Sign in to follow this  
James.

Telling people your rep is a gen

Realism
u got receipt for your reps James?

?? X

are you the only James here?

Omegabond007

I always say it's a rep. Most of my friends are curious and can't believe they are reps so they want to look at them. I usually use my reps to 'trial' a watch and have ended up buying the gen of 4-5 reps that I once owned and loved. I look at it as a way to enjoy many watches and determine what ones I think are 'must haves' at a much cheaper price then just buying all gens. No reason to pretend otherwise.

DG335

I suggest you all have a large Jameson's , preferably the 33 year old and start knitting

Calcidose
Being a liar is a choice but you can't tell the truth to everyone ! Wearing a rep in not allowed.
No laws in my country to prevent you owning or wearing a replica of anything.

In my country, it's forbidden.

Nnilswerdna

There is only one other guy here in this office who is into his watches.

When he interviewed me he immediately commented on the watch I was wearing – at the time it was a Franken PO. So I told him it was a gen (white lie if you will)

Since I’ve got to know him more we’ve talked openly about watches, I’ve come clean that my watch then - and every one since - is a rep.

His interest towards mirroring an expensive watch for 1/10th of the price is far greater than if I said my SO Abyss is gen.

In short – he is far more impressed with this hobby and the opportunity to own something great for little money. He’s even ended up buying a few reps from Angus over at PT.

Most folk think the be all and end all of a fake watch tell is a ticking seconds hand.

What I’ve also discovered is that Joe Public really doesn’t care about that beautiful 8500 or 3120 calibre movement in your AP or Omega.

The thought of lusting and finally owning a gen that has a sustainable selling value…. They care about the initial COST, and in doing so label you.

You’re either the cunt who paid £9k for an Audemars during a global crisis, or you’re the cheap idiot in the £200 “fake” when you can get a Tag Heuer Carrera from Goldsmiths on finance for £100 a month.

In my experience – you are damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t. I rarely speak about my watches to other people.

Edited by Nnilswerdna

dfq23

Serious question time. Is it considered worse to wear a rep watch or to wear an accurist or rotary specifically made to look like another more expensive watch to appeal to buyers because of this. At least the rep is being honest about what it is I guess.

This can't be a serious question, surely? Let's see then....

You can walk into virtually any high-street jewellers/department store/catalogue shop and legally buy an Accurist or Rotary, or you can order them online from anywhere in the world without fear of them being seized by Customs. However, reps are illegal copies of expensive watches that are made in China by "factories" controlled by people who you wouldn't want to seriously upset and are continually at risk of being seized and destroyed by Customs.

And you described reps as being honest? :rofl:

Lol! Let me word it better. is it better to be upfront that yep your watch is a fake or hide behind a "brand" facsimile of the same watch (build quality and lack of pubes in the movement excepted of course)

"Nice watch. Bet it's a fake rolex!"

"Ah actually it's a real davosa!"

Edited by dfq23

J!m

The rare compliment I have received has been on my Planet Ocean (which is Gen). Usually it is limited to "nice watch!" and I reply with "thank you!".

If I wear my rep 5517, no one even notices it. Why? Because it is what I call the "blingless wonder"- it goes unnoticed, regardless of the fact that a gen of that watch would be ~$20,000. ONLY a hard core watch geek would have the slightest clue what it is.

My Gen Tag Heuer did get some compliments in the early 90's, when it was a bit nicer looking- usually the comments were "your watch has stopped!" because the central seconds hand does not move unless the stopwatch is running...

I suspect I will get some comments when/if I ever get my TC 16610- that has some 'bling' to it, and will attract more attention. My 5512 may get some comments since I am not planning to beat the snot out of that case, and it will be on a bracelet rather than a NATO strap.

The bottom line is, I never misrepresent any of my watches. I AM proud of the fact that I essentially built (and rebuilt) my 5517 if anyone cares; however I have never, and never will pass it off as a genuine Rolex 5517. If for no other reason, just to keep from being mugged over the damn thing!

fana05

I tell everyone my reps are gen and change my watches often to never miss an opportunity to rub it into their faces how filthy rich I am

Paul-H

Only ever had one comment and that was whilst wearing a 45mm orange bezel PO.

"Nice PO"

"Thanks"

End of conversation.

