Sign in to follow this  
r0b9502

Rating a replica "Genuine Fake, with Cert Auth!!"

LightGeek
Oh sure, pull out the E-Peen. :)

Kids today won't know what Archie was. Or UUEncode. Or thinking long and hard before attempting a 5-10MB download on a 9600 baud modem.

I think I still have a copy of my old BBS laying around here somewhere. Is Usenet still active?

My first 60KB download was via a 2400bps modem... And it was a shareware copy of PC BOARD to boot! The SYSOP was kind enough for me to tie up his phone line for hours. He did ask if I seriously wanted to download it first :)

philippe123

x

Daffy

Kids today won't know what Archie was. Or UUEncode. Or thinking long and hard before attempting a 5-10MB download on a 9600 baud modem.

I think I still have a copy of my old BBS laying around here somewhere. Is Usenet still active?

My first 60KB download was via a 2400bps modem... And it was a shareware copy of PC BOARD to boot! The SYSOP was kind enough for me to tie up his phone line for hours. He did ask if I seriously wanted to download it first :)

It would have been faster to drive by, hand him a floppy...

elp

I began using the internet when it was still ARPANET (would you believe Google Spellcheck does not recognise the "word"?), before even email existed let alone meme. I have been running message boards and then fora since day one and yet still I have no meme to adequately cover this. The below is as close as I can come:

alphapiomicronrhoiotaalpha_zpspi0bubpa.jpg

funny-gif-Nathan-Fillion-Castle-1.gif

8NWA.gif

There are a number of anomalies in Google spellcheck. If you set up autocorrect, it replaces the correct spelling of gullible, to one with only a single l. (gulible). I thought at first it was an american spelling, but it's not - just a mistake in the spellcheck dictionary.

Are you sure that isn't a joke by Google?

You're so gulible :D

LightGeek

It would have been faster to drive by, hand him a floppy...

If I could drive then!

trailboss99

Heh heh, when I first joined ARPANET we had to log on via a university in Canada from Australia, there was no node here. We ran one of the first practical demonstrations of the service by linking a school in Roxby Downs (pop 220) with a school in Adelaide (pop 400k) so the kids could interact via command line interface. That resulted in the genesis of a project that many years later resulted in The School of the Air transitioning from radio to the internet. To this day it's what I am most proud of achieving even tho my involvement was restricted to the early proof of concept work.

NCRich

So what have we learned here?

TB is old.

Daffy

Heh heh, when I first joined ARPANET we had to log on via a university in Canada from Australia, there was no node here. We ran one of the first practical demonstrations of the service by linking a school in Roxby Downs (pop 220) with a school in Adelaide (pop 400k) so the kids could interact via command line interface. That resulted in the genesis of a project that many years later resulted in The School of the Air transitioning from radio to the internet. To this day it's what I am most proud of achieving even tho my involvement was restricted to the early proof of concept work.

Now that takes me back. Good work.

TB is old.

Yeah, so? A lot of us here are. *mumble* *mumble*

trailboss99

TB is old.

:finger:

Thelittleprince

My head hurts www_MyEmoticons_com__smokelots.gif

GenTLe

Is Usenet still active?

That's a good question. The best motorcycle meetings I did were organised on it.hobby.motociclismo newsgroup...

I took years to get used to forums (let alone Facebook) due to the massive amount of useless stuff (avatars, signatures, graphic elements) which were distracting me from the information and adding a big payload on my bandwidth...

I'm curious to know if there is still traffic on Usenet.

Daffy

I just checked, and it looks like there is still activity. But, (and this is a big butt), it appears that just about every US ISP has tried to kill off usenet.

Not sure I want to pay $10 a month with a year deal just to see what's out there.

The UK guys are in luck:

United Kingdom

ISP

News Server Address

Notes

Abel Internet news.abel.co.uk Abel Support BT Internet None Stopped Usenet Access on December 3, 2014

Consider our Newsbin Recommended News Services Blueyonder news.virginmedia.com Newsgroup Setup (Owned by Virgin Media) Clara.net news.claranews.com Claranet News Demon news.demon.co.uk

news.demon.nl Demon Website

Demon Support (English Version) Eclipse

Internet news.eclipse.co.uk Eclipse Settings LineOne (Tiscali) news.lineone.net LineOne Config nildram

news.nildram.co.uk

mercury.nildram.co.uk nildram Settings NTL (ntlworld) news.virginmedia.com NTL Settings (Owned by Virgin Media) pipex nntp.dsl.pipex.com PIPEX Home (Uses Giganews) pipex homecall news.homecall.co.uk pipex homecall FAQ (uses Tiscali news server running DNEWS). Plus.Net usenet.plus.net Plus.Net Settings Tiscali news.tiscali.co.uk Tiscali Config Virgin news.virginmedia.com Virgin Settings Wanado None Discontinued Usenet Access on March 17, 2006. Signup for a NewsBin Recommended News Server if you want Usenet access. Zen

Internet news.zen.co.uk Zen Settings

r0b9502

Thanks all, for both advise and snark :)

I learnt a lot. And made a decision. Will go for Noob V7 Sub in stainless/black. $358 on TD Perfect Clones. These fellows seem to have the best website.

BTW, by "Noob" I thought you were refering to me!

anfalas

Thanks all, for both advise and snark :)

I learnt a lot. And made a decision. Will go for Noob V7 Sub in stainless/black. $358 on TD Perfect Clones. These fellows seem to have the best website.

BTW, by "Noob" I thought you were refering to me!

All the best mate we will wait with baited breath to see how it scores on your 'authenticity scale'............................. :lmao:

childishthing

I <3 OP's new "Member Title"

onzenuub

Somebody interested in some nice female boobies?

GenTLe
I just checked, and it looks like there is still activity. But, (and this is a big butt), it appears that just about every US ISP has tried to kill off usenet.

Thanks Daffy. Yes here to the service was kind of discontinued years ago from Italian carriers too, but there were still free good servers around (diesel.cu.mi.it if I remember right). It was a niche and probably going to end soon :(

RUSH2112

What scale have we decided on using?

anfalas

What scale have we decided on using?

giveafuckometer-gif.gif

carter23

WTF did I just read?

mysterio

WTF did I just read?

You read NOTHING. Go about your usual day. :)

Daywatch

There is one traditional method and natural indicator:

can-stock-photo_csp14909111.jpg

$40 = can be spotted across the room

$100 = pretty bad

etc.

black263

Why do these entries all appear in bold?

elp

Why do these entries all appear in bold?

T'was aliens

4813.gif