Sign in to follow this  
r0b9502

Rating a replica "Genuine Fake, with Cert Auth!!"

r0b9502

Hopefully this is the right thread...

Wouldn't it be nice if a member of the general public gets an idea of the "authenticity" of a replica? !! :) Shall we rather call it quality of manufacture?

Such as, being identifiable as a replica by an "expert" under circumstances as below, with ranking:

0: Can be recognized as replica from 10' away

1: 2' away

2: if timepiece is held in palm and inspected it for a few minutes

3: need a loupe for inspection

4: need to remove backcover(?), inspect internal mechanism or otherwise disassemble and inspect with or without magnification

5: All else failing, need to authenticate serial number or referring to databases, or "if" there is a lifetime guarantee, sending the replica back to manufacturer for repairs or replacement. LoL

I am new member - posted related question on a different thread and members asked me to research Noob page. But I cant find answer looking at all the links.

My question is: for a replica I want to acquire and inspect, I would like to get a feeling of rating as defined above. Of course, I understand that for replicas there is no NGC, PCGS etc etc. Hahaha.

BTW: moderators, please feel free to move post to right segment if I have this in wrong one

rawbaws

My head hurts

Mazz

My head hurts

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

RepGuy

Replica "experts"?

Replica rating systems?

Good lord man, these are reps we're talking about

Daffy

Thank you, Doctor McCoy!

ShovelnTC

This has already been done, just read the TD's descriptions, they never exaggerate :giggle:

r0b9502

Ok Sir - will contact TD and ask him exactly the same and to rate it himself "honor" system

rawbaws

Ok Sir - will contact TD and ask him exactly the same and to rate it himself "honor" system

Oh lord.

r0b9502

rawbaws, could you elaborate on "Oh lord" ????

Mine is a legit question ... I want to know how good a fake is before I buy!

rawbaws

Best advice I can give you is to -

1.) Take a deep breath

2.) Stop posting topics for a while

3.) Do a few days worth of reading on here

4.) decide if reps are for you

5.) If the answer to the above is yes, place an order

6.) Don't ask the TD's to rate their watch on your scale of authenticity...

r0b9502

Deep breath done

Ok

Ok will do

Yep, for curiosity sake!

Ok

(6) but how would I get an idea?

Daffy

Best advice I can give you is to -

1.) Take a deep breath

2.) Stop posting topics for a while

3.) Do a few days worth of reading on here

4.) decide if reps are for you

5.) If the answer to the above is yes, place an order

6.) Don't ask the TD's to rate their watch on your scale of authenticity...

The TD's job is to sell watches. ALL of his products will be A++++ quality, if you get my drift. He's picked them out from the factory offerings, and invested a lot of time and money in his business.

It's YOUR job to read, learn, and to gather enough knowledge and experience to be able to tell the differences in watches you like. Relying on ANYONE to supply you with all the answers "free of charge" is not going to work out well for you. Unless, that is, you are interested in Panerai and you read Ale's guide like it is the Bible.

r0b9502
:) - yep I get the drift

rawbaws

Deep breath done

Ok

Ok will do

Yep, for curiosity sake!

Ok

See point 3 about reading.

rawbaws

:-)

WELCOME!!?

Mazz

Deep breath done

Ok

Ok will do

Yep, for curiosity sake!

Ok

See point 3 about reading.

exactly

r0b9502

Ok guys - dont berate me on homework not done, or not done well enough. Will do so if necessary, have always done so. :)

Free answers (?) are better than studied answers

Daffy

Free answers (?) are better than studied answers

In a lot of cases, but not usually with reps. All reps have some flaws, and this is where you have to decide if you can live with the flaws for a particular piece.

You're not going to find many "back door gens" that are identical to the normal watches.

The point is: This game is completely subjective to YOU, and what you like (or can at the very least live with). These are not decisions that others can make for you, unless you just aren't that into watches in the first place. There are a lot of these types that blow through here, and next door at RWI. They just want "the best sub", and mosey on down the internet once they have purchased something.

r0b9502

K Daffy - to answer I am not that much into watches., Never worn a watch for a considerable period (more than a week continuous in my life). Am thinking of wearing an Apple watch to monitor my heart rate, steps etc. But am from a generation where watch is a status symbol. Superfluous though. Jewelry, so to speak

fatarms

Serious answer is that all of this is covered in the reviews for each watch brand. It really does take time while reading this forum. I'm a person who will tell noobs to read her for 2-3 weeks before buying anything, but I didn't follow my own advice and bought a seconds at 6 daytona right off the bat. It's a timebomb, and if I'd read, I would've known that.

As long as your income that you're spending on reps is disposable, buy what appeals to you and learn by either reading or experience. The more valuable of the two learning methods is patience and research here in the review threads. You'll gain knowledge in both the hardware of the watch and how accurate it is as well as the problems that can arise with various movements. Keep in mind that you can buy the best hardware and movement, and still have problems with the watches, albeit a rarity, they do happen. With that tolerance in mind, remember that these are reps and not meant to function and perform as the gens do.

dfq23

It's a rolex sub you're interested in isn't it?

It's always a rolex sub....

r0b9502

still - no confirmative answer - looked into link above, answer is "no", but to what degree? How? What? ... :)

A Rolex sub is a nice bling watch. Gold! Yep other watches will not elicit much suspicion.

ShovelnTC

I think you missed my sarcastic intent, contact the TD's with that question and expect to be ignored.