Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Fiddy from PWC

greg_r

Okay, here's the first budget PAM I came across that was worth having.

I'd been on the lookout for a PAM 127 "Fiddy" for some time. The problem was that it's a very big watch at 47mm and I wasn't sure that I'd be comfortable wearing it. I therefore didn't want to spend too much on it - but nevertheless wanted something decent.

I'd looked at a few versions around the $150 region, but hadn't found anything that looked reasonable until I came across this one from PWC for $99 a few months back. It arrived in just over a week, and Robert was very helpful answering questions before purchase. He's since become my preferred dealer - great service and competitive prices.

Good stuff:

The dial is nice and crisp, as are the hands.

The case looks the part - the CG isn't too bad at all and the crystal has a nice profile.

The lume is outstanding for such a cheap rep, although it doesn't last more than an hour or two.

The strap is pretty good - a little too stiff, but thick and quite comfortable once worn in. It looks very similar to the gen strap.

The movement is the ever-reliable Asian version of the 6497. No worries there although, of course, it's not the swan-neck version.

Not-so-good stuff:

The crown isn't quite thick enough and the CG lever is a bit floppy (which was easily fixed)

The printing on the dial, while crisp, is rather too faint.

The engraving on the CG isn't strong/deep enough and the shape isn't _quite_ right.

The crystal is mineral glass rather than sapphire (expected at the price) and suffers from a bit too much distortion.

The engravings on the movement are incorrect for a Fiddy (also unsurprising at this price and entirely as expected - note, however, that this doesn't apply to PWC's more recent version which has 'E' series bridges)

Overall a pretty good score for such an inexpensive rep. It feels like quality, has a good weight and gets a LOT of wrist time.

The only downside is that, having realised that whilst it's flamin' big, it's not TOO big (quite the contrary - it felt 'right' from the moment I put it on), I should definitely have bought a better one. I can see a PWC Ultimate Fiddy in my future as and when Robert gets another batch made.

Seriously, though, this is an amazingly high quality watch for the dough (and the newer version is even better).

pam127_1.jpg

pam127_w.jpg

oscarmadfish

yeah love that

looks vintage

no date spoils it for me

now give val doonagan his jumper back :Big Grin:

greg_r
now give val doonagan his jumper back :Big Grin:

lol - let me tell you, it gets bloody cold in my office (which is also the server room - so has airconditioning all year). The jumper stays :)

bene3

very nice looking watch

SliceMaster

This is how BORING Pams are:

hhzz23iks3it9.jpg

:lol::band:

AllergyDoc

:lol:

Them is fighting words on the watch boards!

I just sold my last PAM, a 127. I'm just not a PAM guy. Not for lack of trying.

Edited by AllergyDoc

AllergyDoc

HKTan is supposed to be sending me the free strap he offered a year or so ago when he took forever to send me my 2 straps. I guess I need to order a PAM to put on the strap--or is it the other way around? It's an alligator strap.

I was think about this one or the 113 Greg posted a review about.

greg_r
HKTan is supposed to be sending me the free strap he offered a year or so ago when he took forever to send me my 2 straps. I guess I need to order a PAM to put on the strap--or is it the other way around? It's an alligator strap.

What size is the strap?

The Fiddy is a 47mm watch, so needs a 26mm strap. The 113 is a 44mm watch and takes a 24mm strap...

jameo210369

Pams are still great looking watches, not sure if it's your pics but she looks old and distressed (GREAT) thanks for the pics Greg.

greg_r
Pams are still great looking watches, not sure if it's your pics but she looks old and distressed (GREAT) thanks for the pics Greg.

hmm - it does look quite 'vintage' out of the box, although the strap needed some work.

trailboss99

Nice buy! With a AR job and a ammo strap that would be just perfect.

Have you seen the PVD ones that D4M is doing group buys on?

pvdproject021.jpg

pvdproject020.jpg

Details:

113 or 114 Dial

PVD Case and Caseback

Asian 6497 Swan Neck Movement

Tall Canon Pinion Modification already performed :Hmmmph:

Price: $190

Shipping from China via EMS or HKP $25 (except to a couple countries in EU that require DHL,, shipping then is $45)

Sapphire Crystal with AR coating.

Col.

greg_r
Nice buy! With a AR job and a ammo strap that would be just perfect.

I'll skip the AR as the gen only has very light single AR. I'll admit I'm considering saving up for one of Robert's 'Ultimate' Fiddys, though. Ammo strap (or something similar) is on the cards too.

Have you seen the PVD ones that D4M is doing group buys on?

Col.

