Sign in to follow this  
James.

Telling people your rep is a gen

James.

Just interested to get your input into why you think it's "bad"?

Why is it such a big deal?

Why do people care?

Who cares more about it, gen or rep owners?

Discuss

:popcorn:

nev848

I'm off to work.........

Mystery Shopper

Is this conversation happening in a AD store, eBay or in a M2M sales thread? In that case: bad.

James.

I wonder is anyone will risk being a contrarian to the status quo...

James.

Is this conversation happening in a AD store, eBay or in a M2M sales thread? In that case: bad.

Nope, I should have provided more strict parameters; The example would be in an unspecific conversation with friend/family/business colleague etc

"Nice watch"

"Thanks, Panerai, cost me a mint!"

etc etc

Not talking about scamming/misrepresenting sales etc

KeNnY

your avatar said it all :lol:

sosi91.jpg

it doesn't matter, most of the people I know here would never buy gen for that money and not even rep for 100+ Euro..... :lol:

TheInthusiest

As I said somewhere before. I always say it's Chinese. Usually people will think I'm lying so they'll think it's gen.

I won't stop them there.

mulder

I seen a bloke the other day with a rep breitling and when I asked about it I got a quick flash and he walked off. I think he was embarrassed. I don't know why. It looked ok. I wasn't going to challenge him about it.

Panerista

I'ts a bit like saying you have a 10 inch cock but really its 5 something :)

If someone asks about your rep, why lie? Honesty is always my first choice!

Del

I generally didn't lie outright about a rep but neither did I go out of my way to tell someone that it was a rep. I've passed reps off as gens by merely referring to my watch or the watch brand but I've also owned up to close friends.

Nowadays, I find myself having to go out of my way to tell people that my watches are gen! :rofl:

Kleen™

Owning reps is a personal choice.

Being a liar is an ethical compromise.

ShadyManc

If I'm asked if it's s rep I tell them it's a rep, which is usually followed by "lovely watch, can you get me one?"

Ricardo25

In the real real world, people don't ask about your watch. They might say "nice watch" or such like, but most people are unaware of manufacturers except tag, rolex and omega.

The only reps I wear are panerai, and I can afford the gens but I choose not to buy one as I think they are massively overpriced for what they are, and have limited wearability. I prefer to have, for example, a genuine Omega seamaster bond and a tag carerra (truly versatile watches) for the same cost as a gen 111 or 005.

Not one person has ever asked any questions about the panerai's authenticity.

In fact no-one has asked anything about them.

Ever!

We live in our little "watch world" and think people are looking/admiring our timepieces and thinking about "gen? Rep? Expensive? Cannon pin??? Rehaut??????? Etc" but they're not doing any of these things.......

They're trying to see what time it is!

Del

I thought that was what mobile phones were for? :D

dalboy

Why would you feel the need to pass your Rep of as a Gen. Maybe to impress. what other possible explanation could there be.

If so this impression is a false one and as such is not worth 2 bob !!

Besides people seem far more impressed at the rep , and quite often don' t believe you anyway, that's down to them.

I have principle running down my back bone , therefore lying over a authenticity of a watch doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Dal.

dfq23

In the real world the only people that really give a shit about watches are the type of people on here. Most members probably own a couple of gens but just like watches so supplement them with a few reps. The average person will prob just comment "nice watch" and leave it at that as they will have only heard of Rolex, tag or Omega as that's what James Bond wears.

And as has been said on here many times before they will assume your gen is a fake, before assuming your fake is a gen.

Ricardo25

I thought that was what mobile phones were for? :D

I have iPhone, as most people seem to have nowadays, and since the new iOS battery life is so poor, you can't risk looking at the yime on your phone!!!

Kaiser

I lie continuously about my reps being gen, in fact I even lie about my gens being rep :)

BaggyPants

Had a friend comment on the "fucking nice watch" I had on my wrist a few weeks ago. Immediately took it off my wrist, handed it over and told him it was a Chinese replica. Took some convincing, but now he wants one. I have never told anyone it is genuine, and I never would. I have in the past said a simple "thanks" when someone has admired a watch, but I wouldn't lie if they asked if it were a fake. What's the point. Nobody has ever asked though.

<RJ>
:popcorn:

BaggyPants

Besides people seem far more impressed at the rep , and quite often don' t believe you anyway, that's down to them.

+1

greg_r

Whilst close friends know I collect reps, with anyone else my attitude is that It's nobody's fucking business whether it's gen or rep... If they're impertinent enough to ask, they deserve whatever sarcasm I can summon at the time.

So my answer to your question would be "who cares?" ;)

Moepsel86

i would say, to friends and family you should be honest (always). And with random people you just go with the flow and see what happens.

At my work i have been confronted with people that work for schaap en citroen with is a watch shop in Holland. The first thing they do is look at

your wrist. No need te scam them if you know what i mean. They where actually really impressed by the quality of the reps i own.

marressey

The real truth is: NO ONE CARES!

I get as little comments/looks/attention when I wear my gen Omega SMP as when I wear my rep TAG Aquaracer or Breitling Steelfish.

Nobody cares about your watch. Except us loons in here, that is.

And about particular brands:

IF anyone would give a damn and IF you wear a Rolex, people will always assume it's a fake (since it's basically the only luxury brand that The Common Man knows about. They know it's expensive and if you don't look like an otherwise expensive persone their conclusion will always, always, always be F.A.K.E.). Otherwise? Pffft.

Dawg

I have only been asked twice, once by a cousin and once again by a work colleague. On the first occasion many years ago I was wearing my gen Omega Constellation. My nosy cousin thought it was a 'fake' and I thought no point arguing!. Recently I was complemented (which is the only time I have been complemented for my watch!) on my PAM 127. The 127 is a very noticeable watch but the person had not heard of Panerai....so the question of gen vs rep did not arise. I agree that all of us here love watches and will naturally notice them....most people don't care!!!