Sign in to follow this  
Jaymelia

Time is here... Birthday Gen

purger72

I purchased rep from Mary off this Yachtmaster last week, should be here this week.

Maybe you need to take up on Rollies advice and vist watch stores , try what you like, chat with the sales man or woman and se if you can get best off in terms value holding and style you like on your wrist.

Dilema for you is and probably for most on here once you dip in to replicas its hard to just go and buy gen.

What if after a week you dont want it any more,...?

That VC is beautiful but it may be to dressy for you. I would go with Yachtmaster gen and get gmt rep .... hmmm or maybe other way.... to hard

Jibuti

some PAM instead? 372?

cogwatch

Having just gotten my grail a couple of months ago, a Platinum Dial YachtMaster (116622, the newer version), I'd have to go with that!!

As mentioned above, your YM pic is of the Rhodium dial. The Platinum Dial has been discontinued, replaced by the new Rhodium dial version. The Blue Dial is nice, the Rhodium Dial is nice, but to me the Platinum Dial is and always will be THE YachtMaster!! And I think since it is now discontinued, the Platinum Dial should hold it's value pretty well. Though that doesn't matter to me as it's a permanent keeper.....

Having had it for about 2 months now, I can tell you that it's absolutely awesome. Classic, beautiful, comfortable. I would have to say that if all of my watches had to go, it would probably be last on the list.

IMG_1505_zpsqzkuh0eu.jpg

anfalas

Having just gotten my grail a couple of months ago, a Platinum Dial YachtMaster (116622, the newer version), I'd have to go with that!!

As mentioned above, your YM pic is of the Rhodium dial. The Platinum Dial has been discontinued, replaced by the new Rhodium dial version. The Blue Dial is nice, the Rhodium Dial is nice, but to me the Platinum Dial is and always will be THE YachtMaster!! And I think since it is now discontinued, the Platinum Dial should hold it's value pretty well. Though that doesn't matter to me as it's a permanent keeper.....

Having had it for about 2 months now, I can tell you that it's absolutely awesome. Classic, beautiful, comfortable. I would have to say that if all of my watches had to go, it would probably be last on the list.

IMG_1505_zpsqzkuh0eu.jpg

A beauty for sure :)

To be honest if I was throwing £8-9k at a gen I'd buy the reps of the shortlisted ones (assuming there's good ones available), live with them a while and then decide which is 'the one'

Jaymelia

IMG_1505_zpsqzkuh0eu.jpg

A beauty for sure :)

To be honest if I was throwing £8-9k at a gen I'd buy the reps of the shortlisted ones (assuming there's good ones available), live with them a while and then decide which is 'the one'

I have reps of both the GMT and the VC...

Had the GMT first and it was nevernoff my wrist (despite having an original LMPO, Modded V3 sub, TF AP 15400 and a few other odds and sods..) as sson as the VC landed nothing else has come out the box...

I wear the VC day in day out...

In terms of YM, ive pretty much discounted it for now.. too much shiny silveryishness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoW13
Im really torn now, just found this on chrono24 for just shy of £9k....

777c7c7851b2011acff34f946939d2d1.jpg

Sorry to say, but this is one of the most unbalanced watches I've ever seen. For me, there is just so much wrong with this watch...

I'd go for first the BLNR, than the VC. The YM doesn't do anything for me.

Someone brought up Panerai. How about a 233? ;)

Thelittleprince

Vacheron!!!

Stevestown

VC all the way!

Cdevil

VC, but the service costs are a huge downside.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

purger72

Buy another rep of the gen you thinking and see how you go with that. If after 2 weeks you still love it go get same gen. Its easyer to sell new rep than a new gen .

964boy

has to be the Rolex GMT-IIc 116710 BLNR

James.

Id buy the VC (new model in white)

In your sig you already have a rep sub and gmt so it's nothing new. The YM is stunning in person but atm expensive for what it is.

Alternatively you can wait to see what comes out at sihh in Jan. I just turned 30 and am doing the same (waiting for sihh) whilst also being on a few wait lists for a 15202 and 5711.

Speaking of which, you should consider availability of what you want too, not much of an issue with the rollies but here in OZ at least those VC and fkin hard to find

dave47

Afternoon all,

So Ive just turned 30 (yesterday), and having promised myself i would, i now have the dilemma of picking a Gen to buy myself.

So why the post... need some input...

