Sign in to follow this  
ellistyle1

My Perfect Collection

ellistyle1

I'm in marketing. I collect and (over)analyze data with the intent to develop the right package of the right set of stuff for the right set of people that are likely to buy something.

I looked in my swollen watch box yesterday and realized I should apply some of that same analysis as opposed to the compulsive mode of acquisition that I've adopted. This represents the next phase of my hobby or the next phase of my nerdery. Not sure which.

I want it to be only 6-10 Watches (this may be the toughest to accomplish barring the grail watch). Here are the watches that will comprise my perfect watch collection--with some apparent overlap in category.

• Diver
  • Pilot
  • Chrono
  • Vintage
  • Dress (Black)
  • Dress (Brown)
  • Sport
  • Military/Military Inspired
  • Compressor
  • Beater
  • Grail(s)

These are the features I'd like among those:

• Rotating Bezel
  • Inner rotating bezel
  • SS Bracelet
  • Nato
  • Rubber
  • GMT
  • Power Reserve Indicator

I'd also like Omega, Rolex, Panerai and boutique manufacture represented. My Grails are an Ochs & Junior, an IWC XI and a Memovox.

I just sold 2 from my collection this weekend, hoping to weed out and then rebuild to my perfect collection. There will be a few more hitting m2m, once I decide on the right watches to acquire to fill my requirement.

What suggestions would you give to fill my GMT and PR indicator voids? What would comprise your perfect collection?

StormyNight

My perfect collection?

7 Gen Submariners of various types.

James.

I strongly suggest the use of Excel, I had a few similar lists drawn up, ended up with a dozen tabs, fkin thing takes 30 seconds to load :lol:

Good to keep tabs on total expenditure and possible resale value/gross collection value vs future addition/prediction values etc.

ellistyle1

I strongly suggest the use of Excel, I had a few similar lists drawn up, ended up with a dozen tabs, fkin thing takes 30 seconds to load :lol:

Good to keep tabs on total expenditure and possible resale value/gross collection value vs future addition/prediction values etc.

Yeah--it's in excel. I am not sure how to feel about that. It certainly helped me visualize what I feel I need in a collection.

StormyNight

What males up your collection at present OP?

*makes (sorry)

ellistyle1

here is my current collection except the Cousteau and Portuguese are boxed and ready to be sent to m2m recipients.

I think the Rodina, speedmaster and PO are going to go too.

Jonnybaws

Agree with that list..

Apart for the fact I'm not too much into dress watches, I doubt I'd get that category of watch..

ellistyle1

Agree with that list..

Apart for the fact I'm not too much into dress watches, I doubt I'd get that category of watch..

Nomos! I am not sure what it is about the bauhaus design that makes me feel like I need occasion to wear that style of watch more. Really though this exercise is to help me find restraint....

jdog

That JLC NSD is doing you no favors in your collection, you should just sell it to me :)

All kidding aside you have decent start for what you're looking for. Unfortunately for me my "list" has just gotten longer than I'd like and the parts bin fuller for "project" stuff.

ellistyle1

That JLC NSD is doing you no favors in your collection, you should just sell it to me :)

All kidding aside you have decent start for what you're looking for. Unfortunately for me my "list" has just gotten longer than I'd like and the parts bin fuller for "project" stuff.

The JLC is on the untouchable list! bought one about a year ago and sold it about 6 months ago. Then, feeling the void, I repurchased one the next time I saw one pop on m2m. You need one of those.

Pseudonym

My perfect collection would be a box full of gens.

As I don't have unlimited funds... A box full of keepers & a few gens will have to do...

ellistyle1

My perfect collection would be a box full of gens.

As I don't have unlimited funds... A box full of keepers & a few gens will have to do...

Yeah that would be ideal. But unlimited resources aside, I want to craft the right set of gens. I am settling for the right set of gens and reps.

Daywatch

My PR&GMT watch choices are the JLC Master Geographique and the AP Royal Oak Dual time, both come with the 23j movement. This would be much easier if You´d just doubled the limits to 12-20:)

Panerista

I have youre dream list ... Muhaaaaa :)

ellistyle1

Let's see it!

ellistyle1

My PR&GMT watch choices are the JLC Master Geographique and the AP Royal Oak Dual time, both come with the 23j movement. This would be much easier if You´d just doubled the limits to 12-20:)

You're right. We'll see if I can manage <12.

The APs don't do much for me, but I like those Master Gepgraphiques.

ellistyle1

Let's see it!

There you go ;) taste is relative, but all the conditions are check ;)

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...1

Very nice. You're only missing a compressor...it's ok though, because that lume shot is badass!

Panerista

Let's see it!

There you go ;) taste is relative, but all the conditions are check ;)

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...1

Very nice. You're only missing a compressor...it's ok though, because that lume shot is badass!

What is a compressor?

ellistyle1

Here is a vintage wittnauer compressor. It may be marketing speak, but they typically have dual crowns, an internal rotating bezel and an internal case design that allows it to withstand greater underwater pressure.

SUPER_COMPRESSOR_THUMB.jpg

ellistyle1

I figured out my Perfect collection. I purged or purchased most this weekend. 6-10 isn't doable because of the growing grail factor. Here they are:

• Diver: JLC NSD (Rep), Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver (Gen)
  • Pilot: Archimede Bronze (Gen)
  • Chrono: TBD-Still reading reviews
  • Vintage: Tissot Seastar (Gen), Bulova Wrist Alarm (Gen), Tissot Visodate Compressor (Gen), Rolex 1016 (Rep)
  • Dress (Black): Tissot Seastar (Gen), Orient Star GMT (Gen-en route)
  • Dress (Brown): Bulova Wrist Alarm (Gen)
  • Sport: TBD
  • Military/Military Inspired: Timex Expedition Scout
  • Compressor: Tissot Visodate Compressor (Gen)
  • Beater: Timex Expedition Scout (Because it looks like an IWC XI). I need a true <$50 beater bc I fell off a ladder this weekend and was more worried about my watch than my wrist.
  • Grail(s) Gens: Nomos, Omega, Memovox, Tudor Heritage Ranger, Pam 512, Tol, Ochs & Junior

I've got all the features I mentioned in the original post in the 9 I now own or that are en route (plus the cool chrono I have my sights on). I am only buying from the grail list from here on out. However, that means nothing as I reserve the right to add to my grail list.

plankton

Man your missing the grail of watches......BK DSSD, AP 57th St, AP don ramon de la Cruz, TC Sub, SS lo-beat diver,

ellistyle1

What is the SS lo-beat diver?

plankton

What is the SS lo-beat diver?

AP stainless diver with a low beat movement, Diver 5.1 with some mods.

ellistyle1

autodromo-prototipo-02.jpg

This is going to be my chrono to complete my perfect collection--should arrive next week. I am only buying grails from now on....you have to help me with holding to that.