Sign in to follow this  
boneyjr

Franken project begins

boneyjr

So for my franken, I am starting with a V3 black dial Super Avenger. And when all is said and done, this will have a gen white dial (numerals), gen hands, gen bezel and gen brown calfskin strap with white stitching.

The rep watch arrived today and within 2 hours stopped working. You can imagine how pissed I was. After taking a look at the movement I noticed that there was a tiny little piece of metal in the balance wheel (see pics below). I have no idea what it is -- maybe one of you will. In any event, once removed, the watch is running well.

The gen parts are on their way. Hopefully the work should be done within the next two weeks. Pictures to come!

DSC01660.jpg

DSC01659.jpg

32e59b2b.jpg

DSC01664.jpg

DSC01662.jpg

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01671.jpg

DSC01668.jpg

DSC01672.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

10:10 Watch Repair

Is that part of the hack stop?

hard to tell.

boneyjr

your guess is as good as mine... (acutally, your guess is probably better)

Cynikal.Mindset

have fun with that bezel

kwatch

I'm excited to see this unfold, be sure to post pics as your are going though this.....good luck!

boneyjr

have fun with that bezel

well its not going to be me doing the modding... sooooo... don't scare me

HWG

Dude it's gonna look awesome when it's done. Nice choice! I think that metal piece is a movement holding tab. It may have been an extra, or it came loose. Hold on to it if it's needed once the project has begun!

gottahaverolex

It's too big to be a movement holder tab. And there's no hole in it for a screw. That was my first thought too Dave.

Gazillionaire

I wish i could mod, damn would be nice, i have trouble changing straps ;) Good luck with your Project Boney :thumbsup2:

powderfreak

That's a seriously cool watch - one day I should try a V3 Avenger.... btw, yours has quite decent lume dots. Are they all like yours on the V3s?

boneyjr

I wish i could mod, damn would be nice, i have trouble changing straps ;) Good luck with your Project Boney :thumbsup2:

wish i could mod too! instead, i beg Rich to do it for me :)

gottahaverolex

No begging needed bro, always happy to help. BTW,the bezel is easy peasy. Twist clockwise while gripping firmly and pull up at the same time. POP! she's off ;)

boneyjr

so apparently the piece of metal is the palet of one of the pushers... how critical is this??

Wiz

so apparently the piece of metal is the palet of one of the pushers... how critical is this??

Sorry I translated from French, in English I think the correct description would be "the palet of the operating lever".

What happens when you push the start/stop pusher? And the reset pusher?

Wiz
BTW,the bezel is easy peasy. Twist clockwise while gripping firmly and pull up at the same time. POP! she's off ;)

Be carefull what you're taking off. ;)

Also, will it be your first time fitting a gen bezel on a V3?

boneyjr

Sorry I translated from French, in English I think the correct description would be "the palet of the operating lever".

I am not sure because i am don't want to make things worse!

Wiz

I am not sure because i am don't want to make things worse!

You can try pressing the pushers, no worries, just press gently.

Cynikal.Mindset

No begging needed bro, always happy to help. BTW,the bezel is easy peasy. Twist clockwise while gripping firmly and pull up at the same time. POP! she's off ;)

and doing that takes off the whole crystal/bezel/rotating ring assembly...then you have the get the bezel and crystal off that assembly...then you gotta machine rotating ring to accept the bezel and somehow get it all to work together when done...its not an easy as pie job sadly

The gen bezel is slightly larger than the rep. It attaches by tightening the bezel screws which compress an aluminum wire. The screws are too short on the gen to work with the rep.

Wiz is right, that definitely looks like part of a chrono operating lever.

Wiz

The gen bezel is slightly larger than the rep. It attaches by tightening the bezel screws which compress an aluminum wire. The screws are too short on the gen to work with the rep.

Actually there is a way to make it work, you have to make a new wire.

I failed to do it myself so I asked an orthodontist friend to do one for me, and after a few modifications it worked. The bezel is a bit harder to turn than it is on a gen breitling, but it's working.

Actually there is a way to make it work, you have to make a new wire. I failed to do it myself so I asked an orthodontist friend to do one for me, and after a few modifications it worked. The bezel is a bit harder to turn than it is on a gen breitling, but it's working.

Or get new slightly longer screws.

boneyjr

oh boy. who knew this was going to be such a pain in the ass! I am remaining positive. And i am contacting the seller about returning the watch.

Wiz
Actually there is a way to make it work, you have to make a new wire. I failed to do it myself so I asked an orthodontist friend to do one for me, and after a few modifications it worked. The bezel is a bit harder to turn than it is on a gen breitling, but it's working.

Or get new slightly longer screws.

Did you had any luck finding some with the correct thread, head size/shape and lenght?

I figured out the wire option would be the simplest but your solution might be even easier.

Wiz

oh boy. who knew this was going to be such a pain in the ass! I am remaining positive. And i am contacting the seller about returning the watch.

I'm yet to find a Franken project that goes smoothly. :)

Wiz

I believe "cls" is in the US, you can contact him about replacing the operating lever.