Sign in to follow this  
Jaymelia

Time is here... Birthday Gen

Jaymelia

Afternoon all,

So Ive just turned 30 (yesterday), and having promised myself i would, i now have the dilemma of picking a Gen to buy myself.

So why the post... need some input...

I have vaguely narrowed it down to the following:

1. Rolex GMT-IIc 116710 BLNR -£6.5k

773CDC20-8F5E-4F3A-8C29-F815F01B7210_zpsxln5lq0a.jpg

2. Rolex Yachtmaster 116662 Rolesium 2016 - £8.5k

7A9B05AB-EFFE-40F1-A0F8-0D23422C6D40_zpsu8lusk9h.jpg

3. Vacheron Constantin Overseas Deepstream £8.5-9k

ffda7cced2710a22a0b2d63fc9b15a72.jpg

I know this is up to me, personal taste etc. But would also like your thoughts on why i should/shouldnt go for a particular watch in your opinions.

My thoughts so far are:

GMT BLNR - can i justify it considering there are some seriously good reps (especially with the new CHS version thats now out from Noob). I must say as well having tried on a LN, which i have a rep of, i didnt get that feel of extra quality etc that i would expect for the extra £6k!

Yachtmaster - as above, however perhaps less so in terms of the reps replication of the platinum bezel and rolesium dial. So more justification for getting the gen. tried this gen on as well and it had a slightly better feel to it than the GMT.

VC - less common brand but i see this as a positive. Rep'd less well than rolex. Perhaps wont hold value... not yet tried a gen, but the rep which i know isnt the best, still feels good...

So, yer, hit me with your thoughts

Cheers

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jaymelia

n18lld

Like the VC

Realism

VC service cost is a bitch... it's more than even PP

tomtom1988

Overseas if you can afford it, but as the other poster said I know first hand service costs are high, my uncle paid 900 gbp and it took ages, If money is no issue I'd go for the VC anyday, if not that GMT looks stunning

ROLIE

Happy belated birthday jay.....

I like the VC also mate ....

But get yourself out and if you have a certain budget try all sorts on and then decide which you like the most and one that's going to hold its value .......

GenTLe

They are all repped. Well repped actually. Therefore I'd go for something totally different and not repped.

For example a 36600 bph El Primero like this classy one: https://monochrome-watches.com/hands-on-review-zenith-el-primero-410-triple-calendar-moonphase-chronograph-price/

Zenith-El-Primero-410-Triple-Calendar-and-MoonPhase-Chronograph-8.jpg

Jaymelia
Happy belated birthday jay.....

I like the VC also mate ....

But get yourself out and if you have a certain budget try all sorts on and then decide which you like the most and one that's going to hold its value .......

Cheers mate, i know the GMT is going to hold its value at least in the short term until the blue/black craze dies down...

The Yachtmaster im not so sure about... i think its probably more likely to hold value long term?

The VC i think will hold or depreciate slowly if i get it for that price, but the problem is the prices seem to be a little sporadic...

I must say the GMT seems to be the sensible choice, cheapest of the 3, will hold value well etc.

But... the Yachtmaster just has something about it (and i could have bought it there and then, instead of waiting 6 months+ for the GMT), and its slightly less common.

The VC, well its just special. but it comes with the daft servicing costs and the fact that i dont think itll hold its value as well as a rolly...

Jaymelia
They are all repped. Well repped actually. Therefore I'd go for something totally different and not repped.

For example a 36600 bph El Primero like this classy one: https://monochrome-watches.com/hands-on-review-zenith-el-primero-410-triple-calendar-moonphase-chronograph-price/

Zenith-El-Primero-410-Triple-Calendar-and-MoonPhase-Chronograph-8.jpg

That is nice mate, but a little on the dressy side for me...

I had ventured a look at IWCs but nothing floated my boat for the cost level i have/had in mind

Nickfive

Happy birthday mate, for me it would be the batman alllll dayyyy looonnnggggg.

Lucky sod :)

NFleischer

I'm tempted with the VC also. Super classy piece not seen often. Can't go wrong with Batman the YM a bit blingy

for my taste. Definitely a luxury problem to have.

Andylaw1919

I love the YM

Genius

Gmt2c but if you are budgeting 6.5 you only need to add an extra £800 to get a two tone which sounds be my choice over the batman

Jaymelia
Gmt2c but if you are budgeting 6.5 you only need to add an extra £800 to get a two tone which sounds be my choice over the batman

I know, but im one of those people that look an idiot with gold watches on!

Moondustesp

Batman ;) all day long

Simms

Even though Rolex is so heavily REPPED and everyone will assume it's a fake anyways, who cares! That being said, I'd go for the YM. It's good to have at least one gen of that caliber in the collection. It's something you can pass on to your kid later on. I bought a Milguass a couple of years ago and although I rarely wear it, I don't regret the decision.

Good luck with the decision

zufir

I'm leaning towards the GMT or YM but because I dislike the grey dial, I'd go towards the batman for the contrast of colors. Can't go wrong with GMTs.

Edited by zufir

SamsonAusKognito

I would choose number 2 :) but it's hard cause they're all three very beautiful watches

anfalas

YM for me .......stunning piece it is. Will be picking up a rep of it at some point..... ;)

Walesy

I am not a Rolex Fan, but the first one is stunning!

Mr_B

I'm with Genius, a two tone would be a great way to go, especially as you can't get a real gold rep.

reximda

The Batman is a personal grail for me.... So that.

simonbolivar

GMT all the way... ceramic bezel is a screaming tell, and rep factories will never get it right

Jaymelia

Im really torn now, just found this on chrono24 for just shy of £9k....

777c7c7851b2011acff34f946939d2d1.jpg

childishthing

YM Rhodium, and get the oldest serial number you can. That's my favorite and most likely to hold more of it's value. Gorgeous watch.

I know you said Rolesium, but you showed a picture of the Rhodium.

Moondustesp

Oh yeah happy Birthday