft. :P

I am one of those types who, when they find an author they like, read every book published by them. The same goes with watches. I recently became addicted to the PAM submersibles, so I will probably collect one of each (or as close as I can...). Anything that I can classify as a set, so that I have as many choices available to me for the style.

Ditto with the Navitimers. Design flaws, or quartz movements don't bother me at all. It's the styling and the look that I like. As long as the rep is reasonably close, and isn't glaring from that 5 foot mark, it's fine.

Could I afford a Gen (not just a Rolex as subbie asked) in a Rolex pricing structure or above? Sure, not a worry. Could I afford 40 or 50 of them? No. I could not indulge this love with Gens. So I am extremely happy with my collecting efforts so far, and will continue to do so.

Part of the problem is that once you get on this "Merry Go Round", your definition of your end all, be all watch will change. Constantly. Consistently. So collect reps of everything you think you might like, and some things you don't currently. You might be surprised in a year.

Duzza
I have the same feeling as everyone else.

I purchased my 16613 for $7800 , way before i got to know about franken projects.

So out of curiosity, i went to look up on individual parts online and this is what i found

Genuine Tritium Dial + Hands = $900

Genuine Bazel + Insert = $300

Genuine Date Wheel = $45USD on ebay

Genuine crown = $100?

Genuine Two Tone Bracelet = $1300-$1500 since its half gold

Yuki watch case for 16613 (fits ETA movement) - $238 (in my currency)

Yuki Clone ETA movement = $524 (or i can also get the A2836 movement for less then $300)

So total cost for franken 16613 roughly = $3500 (I save 4300 or more)

If only i knew earlier.

Stick another $500-700 on top of that to get the Yuki serviced and the project put together by a competent watchsmith. The biggest difference being you currently have a watch that's worth every penny you paid for it and probably more, certainly more in years to come. If you'd have gone down the Franken route your watch would currently be worth very little in comparison to your outlay. Typically these projects are sold on repgeek or rwi at a fraction of the build cost. You unknowingly made the much wiser purchase decision.

Baldrick
but since Hublot makes really beautiful watch

:facepalm:

Nuuurse ...............HE'S OUT OF HIS BED... AGAIN !!!

Daffy

Succinct. Subtle. To the point... *golf clap*

but since Hublot makes really beautiful watch

:facepalm:

Nuuurse ...............HE'S OUT OF HIS BED... AGAIN !!!

black263

As soon as I saw this thread, I just knew that the first post was going to be "Can you afford a Rolex, because I can afford two". Going public with your wealth is really bad form young sir. Especially when there are members here who would probably count your wealth as pocket change.