Sign in to follow this  
boneyjr

Franken project begins

boneyjr

Ok - close up pics of whats going on with the 7750 movement of a Skyland compared to the broken 7750 movement of the Super Avenger. Is it possible to take the palet from the skyland and put it on the super avenger?

DSC01679.jpg

DSC01683.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01682.jpg

Wiz

As I said on RWI, Anyone remembers if that "pusher" is riveted or press fitted?

MikeMcNair

Press fitted, as it can be removed and reinstalled, but not easily.

Also, those pix don't look "bad" just improper. Are the parts missing (I'm on my phone and can't see well) or just not in the expected position ?

See, the 7750 MUST be fully assembled in one, and only ONE way, if one part is off, everything is off (referring to 7750 w/chrono function)

Too many clutch/yoke/spring/gears to be manipulated, if not set perfect the first time, will NEvER work from there on out. This isn't grandma's 6497 ;)

gottahaverolex
The gen bezel is slightly larger than the rep. It attaches by tightening the bezel screws which compress an aluminum wire. The screws are too short on the gen to work with the rep.
Actually there is a way to make it work, you have to make a new wire. I failed to do it myself so I asked an orthodontist friend to do one for me, and after a few modifications it worked. The bezel is a bit harder to turn than it is on a gen breitling, but it's working.

Or get new slightly longer screws.

I've read totally different info on this and am now confused! Almost every post I've seen says that the gen screws are LONGER than the rep screws and will stick out from the bezel slightly further than the rep screws. Also read that the gen bezel, when accompanied with the gen spring and ratchet rings are a perfect fit for a V3 SA. Hmm.... super confused

The post I read:

"the case is a 1:1 fit, all you do is press the Gen bezel, screw down, and you're done. although the GEN screws are a little longer than then replica screws, so they'll stick out of the side of the bezel a little."

Wiz

Press fitted, as it can be removed and reinstalled, but not easily.

Also, those pix don't look "bad" just improper. Are the parts missing (I'm on my phone and can't see well) or just not in the expected position ?

See, the 7750 MUST be fully assembled in one, and only ONE way, if one part is off, everything is off (referring to 7750 w/chrono function)

Too many clutch/yoke/spring/gears to be manipulated, if not set perfect the first time, will NEvER work from there on out. This isn't grandma's 6497 ;)

You mean like when starting the chrono stops the gear train...?

Wiz
The gen bezel is slightly larger than the rep. It attaches by tightening the bezel screws which compress an aluminum wire. The screws are too short on the gen to work with the rep.
Actually there is a way to make it work, you have to make a new wire. I failed to do it myself so I asked an orthodontist friend to do one for me, and after a few modifications it worked. The bezel is a bit harder to turn than it is on a gen breitling, but it's working.

I've read totally different info on this and am now confused! Almost every post I've seen says that the gen screws are LONGER than the rep screws and will stick out from the bezel slightly further than the rep screws. Also read that the gen bezel, when accompanied with the gen spring and ratchet rings are a perfect fit for a V3 SA. Hmm.... super confused

The gen screws are longer indeed, just not long enough when it comes to fitting the bezel on a V3 rep.

I did one just last week so I'm pretty confident saying it's not a perfect fit. :)

boneyjr

what a friggin headache!!

gottahaverolex

The gen screws are longer indeed, just not long enough when it comes to fitting the bezel on a V3 rep.

I did one just last week so I'm pretty confident saying it's not a perfect fit. :)

I believe you Wiz, i'm just trying to gain all the knowledge I can before I start work on this thing.

If the gen spring is used does it fit easier?

Wiz

The gen spring is of no use if you keep the same screws.

You've got cls approach of keeping the gen spring and getting longer screws, or mine, keeping the screws and making a new spring.

gottahaverolex

You've got cls approach of keeping the gen spring and getting longer screws, or mine, keeping the screws and making a new spring.

Ok, thanks mate. I appreciate the help. I'm always looking to learn from guys like you and CLS. I admire the amount of knowldege you both have.

Wiz

Ok, thanks mate. I appreciate the help. I'm always looking to learn from guys like you and CLS. I admire the amount of knowldege you both have.

No worries mate, just be very carefull when removing the rep bezel. :)

boneyjr

No worries mate. :)

Group hug! :)

gottahaverolex

Haha! You dick! ;)

10:10 Watch Repair

Did you had any luck finding some with the correct thread, head size/shape and lenght?

I figured out the wire option would be the simplest but your solution might be even easier.

Ofrei has miniature screws with the right shape head. I am still working out the details. They're brass so I am going to plate them, as long as the thread is close, I can retap. I tried a new wire, but couldn't get it to work.

Wiz

Did you had any luck finding some with the correct thread, head size/shape and lenght?

I figured out the wire option would be the simplest but your solution might be even easier.

Ofrei has miniature screws with the right shape head. I am still working out the details. They're brass so I am going to plate them, as long as the thread is close, I can retap. I tried a new wire, but couldn't get it to work.

Aren't you afraid the plating is going to fade? There must be a way to find correct ss screws somewhere on the planet. :)

The wire option took us quite a few tries, but once you have figured out the right angles it's fine.

boneyjr

well i also ordered a gen click spring in case it is needed...

kolchak

where did you order all the gen parts from boney? curious what total cost will be when finished.

altaaf

Yes where do you order genuine Breitling parts from please^ ?

boneyjr

Got everything from eBay. Dial = 250, Bezel = 100, Hands = 45, spring = 34. The rep watch was 295.

kolchak

thanks - hope projest comes off.

when compare the rep parts to the gen parts, which rep parts did you think were worst / best?

boneyjr

i won't know until its all together.. but the watchsmith laughed at me when i showed him the gen bezel.. it is really similar to the rep. I told him the lume would be better, and he said, "So you plan on doing much work in the dark?" hahaha