Yup - personally, I'm not fond of PVD on PAMs, and those white dials aren't the greatest... Decent value if you like the PVD look, though.

trailboss99

Appearntly you just can't get a good white dial. Not untill current stocks run out anyway.

Col.

greg_r
Appearntly you just can't get a good white dial. Not untill current stocks run out anyway.

Col.

True. It's not a big deal in a cheapie, but I must confess I wouldn't want to buy a more expensive rep with that dial (which is one of the reasons I bought my own cheapie recently rather than paying the extra for a more upmarket version).

AllergyDoc

What size is the strap?

The Fiddy is a 47mm watch, so needs a 26mm strap. The 113 is a 44mm watch and takes a 24mm strap...

Thanks for the reminder. The strap is 24mm. I would have had to buy another watch to fit the strap. :lol:

greg_r
Thanks for the reminder. The strap is 24mm. I would have had to buy another watch to fit the strap. :lol:

<highflyingclive> So then you would have two PAMs. I don't see the problem... </highflyingclive> ;)

AllergyDoc

I ordered his $99 111.

Edited by AllergyDoc

tkkit915

One of my frens in HK recently showed me this URL

Any of you buy from this guy before? It would appear that he's showing off that his rep 127 now has the "Y" shaped Incabloc as the genuine ones.. that's really cool and I wonder how much would that cost..

Okay, here's the first budget PAM I came across that was worth having.

I'd been on the lookout for a PAM 127 "Fiddy" for some time. The problem was that it's a very big watch at 47mm and I wasn't sure that I'd be comfortable wearing it. I therefore didn't want to spend too much on it - but nevertheless wanted something decent.

I'd looked at a few versions around the $150 region, but hadn't found anything that looked reasonable until I came across this one from PWC for $99 a few months back. It arrived in just over a week, and Robert was very helpful answering questions before purchase. He's since become my preferred dealer - great service and competitive prices.

Good stuff:

The dial is nice and crisp, as are the hands.

The case looks the part - the CG isn't too bad at all and the crystal has a nice profile.

The lume is outstanding for such a cheap rep, although it doesn't last more than an hour or two.

The strap is pretty good - a little too stiff, but thick and quite comfortable once worn in. It looks very similar to the gen strap.

The movement is the ever-reliable Asian version of the 6497. No worries there although, of course, it's not the swan-neck version.

Not-so-good stuff:

The crown isn't quite thick enough and the CG lever is a bit floppy (which was easily fixed)

The printing on the dial, while crisp, is rather too faint.

The engraving on the CG isn't strong/deep enough and the shape isn't _quite_ right.

The crystal is mineral glass rather than sapphire (expected at the price) and suffers from a bit too much distortion.

The engravings on the movement are incorrect for a Fiddy (also unsurprising at this price and entirely as expected - note, however, that this doesn't apply to PWC's more recent version which has 'E' series bridges)

Overall a pretty good score for such an inexpensive rep. It feels like quality, has a good weight and gets a LOT of wrist time.

The only downside is that, having realised that whilst it's flamin' big, it's not TOO big (quite the contrary - it felt 'right' from the moment I put it on), I should definitely have bought a better one. I can see a PWC Ultimate Fiddy in my future as and when Robert gets another batch made.

Seriously, though, this is an amazingly high quality watch for the dough (and the newer version is even better).

pam127_1.jpg

pam127_w.jpg

onionbag

Hello and welcome.:)

Any watch your 'friend' can get our Trusted Dealers can also get.....and at least we have confidence in them....unlike your 'friend'.

Cyril_Clunge

Advert for non TD removed. The N-Factory 127 is available from our TDs, Toro has some in stock I believe, check his section.

Abagnale

...showing off that his rep 127 now has the "Y" shaped Incabloc as the genuine ones.. that's really cool and I wonder how much would that cost..

seems to me like the 127n with incabloc modification...

tkkit915

So any of u experts pls tell me other sources for "127n with incabloc modification"... i want to do some research (e.g. comparing price) before i purchase.. tks heaps!!

...showing off that his rep 127 now has the "Y" shaped Incabloc as the genuine ones.. that's really cool and I wonder how much would that cost..

seems to me like the 127n with incabloc modification...

tkkit915

Thanks for the tips mate! :)

projectologist
ask Raywj, apparently he has already done this mod on his 111:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=38158&st=0&p=661050&#entry661050

cheerio

He bought the watch with the mod from me. Modder Ziggy in Canada did the inca mod. It was around $40, not sure of the exact price as it was part of a group mod with a couple of other watches.

But it looks like the inca-mod may be unnecessary in the near future as it comes now with the latest batch of 127/217's from the Noob factory. Hopefully that will be standard with the next run of watches after the Chinese New Year.