Realism
I tell everyone my reps are gen and change my watches often to never miss an opportunity to rub it into their faces how filthy rich I am

because they friggin believe you :rofl:

dfq23

1146231_R_Z002A_UC1518819_zps7e540d8a.jpg

This watch has a 3 year warranty, was built in a probably slightly less opressive Chinese factory, is quartz so reliable and can be picked up from the high street

0ebe95641b78300c2104744dda4ed69aimage160x120_zps0b2bf553.jpg

This watch has a movement that will probably die after 6 months, chronographs you will never dare use, built in factories using questionable practices by people with dodgy ethics and can only be purchased by sending money to someone you have never met halfway across the world based on trust that they will send it....

But it has Tag on the dial and it is an automatic.... WINNER!!!!!

To most people they will be exactly the same and both cost the same roughly

Edited by dfq23

Realism

^ I guess you wear True Religions jeans too because of the price tag?

Libertatia

Friends and fam know my reps.... Other people can guess, fuck em

dfq23

^ I guess you wear True Religions jeans too because of the price tag?

Never heard of em. George at asda more me

vlarn

Q "Is that real?"

A "Yes, it is a real watch and tells time"

That's all they need to know. :giggle:

Cannibal

Just tell 'em it's a used movie prop. :)

nygiants

- 90% of people say "nice watch" and I say "thanks"

- 05% of people say "nice watch. where did you get it?" and I say, "thanks, the internet"

- 05% of people say "nice watch. I used to have x, y, z.....blah, blah, blah" and I just sit and listen.

Moral of the story: people either don't know, don't care or only think of themselves. I think this prob applies to most things in life.

I've never been asked if one of my watches was fake or real. I don't think most people have the sack to ask that question. It's kind of the equaivalent of walking up to a chick and asking if her boobs are fake. Personally, I don't care if they're nice to look at.

StormyNight

The only time I've ever been "questioned" over "authenticity" was when I tried to sell my Gen 5512 via Instagram and a "know-it-all" professional footballer insisted he knew best and it was "110% fake"

Dickhead.

onionbag

I know no-one.

A stranger is unlikely to quiz me as the phrase 'swivel-eyed' could have been coined with me in mind.........

lperdido

In the real real world, people don't ask about your watch. They might say "nice watch" or such like, but most people are unaware of manufacturers except tag, rolex and omega.

I think when most people think of high end watches, they think of Rolex... so they may question the authenticity of a Rolex, but not that of other watches. People constantly look at my Pam 89 and try to figure out what it is, but say nothing. If someone says "Nice watch" I say thanks. If someones says "what kind of watch is that?" I say it is a replica of a Panerai, an Italian watch. My friends know my watches are reps and they like them. What is more important, is that I like them and wear them proudly.

ramliver1

Seriously guys, PAMs aren't that expensive, you can gens ALL day on Paneristi and Ebay from $3800-$4500. I bought a 005 with triple box and papers for $3200.

myaz

I made it a point to say this one cost 30K and that one cost even more, etc., etc. I then sat back and totally enjoyed the husband racing over to his wife to say that I own a 30 or 50K watch and if I have one he should have one too. My Mrs., well she called me an evil bastard for doing this but always added, a very loveable evil bastard :)

:lmao2: You evil bastard!!! You'll have contemptuous hell to pay if they find out the truth but some moments in life are well worth the consequences. Priceless!

The only time I'm concerned about wearing a rep is when a salesman is involved. Normally, I couldn't care but here I'll explain: the wife and I were browsing in a Diamonds International shop on a vacation last month. I don't wear expensive clothes and always hide my watch under the sleeve before going in any such place.

Well, the corner of my PAM must have kinda flashed for a split second when I moved my arm to look at a piece because that was enough for him to notice and comment on it. I looked at my sleeve and the PAM was still covered but his attitude changed. That's not a clue I wanted to give him (or anyone else) but it's interesting that in this situation the salesman was looking for clues.

Kleen™

Slales people are ALWAYS looking for clues - that's a professional pre-requisite.

"Hello", he lied...

LT2014

I owned and wore daily for 31 years, a genuine Rolex Submariner 16800. Never once did anyone ask about my watch. On a few occasions, when discussing watches with someone, I would say this is my Rolex that I paid $950 for in 1983. I might get a " Wow, a Rolex....nice" but that's it. So......it appears the average person is oblivious. Wear what you want, what makes you feel good.....as long as you enjoy it. Forget about others and their comments. If they ask if it's real just ask them what they think? Leave it at that.