I have vaguely narrowed it down to the following:

1. Rolex GMT-IIc 116710 BLNR -£6.5k

773CDC20-8F5E-4F3A-8C29-F815F01B7210_zpsxln5lq0a.jpg

2. Rolex Yachtmaster 116662 Rolesium 2016 - £8.5k

7A9B05AB-EFFE-40F1-A0F8-0D23422C6D40_zpsu8lusk9h.jpg

3. Vacheron Constantin Overseas Deepstream £8.5-9k

ffda7cced2710a22a0b2d63fc9b15a72.jpg

I know this is up to me, personal taste etc. But would also like your thoughts on why i should/shouldnt go for a particular watch in your opinions.

My thoughts so far are:

GMT BLNR - can i justify it considering there are some seriously good reps (especially with the new CHS version thats now out from Noob). I must say as well having tried on a LN, which i have a rep of, i didnt get that feel of extra quality etc that i would expect for the extra £6k!

Yachtmaster - as above, however perhaps less so in terms of the reps replication of the platinum bezel and rolesium dial. So more justification for getting the gen. tried this gen on as well and it had a slightly better feel to it than the GMT.

VC - less common brand but i see this as a positive. Rep'd less well than rolex. Perhaps wont hold value... not yet tried a gen, but the rep which i know isnt the best, still feels good...

So, yer, hit me with your thoughts

Cheers

Jay

(1). Happy Birthday!! Here's to many more (CLINK!)

(2). #2: Gray dialed Yachtie because it's new, it looks exquisite, and it's RIVETING!!

dave

Jaymelia

Next question....

If you were buying the VC, which of the below would you go for:

1. 3yr old watch with no confirmation of service

2. 6 year old watch with a full service undertaken in the last 2 months by VC

Prices are almost the same...

Go

10:10 Watch Repair

Next question....

Go

3 YO with no service is nothing to be worried about.

Jaymelia

Next question....

Go

3 YO with no service is nothing to be worried about.

But is it better/worse than 6 y/o with a recent service?

But is it better/worse than 6 y/o with a recent service?

IMO better. But that's only because the watchmaker at VC could have left a tool mark. It's inevitable even with factory service, but if you're never going to take it apart, it's probably a non issue.

Jaymelia

The dilemma continues... what would you choose if the price was the same...

1. Dual time - preowned

ddd96d5097e3a4a80bebabdac5bd3f6e.jpg

2. Standard watch - new...

50ce3a5adbcfb5625cae15ee607a2420.jpg

Duzza

Vacheron are gonna bust you a new arsehole every time it needs a service. That would be a huge turn off for me, especially as the watch itself is likely to depreciate quite badly. I wouldn't normally care about service costs but VC are ludicrous.

I'd go for the Batman.

Jaymelia
Vacheron are gonna bust you a new arsehole every time it needs a service. That would be a huge turn off for me, especially as the watch itself is likely to depreciate quite badly. I wouldn't normally care about service costs but VC are ludicrous.

I'd go for the Batman.

I know what youre saying. But even Rolex are asking £500 for a service nowadays, so whats a couple of hundred quid more....

GoW13

"Standard" VC. As said before, the dual time is way to unbalanced (for me)

Jaymelia
"Standard" VC. As said before, the dual time is way to unbalanced (for me)

I think i may be coming to the same conclusion as you. Albeit perhaps not so much from an aesthetic perspective.

i suppose ive got to consider...

GMT function - would i ever use it, but really use it i mean - likely not. The only time i ever have to balance any sort of dual time is on vacation... and its not like the arithmetic is hard...

PR - nice to have - but i'd probably wear this constantly, so its likely to turn into an indicator of how long ive been sat around all day, or the opposite... rather than having any real use.

Day/night indicator.... could always look out the window i suppose...

20Footer

I do throughly enjoy Chronographs and other multifunction watches but the lack of any symmetry kinda detracts from the dual time. (Unbalanced) I think you could dress up or dress down the 3 hand VC. From a practical standpoint if these units are so damn expensive to service then how much more will the dual time be when things go haywire? Also, if you have the Rep already...wear the rep most of the time and the Gen when you need to or want to. Save wear and tear?

In the end you have to be happy as always no one on here can help with that. But I do understand sometimes these "mental gymnastics" can help! Best of luck. All are Great watches.

Standard.

And why only consider VC for service?

Jaymelia
Standard.

And why only consider VC for service?

I wouldnt necessarily go to VC, that why im not so bothered by their servicing costs